Who are Actors you wished had more work, and why?

Tools    

There have been some impressionable performances in a movie or tv, and then the person all but disappeared from both. I remember John Amos from Good Times. He played the Dad, and his exchanges with Jimmy Walker were priceless. I actually thought he died until I saw him in Coming To America. I always thought John Ritter should have had more work, especially more challenging roles, but he did die. There have been too many to list.

Two off the top of my head...

Eric Roberts, Julias older brother, was on the fast track to stardom in the late 70's early 80's, and then got a cocaine addiction that was so bad he burned all bridges to where hes rarely seen in a mainstream movie today. Heck, I dont even think Julia even talks to him. Great actor though, and a shame he doesnt get more work.

Ian McShane performance on Deadwood was so impactful it all but erased his work for years on Lovejoy. Not only do I wish he had more work, Im pissed he doesnt have more work. Too damn good to be forgotten.

Could Eric Roberts work more?!?!?! He's the poster boy for low budget/quality films. Not unenjoyable, necessarily, but usually bad.

I wish Drew would/had done some more serious roles.

Edward James Olmos

The lieutenant on Miami Vice who stole every scene he was in, siddown Don Johnson! Here is proof...

He's a strong voice for the latino community, not unlike Spike Lee is to the black community. Probably why his career wasnt allowed to maintain. He was nominated for Best Actor in Stand And Deliver, a role which was a complete shift from the Lieutenant Castillo character, showing his chops.

After Vice ended he followed that up with a straight-to-video career. Then Battlestar Galactica got a lead actor on the cheap, and he did wonders for that series.

Nonetheless, he should have been bigger in the business.

John Amos was the best thing about Good Times. I also agree with you regarding Eric Roberts...he should have received an Oscar nomination for Star 80 and did receive one for Runaway Train. He also gives a great performance in a movie called It's My Party. Roberts is a very talented actor and I never understood why he never became the superstar that he should have become. I don't know if it had anything to do with his little sister's shadow, but he definitely deserved more work.

John Amos was the best thing about Good Times. I also agree with you regarding Eric Roberts...he should have received an Oscar nomination for Star 80 and did receive one for Runaway Train. He also gives a great performance in a movie called It's My Party. Roberts is a very talented actor and I never understood why he never became the superstar that he should have become. I don't know if it had anything to do with his little sister's shadow, but he definitely deserved more work.
When Eric Roberts first hit the mainstream scene everyone felt he was gonna be the next big thing. Then he got addicted to cocaine. He was so bad back then that Julia still wont talk to him today even. Hes been clean and sober for more than 20 years now, at least thats what they say.

Not that it relates to the topic, but nobody ever destroyed their career as thoroughly as Tom Sizemore.

Another actor who I think deserves mention here is Michael Keaton...I'm still scratching my head over the way his career just faded into oblivion. He was extremely likable onscreen and was surprisingly versatile...comedy, drama, the guy could do anything. He should have gotten an Oscar nomination for Clean and Sober and was one of the best things about Jackie Brown. I would love to see him pull a Matthew McConaughey with the comeback of the century.

Joaquin Phoenix - Yes he has been getting more roles lately, but since Gladiator he has really been on/off and that's a shame because he's one of the greatest actors working today.

Jeff Goldblum - I just think he's a great unique actor and it's a shame he doesn't get more roles.

Make a better place

Luke wilson, for some reason I just love to watch him on the screen

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I wish Tom Cruise had more non-action oriented work. He still has what it takes to deliver another Magnolia-level performance. Other than Cruise, I'd usually say Michael Keaton, but it seems that Birdman might be the answer to my prayers.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I loved Cruise in Collateral, an action role yes but a very menacing Villain. Wish he would do the bad guy more often.

Nicolas Cage, because eighteen movies a year just isn't enough for me.

Master of My Domain
Joe Pesci... sure his golden age in the 90's is over and he's a bit too old but I would love to see him on screen again.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I know he's all over the place these days, but Gary Busey once did THIS..... I would like to see him work it again for real.