Best Science Fiction Book Or Movie Since 1970

Tools    

May The Forks be With Us
What do you think has been the best science fiction movie or book if it is a book but no movie was made since 1970.

My Choice:
STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI

"Snozberries taste like snozberries"

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
By far, hands down, absolutely no contest that title goes to Contact. I don't care what anyone else says, that movie suspended disbelief like no other science fiction movie. And after all, isn't that what makes for the best sci-fi. It's one thing to create an outlandish story, but then it just becomes science fantasy (like all the Star Wars films), but then you get something like Contact which is a perfect representation as to what would happen in that fictious scenario. To me the movie is flawless and is in my top 10 of all time. But I also am a huge freeking dork.

Plus it has one of THE best shots ever captured on film. Jenna Malone running up those stairs. It boggles my mind every damn time I see it.

Event Horizon - Don't ask me why. Just somethin' about space ships that gives me the willies' for reallies'.

And this is my BOOMstick!
Best Sci-Fi book ever? I'd have to say "Stainless Steel Rat."

For book it would be 'On a Pale Horse' by Peirs Anthony. It's about the Human who takes over the incarnation of the Grim Reaper and gets the job of Death. I always thought it would be an amazing movie

BladeRunner (1982 - Ridley Scott), of course.

And P.K. Dick's Valis is my favorite novel.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

**** Blade Runner. I really see no reason whatsoever as to why everyone consistently goes ape**** over this movie. It is by no means a bad movie and by technical merits it is a wonderfully crafted film...but I just do not see why everyone deems it the greatest science fiction movie ever. Anyone care to enlighten me?

A system of cells interlinked
Blade Runner hands down....

runners up is 12 Monkeys and Solaris

Books would have to be....

Rendezvous with Rama
Snow Crash

OG - I like Blade Runner because it speaks about humanity and existence on so many levels. Add to that technical brilliance that hasn't yet been matched as of this writing. The opening shots are magnificent, and there is no CGI involved; still the best dystopic landscape I have ever seen on film. The characters are unique, involving, and passionate. The photography is stellar...I could go on, but some others may have something to add....

Originally Posted by OG-
**** Blade Runner. I really see no reason whatsoever as to why everyone consistently goes ape**** over this movie. It is by no means a bad movie and by technical merits it is a wonderfully crafted film...but I just do not see why everyone deems it the greatest science fiction movie ever. Anyone care to enlighten me?
There are bunches of threads discussing BladeRunner in detail. You ain't a newbie, so use the search function like a big boy.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
There are bunches of threads discussing BladeRunner in detail. You ain't a newbie, so use the search function like a big boy.
I don't see why a science fiction movie shouldn't be openly discussed in a thread dedicated to science fiction movies...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I read your stinking thread. I think I'm going to have to do what TSB did and actually watch it by myself in some 5.1, maybe I'll appreciate it more then. I'd post in there, but I don't have an arguement as to why I didn't like the movie, I just don't have any arguement as to why I did.

From my previous viewings of it, I just didn't get any sort of personal reaction to it, which could quite possibly be intentional since the main characters are indeed not really human. However, Contact I have a personal relationship with, so I am admittedly highly biased towards it.

I have a rather long list of movies I need to watch in the upcoming weeks, so I'll readd Blade Runner to it, but it'll be a bit before I get a chance to take it in again.

Originally Posted by OG-
Yeah, yeah, yeah....I don't have an arguement as to why I didn't like the movie, I just don't have any arguement as to why I did.
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

See, the way to get me to discuss it with you is to have something intelligent to say on your end. "Fu*k Bladerunner" doesn't get my juices going. There's no reason to respond with wit or time to something so devoid of both.

My favorite is Akira, but not because I think it's deep sci-fi so much as because it's incredible animation, a perfect stylized synthesis of print and film storytelling by a true master. In conjunction with Otomo's short film Memories this is amongst my favorite movies of all time. But I dont think it's great science fiction. It's Ridley Scott's Blade Runner for me.

My favorite science fiction novel of all time is The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula Leguin. Woman in the Dunes, by Kobo Abe is another favorite.

I havent read too many from the seventies or later but my favorites are Abe's The Box Man and K. Dick's Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said.

I plan on reading Valis this weekend (if there's time left over after I finish all my readings for my constitutional law class.)

See, the way to get me to discuss it with you is to have something intelligent to say on your end. "Fu*k Bladerunner" doesn't get my juices going. There's no reason to respond with wit or time to something so devoid of both.
Yeah, but see you don't need to discuss anything with me since I don't have anything to discuss back. That, sir Holden, would be a lecture, not a discussion. And since you already pointed me towards your views, which is precisely what I asked for (someone's reasoning for liking the film so much), and I've already responded that I don't have any comments to make at the time, then a discussion isn't in order just yet. Jerkface.

Originally Posted by OG-
...I've already responded that I don't have any comments to make at the time, then a discussion isn't in order just yet. Jerkface.
Trying oh so hard to annoy, and you're only success thus far is at boring. Study up!

Trying oh so hard to annoy, and you're only success thus far is at boring. Study up!
Is it possible to have a success at boring? Study up!

May The Forks be With Us
this is supposed to be about sci-fi not some petty argument. blade runner was a great movie. some people disagree some people agree. it took me a few times to watch it to really like it but i also think that harrison ford is one of the greatest actors of our time.