Films where couples were separated and then reunited

Tools    

Hi, does andbody know of a list of films where the characters in the story (men and women) were a couple (like husband/wife, or boyfriend/girlfriend), then, for some reason, were separated and later on (maybe after a few years) were reunited again?? Thank you...

Minus the "maybe after a couple of years" stipulation, isn't that pretty much every romance movie ever made? X and Y fall in love, X and/or Y does/says something stupid leading to hurt feelings/misunderstanding (or some malicious outside person/force plots to break them apart), X gives a big speach to Y (and an audience of bystanders), they kiss and everyone cheers.

BANNED (PLANT)
The best example of this is Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind - the characters are never separated physically but it's a twist on the above cliched storyline.

I'd say Serendipity is a pretty good example, though I don't know that they're a genuine couple until the end.

linepalsy is right, though: take away the "for a few years" stipulation, and pretty much every romantic comedy qualifies in some form.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Are you looking for a specific movie where this happens or just anything that fits that bill?

The first film that I thought of was An Affair To Remember.

It depends whether you mean separated as in split up/ fell out etc. or separated by forces beyond their control e.g. war, moved away by families etc.

Bergman's Scenes From a Marriage and it's follow-up Saraband are good examples of this but it depends what you are looking for....they don't really reunite in the sense of getting back together.

Put me in your pocket...
The movies that first popped into my head were...

My Favorite Wife (1940) ~ It's already established from the beginning that a married couple have been separated for 7 years. The wife returns (she was presumed dead) the day her husband re-marries. Complications ensue.

The Awful Truth (1937) ~ Husband and wife fight then divorce at the beginning. the rest of th movie is their journey back to each other as they can't stand the new partners the other has chosen. Lots of fun sticky situations.

Both are with Cary Grant and Irene Dunn and they make a great match. Of course, Cary Grant always meshes well with his leading ladies. Which brings me to...

The Philadelphia Story (1940) ~ Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Cary and Kate are wonderful as the divorced couple who still spark during her wedding weekend.

I have to return some videotapes.
I'm thinking Cocktail (1988)

Thanks all for you replies,

And to answer Thursday_Next, It doesn't matter how were they separated... They could have split or they could have been separated by something beyond their control...

Based on movies you are all recommending, Last night I have watched "The Notebook" and that one is a good example of a story I am looking for. Also The Awful Truth (1937) recommended by Aniko seems to be a similar story...