Fantasy Baseball

Tools    

After the success and all the fun that several MoFo's are having this fantasy Football season I was hoping perhaps we could do the same for the upcoming Baseball season. I see Yoda tried to get one of these up and running about 4 years ago and didn't seem to get too many takers, so in hopes that we have more Baseball fans this time around, what do ya say?

Take it from me a first time fantasy Football team owner its extremely simple to do and it makes watching the games so much more enjoyable. Plus the added bonus of already having a community forum where you talk about your team or just bash others is just totally choice. I know there are some pretty hard core Baseball fans here so here's your chance for MoFo domination.

Spring training is literally right around the corner so please chime in here and we'll see how this shakes out. I'm hoping Yoda will be interested once again so we can just take advantage of his movie forums account that he already has established. I'm not sure how many people we need to have our own league but for now I want to test the water and see if anyone is interested.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've never been a fantasy owner of any kind, but if it's as easy as you say, I'd give it a shot.

It is. When we had our fantasy draft here for the MoFo league the computer picked my whole team. All I did was sign in the next day and started tweaking my lineup. I'm sure the Baseball roster is no different.

If you watch a lot of Baseball then you will most certainly have an advantage. You can easily switch players around to get good match ups. Its also addicting, with none of the side effects of a bad drug trip.

A fine idea, and you're right, the football league working out pretty well should help get this off the ground a bit this time around.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of rotisserie leagues; I prefer head-to-head. Assuming that's what everyone else wants, I'd probably play -- I already play in a keeper league, but I'm not nuts about the way it's run and am seriously considering not coming back next year.

Anyway, I'd be interested to see who else might want to give it a go. I don't think we'd have too much trouble finding 12.

Yeah, I was hoping you would be interested. I know very little about how these things work so if you think head to head is the way to go then that's fine by me.

We can sort out particulars later. Like perhaps telling me what head to head is...

A system of cells interlinked
Count me in!

Okay, got it all set up:

MoFo Fantasy Baseball 2009

Just post here if you want in. I know Swedish, PW, Mark, Slug, and Sedai already do, so I'll send you all PMs now with the league password, and off we go.

I've set the league draft for Saturday, March 14th, but we can push it back a week if need be. Either way we'll have at least a couple of weeks to get ready, get everyone signed up, and iron out any objections to the rules/stat categories that've been chosen. Right now the categories are:

Hitters:
  • R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, AVG, OBP, SLG
Pitchers:
  • IP, W, L, SV, BB, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP
That's nine for each. Lemme know if anyone has any objections to using these. A few possible changes would be to add errors for hitters, and something like appearances for pitchers, though I assume we'll want to keep the number of categories even either way.

I am in! Head to head is the way to go. I would suggest cutting down a couple of the catagories though. Probaly I would cut from hitters BB,K,SLG and Pitchers HLD,BB,IP. In the league I was in last year we had less catagories and it took a lot of dedication. If there are going to be people new to fantasy we should definitly cut some of the catagories.

I'm certainly open to it, though I'd like to hear as many opinions as possible. I'm a little partial to holds, if only because without them relievers get almost no valuable unless they save games, but it partially depends on how many teams we end up with.

I think slugging percentage is pretty necessary, though; without it we're only measuring home runs, and not offering extra credit for doubles or triples above simple singles. Unless I'm missing something (very possible).

You're a Genius all the time
I like the stats you went with except, yeah, you don't really need to count walks of any kind as long as you've got WHIP for pitchers and OBP for hitters. Either way, though.

And as long as nobody has any objections, would it be possible to move the draft to the 21st? I'm going to a show in Boston on the 14th and fantasy sports are kind of lame if you don't get to draft your own team. Go Mongooses!

I'm cool with moving it to the 21st, which is what I had it at initially, actually.

And yeah, I toyed with the idea of removing BB, but wasn't sure. Some overlap is inevitable with things like OBP and AVG, but OBP makes too much sense, and AVG is a fantasy staple whether it should be or not, so I tilted slightly towards more categories.

Anyway, more thoughts always appreciated on all these issues; IE: removing some categories, moving to the 21st, etc.

Whatever everyone wants to do is fine with me. Cutting categories was only a suggestion. I just tought for fantasy baseball newcomers it would be a little easier.

A system of cells interlinked
I like the stats you went with except, yeah, you don't really need to count walks of any kind as long as you've got WHIP for pitchers and OBP for hitters. Either way, though.

And as long as nobody has any objections, would it be possible to move the draft to the 21st? I'm going to a show in Boston on the 14th and fantasy sports are kind of lame if you don't get to draft your own team. Go Mongooses!
Boston? So...what time are we grabbing a beer?

You're a Genius all the time
Hey, if you wanna wait outside the Orpheum theater for a little while and then show us where we can get the nearest, cheapest, strongest microbrew possible... well then I am down like a circus clown, sir

Hey sweet! I am glad a few more folks have taken an interest. I know very little about how all this works so whatever you ultimately decide Chris is cool with me or the group conscience or whatever.

I can't wait. So overall do I get to make moves and such like I did during the Football league? Is the layout similar? I'll have to do a little research.