The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

70's Hackman rules and Night Moves made my ballot

The Nice Guys may as well be called The Suck Guys as far as I'm concerned.

Love Pulp Fiction and Lebowski but don't view either as a fit for this countdown.

1. Killer Joe (#66)
3. Gone Baby Gone (#64)
4. The Player (#47)
9. Mona Lisa (#78)
11. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (#62)
12. Body Double (#69)
15. The Driver (#79)
17. Night Moves (#40)
21. Manhunter (#77)
24. Bound (#59)

Why did I consider Lebowski Noir and not Pulp? Got me, but I am sure I had a reason at the time. Anyway, both rock and are among my faves ever. Lebowski was my 7 for this list.

Personally, I don't consider it neo-noir. But based on the eligibility rules that we set up, it was eligible. The thing with Tarantino, which I tried to address in the articles I linked earlier, is that he borrows elements from so many sources and films that it makes his films so hard to define, classify, and box. With that in mind, of course there are neo-noir elements in Kill Bill; there is narration, flashbacks, creative use of lights and shadows, characters with ambiguous morals, a revenge storyline...

It all depends in how much weight you give to those elements over the whole of the film. Personally, I didn't consider it, but I will only say that some people saw enough of it to label it as such in some of the sources, and some people saw enough of it to check it out and vote for it. Whether it made it or not, remains to be seen.
Well, the eligibility rules are what they are, so I can’t argue with that, but let’s say of the thousand influences you can find in Kill Bill, noir is so far down the list that we might as well have allowed every black & white movie released since 1960. And that’s all I’ll say on that.

I love both of these films. All-time faves. Top 50 material. Endlessly rewatchable. Not on my neo noir list though. When I first started making my list I went through and listed (almost) everything that would qualify, and sorted by personal rating. But then I took a second look and started removing a bunch that even though they qualified it didn't feel right to me at the time. See ya Lebowski. So long Pulpy.

That said I feel The Big Lebowski was the one I had the most trouble with because it plays on noir themes and plots in such a fun way. It deserves to be here. And while I was convinced the same at the time I figured enough people were voting for it and I wanted to give another Coen film my money.

People asking about other Coen films to make it? Surely Miller's Crossing and Blood Simple will rank high. Maybe The Man Who Wasn't There makes it too. Probably Fargo...which I will heap praise on like these other two nineties classics that made the cut...but also exclaimed when making my final list: "I choose not to vote for it!" Anyway at least three more Coen films.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Well, the eligibility rules are what they are, so I can’t argue with that, but let’s say of the thousand influences you can find in Kill Bill, noir is so far down the list that we might as well have allowed every black & white movie released since 1960. And that’s all I’ll say on that.
I agree with 50% of your post

I forgot the opening line.
I'm shocked, shocked, that I haven't got Pulp Fiction or The Big Lewbowski on my ballot - which in both cases means I did not consider them for the countdown. Pulp Fiction I simply didn't connect with neo noir, and Lebowski was too much of a comedy to come to mind when thinking of possible films to vote for. For some reason I can't fit comedies into Neo Noir-inclusive categories.

40. Night Moves - Haven't seen it.

39. The Nice Guys - I've seen this, and I think it's fine. I don't have so much love for it that I'd be pushing it forward amongst my favourite films though, so it quickly gets forgotten. I'd be okay with watching it again if I had to - it's that kind of okay. Gosling once again got to show he's versatile enough for comedic roles after showing such signs appearing in the winsome Lars and the Real Girl.

38. The Big Lebowski - One of my all-time favourite films, but it's not on my ballot. It's just a strange interpretation thing, because obviously this film has a very up-front film noir-inspired narrative and style. I just didn't think of it because when thinking of neo noir I always think about serious films, and this is a comedy. I mean, noir=dark, and although there are dark comedies out there (you could argue this is one) I never think of a comedy as noir.

37. Pulp Fiction - Another of my all-time favourite films - and another that's not on my ballot. It didn't stand out to me as neo noir, and as such it never came to mind while I compiled my list. I'm not saying it's definitely not - I'm just saying it's a bit hazy when it comes to Pulp Fiction. I wonder what other unexpected surprises I'm in for!

Seen : 40/64

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Some of the people who submitted ballots certainly had that issue.

Correct. I was not thrilled with my ballot and felt like it was off. Partly because my mind got wiped and I forgot just about every classic neo-noirs of the 70s that seem quintessential neo-noirs (with only one exception I consciously omitted). And googling lists of greatest neo-noirs... basically looks a lot like what we're getting in this countdown. I didn't consider just looking for random letterboxd lists labeled neo-noir (though I also just threw my ballot together at the last minute). I've got a lot of questionable entries on it.

I have a lot of Coens' movies on my ballot, but not The Big Lebowski, mainly because it's one other people love a lot more than me, always leaving me in a weird space of how I feel about it, like, I should like it more (and at a high level, I don't know why I don't. It has all the elements of a movie that should work).

Pulp Fiction - one I never considered, but compared to Kill Bill, it's riffing off of a lot of French New Wave influences, some of which seemed foundational for neo-noir, so it seems like a legit one to consider. It's also just a movie that I find myself enjoying rather than loving (or hating, which is a clashing phenomenon I experienced with it ever since its release, in contrast to other (young-ish) people who were just quickly declaring it one of the greatest movies of all time). So, no vote.

ETA: one pattern I'm noticing with these two and the one afore-mentioned quintessential neo-noir from the 70s that I omitted from my ballot, one way for me to omit a movie is if I simply enjoyed it and I get the strong sense other people considered it one of the greatest movies of all time. Just saying it now for when we get to its reveal in the top 5, 3, 1(?)-spot.

7lists106points
Dog Day Afternoon
Director

Sidney Lumet, 1975

Starring

Al Pacino, John Cazale, Charles Durning, Chris Sarandon

9lists112points
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Director

Robert Zemeckis, 1988

Starring

Bob Hoskins, Christopher Lloyd, Joanna Cassidy, Charles Fleischer

TRAILERS

Dog Day Afternoon - When three amateur thieves attempt to rob a bank in New York, things quicky go wrong, resulting in a complicated hostage situation. Meanwhile a media circus unfolds outside while law enforcement scrambles to end the standoff.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - Set in a world where cartoons and humans co-exist, a human private eye is hired by a cartoon producer to investigate the potential adultery of the wife of his biggest star, Roger Rabbit. However, when the alleged lover ends up dead, Roger has to flee from the ruthless Judge Doom.

Dog Day Afternoon is a pretty good film that moves swiftly and effectively across different genres and moods. Here is my review from my latest rewatch, and also an excerpt from it:

"In the midst of its spectacle, Dog Day Afternoon manages to put a spotlight not in the event, but in the characters and the circumstances that drive them. It is a wildly effective mixture of drama, humor, social commentary, and thrills, with a clever script and some great performances."
However, this is yet another case of a film I don't see as neo-noir. So no vote from me.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is one I hadn't thought of until someone brought it up on the preliminary thread. Granted, I haven't seen it in a very long time, but what stuck with me was good. The way it plays with noir conventions while staying true to its comedic/cartoon sensibilities is impressive, Hoskins is the perfect lead for it, and Judge Doom is an extremeley memorable villain. This one was my #10.

SEEN: 41/66
MY BALLOT: 12/25

My ballot  

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is my #9. I was afraid it wouldn't show up on the list at all, being a family comedy, but to me it's Bob Hoskins performance that helps make it true neo Noir. The scene with him and R.K. Maroon, later in the film, is amazing.

Dog Day Afternoon is another good one, but it didn't quite make my list.

Dog Day Afternoon is fantastic, but just missed my ballot. I like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but it was never in contention for my ballot.

53/66

Two films I really like and oddly didn't vote for either, I didn't remember them. Both deserve a spot on the countdown.

I wrote this:
Dog Day Afternoon
(Sidney Lumet 1975)

Second watch and it's still amazing! I loved every minute of it and every character too from Sonny & Sal to Leon to the city cop in charge and all the women bank tellers. Talk about some stellar acting! These people seemed real.

They just couldn't make this movie today. First off you would never get a major city like Brooklyn to close down a city block to film a movie. And you'd never get that many extras packed onto the street if they did manage to get permits to close off the street for shooting. And no way in hell would they ever allow a helicopter to hover so low over a crowd of people. None of that would be happening these days, it would be all done with CG. And you couldn't tell a personal story like this because some producer or director would want to ramp up the picture and get a thrill a minute, adrenal fueled movie and turn this into a thriller...Thank goodness for the 1970s!

When this countdown was announced, I immediately knew that Who Framed Roger Rabbit was going to take the top position on my ballot. All the Noir elements are there and it's just a really fun, inventive, and hilarious movie that I have loved since its release. I was starting to get worried that it wasn't going to show and I'm really happy to see that those worries were unfounded.

I've seen Dog Day Afternoon and liked it. I voted for it in the 70s Countdown but I don't think it ever came to mind while compiling my Neo Noir ballot.

My Ballot:
1. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (#35)
2. You Were Never Really Here (#50)
3. The Man From Nowhere (#87)
4. The Departed (#53)
5. The Big Lebowski (#38)
7. True Romance (#60)
12. Shutter Island (#86)
13. The Nice Guys (#39)
14. Inherent Vice (#41)
16. Pulp Fiction (#37)
17. Killer Joe (2011) (#66)

Another two films that I like quite a bit but are they noir films? I don't know about that. Regardless they qualified and earned their spots.

2 for 2 and neither on my list. I was really late in finally watching Dog Day Afternoon. It more than earns it's reputation as a classic. Pacino was scary good. Anyone who debates whether or not he's just going through the motions at this point in his career needs to watch this. Or maybe roles like this aren't available to actors his age. How dare he get old? John Cazale should be mentioned anytime people talk about great talents that are no longer with us.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit would not have been one of my picks. It's noir alright, neo or otherwise. And I remember liking it the one time I watched it. But no, it would not have been one of my picks.

44 of the 66 seen so far.

I rewatched Roger Rabbit not too long ago. First time since theater. I was pleasantly by how well it held up, but I still don’t think it’s great.

Dog Day Afternoon is one of the greatest movies ever but it isn’t…who the hell cares.

Reply to Topic