Fantasy Baseball

Tools    

This should be a blast. I can't wait to get a few weeks into it so I can really start getting a bead on what I need to do each day or week. I'm ridiculously obsessive about figuring stuff out so I doubt it will take long to do. I'm slowly learning about some of the guys on my team too, which is kind of fun. I know a few guys in Baseball but its pretty tough to really get a handle on all of them.

How many of you have used the stat tracker for Baseball before? Is it worth it? I'm sure I'll end up getting it anyway. Does it pretty much run 24/7 or what? I mean Baseball is pretty much on all the time so I guess it would have to almost.

Oh, and I just got a fresh shipment of 'Roids' in. So I got that goin' for me... which is nice.

The Stat-Tracker is a must in Fantasy Baseball. I think it would be really hard without it. Let me get some of those roids PW.

I haven't used the baseball one but I'm guessing it's about as fun/helpful/whatever as the football one, particularly considering you can use it almost every day. Of course, the games are spread out a bit more, but yeah, I'll almost certainly spring for it.

Looks like it'll be free until April 19th, anyway, to entice people into buying, so you should be able to get a look at it first.

First game's tomorrow night! Don't forget to double-check your lineups, MoFos.

I admit, a month ago I wasn't that jazzed for the season, or the league, or anything baseball-related, but it gets me every year, and 2009 is no exception. I'm probably not as into it as I have been in some past years, but I'm a lot more excited than I was.

It probably helps that I'm going to the Pirates home opener (day off work...woohoo), and that I couldn't be much happier with my team.

Play ball.

So do you know much about how our "win and losses" are tallied? Is it like Mikey was saying and its strictly a heads up versus every category? And then what? At the end of the week however many categories you win is your total wins and however many you lose is your losses and so on?

Does that make sense?

It's definitely heads-up; beyond that, I'm not positive, but I think your interpretation is correct.

In the last league I was in each category was a win or a loss (or a tie) at the end of the week, and the scoreboard on the league site would seem to imply the same thing. So I think that's probably the way it is. Which means we'll be playing a lot more "games" than a regular baseball season, but I think that's normal.

A system of cells interlinked
Why does my Util slot say PPD next to it? Should I have two Util dudes?

I am not sure how all this works... I am starting both Youkalis and Texiera today... which looks like a mistake, yeah? If Youk plays first base and not third, I end up with no third baseman? I can't sit Texiera... But I like Youk! Should I just put a full time 3rd player in instead of Youk?

Signed,

Captain No Clue

Some players have multi-position eligibility, and in some cases this makes them a lot more valuable. Under Youk's name you should see "1B, 3B" indicating that he can play at either position.

I believe your utility slot says PPD because that player's game has been Postponed. Definitely want to swap him out before the deadline.

By the by, possibly a nice pick up with Scherzer. I didn't really want to drop him, but just had too many players I wanted to pick up, and needed the saves that I think Motte should end up getting me.

The waiver wire should be crazy insane this year, given the daily lineups and the fact that we have 10 teams in a mixed league.

Yeah - I changed my pitching around a bit. I also grabbed Putz, as someone said I needed more relief, and I saw some good press on him.

Alas, I need to make a couple of emergency moves, as I have a couple of slots not playing today, and my back-ups are off, too.

So, now I need another outfielder, but I am unsure who to drop....

OK, so Youk will still get his numbers in the third base slot on my roster, even though he plays first today?

I wouldn't mind a little help/direction getting my roster going today, even though we are playing this first game.

Gah - I don't see any other Util players available... is that right?

You can play Swisher at the OF slot; he's eligible at 1B and OF. Then you can play Encarnacion at the UT spot and avoid having to make any moves. EDIT: nevermind, I didn't realize you'd already dropped Swisher.

Re: Youk. I'll have to make sure that Yahoo doesn't have some crazy rules, but yeah, if a player is eligible at a position, they can play that position on your team, and it doesn't matter what position they end up playing at in real life. I'm pretty sure eligibility each year is determined by the number of games played at each position from the previous year, too, so I don't think it'll change all year long.

Bah - Sox just got rained out, so that's two more slots that went belly up for me. Looks like today is a wash.

AND - As I typed this, Santana went on the DL, so there goes my number 2 starter...

My back-up 3rd base just went PPD, as well... Terrible.

I can;t make any moves, as it seems the changes I made today don't go through until tomorrow. For instance, i still have Swisher, whom I will play, even though he is clearly one of the worst players in the game, and I picked him up at the end of the draft. Alas, none of the other changes that would have helped me went through. Bummer.

Yeah, if you get too close to certain start times the lineup locks, though I'm surprised that it would have done so already, at 11 AM. I take it it's not something obvious, like selecting the wrong date? I do that sometimes.

Anyway, yeah, some of the waiver moves take awhile. I think it's the same as football, though; anyone who's cleared waivers (or went undrafted), you can pick up and play immediately.

The Boston thing definitely sucks for you, though, but fantasy baseball is nice in that you accumuluate stuff all week, so it's harder for things like that to sink you. 'Course, they pretty much never postpone a football game, but still.

Well, these Waiver dudes were available, but they won't show up in today's line-up at all. They are there for tomorrow. I made the moves much earlier today, too, as you can see, yet Swisher is still eligible to play for me today; I dumped him first thing this morning.

Today is just a big 'ol loss, for sure. More than half my pitchers are out, and 7 out of 14 position guys are out. I just don;t have even close to enough players to fill a roster, and I can't make any moves to replace even one of the players, because Free Agents just aren't appearing on my roster when I make the moves.

So, my season officially starts tomorrow, and I will of course not be counting this game in the overall Yoda/Sedai record, as my season doesn;t really start today if my players season doesn;t really start until tomorrow, yeas? I mean, the Red Son season does not actually start today, so this game can't count, right? No games should count unless the teams have officially started the season, IMO.

So, I am having some confusion as to how things work. The Braves/Phillies opener was April 5, which was last night. I have Derek Lowe as a pitcher, and he appears to be in my lineup.

I just read this:

"Lowe pitched eight superb innings, three Braves homered off Brett Myers, and Atlanta beat the defending champs 4-1 in the major league opener Sunday night."

Why doesn't Lowe have any sort of score yet? Yahoo clearly and directly states:

"Important: Head-to-Head leagues must draft by March 29th to start scoring in fantasy Week 1, which runs March 30th - April 12th."

So, Fantasy has clearly started, and yet my players aren't scoring.

So - Half my players went on the DL or got postponed, and the ones that did play already aren't posting any stats.

I take it our league, because it is so small, won't start scoring for a while or something?

Last night did not count. I don't know why, I thought the same as you. Yeah Lowe had a great game, I watched it. It officially starts keeping score today.

Don't concede just yet.

Anyway, the games are the categories themselves, spread out over the week, so you can't win or lose a given day by itself. Unless I'm mistaken (possible...there are more variants in fantasy baseball than fantasy football). The good news is that the first series is longer than the others; they're usually about a week, but this one is closer to two, probably to account for the irregularities in the schedule we always see at first.

The rainouts are definitely a bummer and are probably pissing a lot of fantasy owners off.