Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sing Street -

A friend of mine said he really liked this so i thought i should check it out in my quest to actually watch a few films from this year. This was very good i thought. Kind of a cliche term but i did feel like this was a nice feelgood film, pretty funny too. The humour felt very familiar but it worked anyway. What felt weird was that the first half; the forming the band up to when they make their first video was were most of the comedy happened, the second half strayed into drama and romance more but again i felt it worked. Mostly because of the solid performances by both of the leads, i bought into their relationship and found myself rooting for them which is extremely rare for a teen romance film for me, even in a film i think this film was very similar to that i'll mention later i wouldn't say i was necessarily rooting for the relationship to work.

I really liked the music. Not because i thought the songs were great but because they were so generic; the brothers hatred of the idea of a cover band partially because it wasn't original was funny because they weren't original at any time, they were playing in the same style as the musicians of the time just with their own generic songs. I think this was underscored with one of the best jokes in the film; the different looks and attitudes they had every new school week because they were being fas-tracked through an education on current music. It was great how these attitudes melded with Conors emotions and that this all culminated in the concert at the end with three very different songs about three very different things. Speaking of the brother i think he may have been my favourite character; the actor was fine but he had a few hokey moments, i think that character was written extremely well though and he was the most important in the film, by that i mean Conor and Raphina could've been re-written with completely different personalities and it still would've worked, but he was vital to the film. That 50s prom scene was amazing. It was so upbeat and yet it was so devestating since from the moment it started it was clear that he was imagining this; it was his perfect ending which he wasn't going to get. As far as he was aware at least since if she wasn't there then she must have went to London.

It is really remarkable how similar to Submarine this is. Young love between a mysterious female and a slightly dorky male, the male tries to change himself to get the females attention, set in a part of the British Isles that isn't Scotland or England; Submarine - Wales, Sing Street - Ireland (this may be stretching it a bit but i think this would be relevant to anyone from here, you could probably make it anywhere except England tbh being from Scotland though i feel differently of course) the mother of the males in both is having an affair and the mother of the female in both have a serious problem; in Submarine it's a brain tumour and in this it is bi-polar disorder, Submarine definitely explores the parents part alot more though. The male and females "place" in both is even the beach/pier. I do think Submarine is quite a bit better but i found this interesting, i certainly don't think this was trying to emulate Submarine in anyway, other than the fact that it is a quirky BritIrish romantic comedy there's not many similarities in tone.

Very good film.

2016 so far:

01.Everybody Wants Some
02.The Witch
03.Sing Street (i'm not actually sure if i like this less than The Witch)
04.The Nice Guys
05.Zootopia
06.Midnight Special (i felt similar about this and Green Room so they could switch)
07.Green Room
08.Finding Dory

Things to Come (1936)

I found this off the current Sci-Fi list and watched it for the upcoming Sci-Fi list. It's Christmas and the world is on the verge of a global war. War comes, brings disease, and lasts for decades. Earth is now in ruins, but then a visitor arrives from a rebuilt civilization. I liked this one, especially the beginning. While the rest didn't exactly excite me, the story stayed strong and the visuals were nice for it's time. I found it interesting that a movie from our past would be set in a future time we already passed.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
London Has Fallen (2016)
+

I got exactly what I was expecting, bad CGI, cheesy one-liners and Butler's macho acting. Who says, "I was wondering when you were gonna come out of the closet." to the president?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Effie Gray
+++ Rather endearing and quite exquisite visually. So many scenes I paused and stated: "That'd make a beautiful painting."

Insomnia (Norway 1997)
FINALLY got to watch this. The tension was at a low simmer throughout but still a great movie.

Welcome to the human race...
Hell or High Water -

I already miss that innocent time when I thought that the worst thing to happen today was that this movie didn't quite live up to the hype.

Unregistered User

I, Daniel Blake (2016)

The social message can feel quite overbearing and some of the acting scenes aren't quite up to scratch but its still a very emotional and raw film showing the injustice of Britain's benefit system.

+

Dancer in the Dark (2000) -

Non-Stop (2014)

Hell or High Water -

I already miss that innocent time when I thought that the worst thing to happen today was that this movie didn't quite live up to the hype.
I thought this too. It was a solid movie, shot well and acted well. But at the end of the day I didn't feel I was rooting for the brothers who had murdered 4 innocent people. Which I thought was the point of the film. They were greedy evil murderers who didn't want to work for a living. Am I supposed to get behind them? Didn't work for me.

That said there were some very good scenes, Bridges was excellent and the script was extremely good. But once your anti heroes are more anti than hero, it begins to feel a bit laboured.

7 or 7.5 out of 10.

I thought this too. It was a solid movie, shot well and acted well. But at the end of the day I didn't feel I was rooting for the brothers who had murdered 4 innocent people. Which I thought was the point of the film. They were greedy evil murderers who didn't want to work for a living. Am I supposed to get behind them? Didn't work for me.

That said there were some very good scenes, Bridges was excellent and the script was extremely good. But once your anti heroes are more anti than hero, it begins to feel a bit laboured.

7 or 7.5 out of 10.
WARNING: "Hell or High Water" spoilers below
It's not like this is just something they just decided to do because they're lazy or greedy. As I understand it, the reason why they start carrying out bank robberies in the first place is because they have to meet an immediate deadline (as in a few days away) before the bank forecloses on the family ranch (which Pine's character wants to leave to his kids because it's got loads of oil under it and will provide for them regardless of whether or not he gets caught - besides which, Foster's character is effectively volunteering to be the fall-guy since he's an ex-con bank robber and Pine's got no criminal record whatsoever). It's pretty much like Breaking Bad - we start out on their side because they've got a sympathetic and seemingly selfless motivation (and even try to keep it clean by only holding up banks at the start of the day so there are as few bystanders to worry about as possible), but once they start getting really desperate, the collateral damage and body count starts to rise. As a result, our sympathies shift completely to Bridges (especially once his partner dies). Towards the end, the bank they originally wanted to hit had closed down so they went for a larger bank with more customers and that was the mistake that led to deaths in the first place. That's not an excuse, just an explanation.

I'm not a big Lost Weekend fan either. Wilder definitely has a couple just okay movies for me and a couple comedies I really don't like at all.

Apartment, Indemnity, Sunset, and Witness are a few rungs above everything else for me. Outstanding films.

WARNING: "Hell or High Water" spoilers below
It's not like this is just something they just decided to do because they're lazy or greedy. As I understand it, the reason why they start carrying out bank robberies in the first place is because they have to meet an immediate deadline (as in a few days away) before the bank forecloses on the family ranch (which Pine's character wants to leave to his kids because it's got loads of oil under it and will provide for them regardless of whether or not he gets caught - besides which, Foster's character is effectively volunteering to be the fall-guy since he's an ex-con bank robber and Pine's got no criminal record whatsoever). It's pretty much like Breaking Bad - we start out on their side because they've got a sympathetic and seemingly selfless motivation (and even try to keep it clean by only holding up banks at the start of the day so there are as few bystanders to worry about as possible), but once they start getting really desperate, the collateral damage and body count starts to rise. As a result, our sympathies shift completely to Bridges (especially once his partner dies). Towards the end, the bank they originally wanted to hit had closed down so they went for a larger bank with more customers and that was the mistake that led to deaths in the first place. That's not an excuse, just an explanation.
I totally agree with your explanation. I guess I just wanted to have a bit more of the movie punch me in the face in the third act. But it didn't. It just petered out.

Yeah, I wouldn't contest that too strongly. A bit strange to think that this was from the same screenwriter who did Sicario, which definitely stayed tense up until its final scene.

Yeah, I wouldn't contest that too strongly. A bit strange to think that this was from the same screenwriter who did Sicario, which definitely stayed tense up until its final scene.
Yeah but the god that is Denis Villeneuve directed that. He does tense like nobody else.