The Village

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by Garrett
At least, was it as good as you expected?
Not at all. Unlike "Signs" which kept you interested throughout, The Village dragged on. M. Night Shylaman took his sweet time getting to the surprise twist. Waiting for it is what kept me awake.

The End Has Come
Is it just me but in M. Night Shylaman movies the sound/music and lighting is what makes me jump in my seat not the creatures themselves.

Neutral Milk Hotel
this movie sucked
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Neutral Milk Hotel
Seth!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw it a few weeks ago, I thought it was interesting, also the ending was good.

I don't know when it's no longer appropriate to wrap things in spoiler tags...

So, to be safe I guess I'll do it here:

WARNING: "The Village" spoilers below

I thought one of the most compelling parts of the story line was the character of Noah (Adrien Brody). The whole point of the elders constructing the fabrication of the village was to somehow escape the evil of men. They thought that by isolating themselves from society they could also isolate themselves from evil. The fact that Noah was born within the village and then commits acts of evil underscores the idea that evil comes from within ourselves and is not some external and mysterious force.

I'm a bunch of a hell!
I enjoy watching it..

I heard that this movie ranked in box office sales on its opening weekend in the United States...that makes me conclude that the movie have something to be impressed of...

I heard that this movie ranked in box office sales on its opening weekend in the United States...that makes me conclude that the movie have something to be impressed of...
It made $50 million, which is quite good, sure, but it dropped off very quickly after that, and concluded with $114 domestically. Most films finish with roughly three times their opening weekend gross; anything less generally indicates poor word-of-mouth.

It wasn't just front-loaded in general, however; it was front-loaded even on its first weekend, making $20 million of its $50 million on the very first day. That generally indicates a film with a very fervent fan base, which, in turn, generally implies that it doesn't have a terribly broad appeal.

However, given director M. Night Shyamalan's financial success with The Sixth Sense and Signs, it was widely hailed as a disappointment, both financially and (moreso) critically. I myself thought it was solid; certainly an above-average film, but definitely one that would have been better-received with the many preconceptions people brought to it. It probably didn't help that someone on this forum (in this very thread, I think) spoiled the ending for me before I saw it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I get tired of this film getting ripped apart because 'it wasn't scary ' or 'it didn't have a gud twist'. I think The Village, like the underrated Stigmata, suffered from being marketed as a horror film, then boring all the 'It's Saturday night and I'm too young to get into a pub' crowd by paying more attention to aesthetics than gore.

I actually did find it scary, maybe that's because I don't watch a lot of horror movies.

WARNING: "The Village" spoilers below
I found the part where Ivy was trailed by one of the creatures in the woods genuinely scary. Yes, we had just been shown that the creatures were village elders dressed up, but here was one out in the woods. To me, it seemed that perhaps they were real after all (that would have been a twist ending!), and the tension was notched up fairly effectively by good camerawork and music.

I liked the 'fairytale' look of the film, especially when she comes to a giant hedge on the other side of the woods. I thought it was well acted. I also liked the way it came together at the end - when you realise why they won't let Lucius go to the outside world, you also realise why Ivy is the only one of the youngsters who could go - because she is blind and will not see what it looks like, and because they will recognise her name and know who she is and where she comes from and not trouble her.

It wasn't perfect, sure, and if you have seen Brotherhood of the Wolf, it casts some doubt on its originality, but still a good film.

I'm a bunch of a hell!
I find the movie not scary but creepy though...