Some Novels Shouldn't Be Made as a Movie

Tools    

hrm... one movie that would be a great movie, but would be almost impossible, would be Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palanhiuk.

"There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence." Alex (A Clockwork Orange)

Originally Posted by got2envy
My biggest Dissapointment was Battlefield Earth... IMO worst movie ever.
IMO worst book ever

Originally Posted by nebbit
IMO worst book ever
Never read the book, but the trailer seem so incredibly stupid. Plus, I never was a Scientology follower either.

IMO worst book ever
Oh my goodness!

It's only my favorite sci-fi book ever! How could you break my heart like this, Nibbles?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

history *is* moralizing
i repeat myself, i repeat myself, i repeat myself (now do i??)... i can't wait... Motherless Brooklyn, ooooh that Jonathan Lethem's novel, ooooh awwwwwe (in advance) that movie by and with Ed Norton... i can't wait, i repeat myself, repeat myself,...

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by got2envy
My biggest Dissapointment was Battlefield Earth... IMO worst movie ever.
To John Travolta's credit, though, he was extremely commited to adapting that book to film, and he went through hell and back to do it. The fact that he actually got it made and released through pretty much his own persistence alone is, you have to agree, quite respectable.

I don't think so. If he knew the only way, or even learned of it late, to get it on screen was to butcher his (and mine...and millions of other's) beloved scource material...L. Ron Hubbards friggin' swan song for Frank's sake...he shouldn't be respected; he should be beat the frag up.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I don't think so. If he knew the only way, or even learned of it late, to get it on screen was to butcher his (and mine...and millions of other's) beloved scource material...L. Ron Hubbards friggin' swan song for Frank's sake...he shouldn't be respected; he should be beat the frag up.
Though I've never read the book, I'll agree that it's a horrible film. It had quite a small budget to begin with, which may account for several of the film's problems (namely the director and screenwriter choices). It may have faired better if Travolta had waited instead of pushing it through, but kudos to him for driving a square peg into a round hole with his own hands.

Now, it seems he's learned that it's not a good idea to even try driving a square peg into a round hole in the first place, especially when you're talking about making a film.

Originally Posted by Sleezy
Though I've never read the book...
There are around 600 more pages of story that the film left out. It was dispicable what they did to it...so go ahead and give him kudo's for not accomplishing anything worthwhile...I'll still hope he lands on his ass on one of those pegs you keep mentioning.

I never read the book, nor saw the movie. Was it as bad as Dune? I mean discrepancy between the book and the movie.

There are around 600 more pages of story that the film left out.
Why don't you take a wild guess, cutter.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by cutter
I thought Contact was a little weak too. I like plot in the book where it was this big race with the Chinese, but it was completely left out of the film.

I also wish that in "The Shining", the bushes would move. That would have made things really interesting.
The Shining is flawless. FOr moving bushes, see the vastly inferior TV mini. Actually, don't.

In the Beginning...
There are around 600 more pages of story that the film left out. It was dispicable what they did to it...so go ahead and give him kudo's for not accomplishing anything worthwhile...I'll still hope he lands on his ass on one of those pegs you keep mentioning.
Ouch, sorry. Forget I ever said anything.

Originally Posted by Sedai
The Shining is flawless.
Dude…flawless?! Love the damn thing, but don’t spread lies about it!

American Psycho written by Bret Easton Ellis....awesome book (my favorite) but the movie did not do the book justice at all.

Sorry hated it
Will you at least tell me why? My lip is quivering here...and my eyes are all teary...I look like a freakin labrador here!

I'm fairly sure The Catcher in the Rye will be added to this list once J.D. Salinger dies and it is made into a movie.

I hope I don't have to return to this thread later in the year to add C.S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.