Mad Men fans?

Tools    

Glad you enjoyed it so much Christine. I did enjoy it but I think I wanted to be blown away these last couple of episodes and I wasn't here. The Pete stuff was really good. A satisfying conclusion if this is the last we see of him. That scene with the doctor and Betty in the background was very poignant. Quite a commentary without throwing it in your face.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I really loved the episode, thought it was a great conclusion to Betty's arc. While I liked the Don storyline, i'm not sure that it was needed when there are only two episodes left in the whole series. I'm beginning to worry that the finale won't offer a satisfying conclusion to his character.

I really loved the episode, thought it was a great conclusion to Betty's arc. While I liked the Don storyline, i'm not sure that it was needed when there are only two episodes left in the whole series. I'm beginning to worry that the finale won't offer a satisfying conclusion to his character.
My biggest problem was the Don stuff. It was fine, it just didn't feel second to last episode good to me. Felt like a middle season, middle episode kind of story.

My biggest problem was the Don stuff. It was fine, it just didn't feel second to last episode good to me. Felt like a middle season, middle episode kind of story.
Gotta agree with you there. I liked the storyline but they could have placed that somewhere earlier in the season indeed. I don't know what my expectations should be coming into the finale. There are still quite a few storylines to wrap up-Peggy,Pete,and of course Don among a few others.

I liked The Sopranos ending as there were clues and thematic hints throughout the final season that explained the "cut to black" ending. I hope this show doesn't pull for something like that though.

Come to think of it. I could see that shot of Peggy walking in confidently with her painting being the end for her. I hope not but I can see Weiner ending her story there.

yes Sean i think you could be right about no more Peggy or Pete. I'd be alright with an unresolved ending. I'm not keen on things having neatly wrapped up endings, life just ain't like that. As long as we can see where Don's mindset is going I'll be happy.

I think we might be done with Pete Lucas. I feel like we might only see Peggy and Don this week.
I really hope this is the end for Pete, as it's a satisfying and happy conclusion. However Duck is such an..untrustworthy character at that. I am not sure if he is someone to be trusted.

As for Peggy, that might potentially be her final scene but I sure as heck hope not. Uggh I really don't know what to expect with the finale. I'll be going in with mild expectations.

I actually like that ending for Peggy but I am being selfish. She is my second favorite character and I want to see her some more. An hour with Don to end it could be really nice too. I am fairly optimistic despite my kind of dislike of Don's story last episode.

It's on tonight for you guys isn't it? I'll catch up with you on Thursday. I'll have to operate some self control not to check this thread out before then!
PM me Sean with a thumbs up or down, but nothing more!

It's on tonight for you guys isn't it? I'll catch up with you on Thursday. I'll have to operate some self control not to check this thread out before then!
PM me Sean with a thumbs up or down, but nothing more!
You got it.

I say no as well. My wife predicted a couple episodes ago that he wouldn't come back and that seems very likely now.
Yrah, I am with her. Although you need to warn her now that I predicted it the episode will open with him back in his office like nothing ever happened.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Well, this has to have spoilers, because I'm writing this about a minute after the series just ended...

WARNING: "Mad Men ending" spoilers below
So, is the assumption that Don was smiling because he'd just thought of a great ad campaign for Coke?

I gotta say yes, meaning he came back and worked on Coke. Too many people in that ad (which was real, BTW -- I remember that campaign very clearly) looked like people at the retreat with him.

Right up until about seven minutes before it ended (yes, seven minutes! I looked at the clock!), I was sure I was going to be really pissed off when the closing credits hit ... but somehow Weiner redeemed himself in those closing minutes.

I'm okay with it. This... coming from the woman who was pissed at the endings of LOST, and (parts of ) BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, and THE SOPRANOS.

I'm disappointed with the finale, and that's coming from someone who loves The Sopranos ending. This episode just felt...mediocre. Nothing was particularly special and I kept waiting for the episode to hit me. Nope. Did not happen. I really expected more from Weiner and the writers of the show. Expected alot more in fact.

Oh well.

I've let the finale marinate a little bit more now, and I'm beginning to feel a bit kinder towards it. It's far from a "great" finale, but I suppose I was being a bit harsh on it. I was just expecting something more, but I suppose this is a serviceable end for the characters.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yes, I guess that's what I meant by "redeemed" himself, Lucas. I was beginning to really worry he'd pull a stunt ending and would cop out. I don't need endings to be completely wrapped up, but if you're telling a story, it should have an ending that feels something like an ending.

Despite the fact that a lot of this season (especially stuff with Don) felt like filler, I liked that they gave nods to all the major players at the end. I especially liked Peggy's wrap-up. I had been thinking for a long time that this should have happened to her, but I honestly did NOT expect Weiner to do that for me. So, yeah, yay Peggy.