The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Critics

Critics info about #82, Waking Life...

It currently has a 81% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 7.8/10 score on IMDb (with 63,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★★ and said:
"It was a soothing flow of intelligence, of questioning, of curiosity and imagination. There was a paralysis and hopelessness that seemed to descend upon us. The images of the towers collapsing belonged in a nightmare, but no, they were real. Waking Life was a jolt, or nudge, a reminder that we could usefully ask big questions and propose possible answers. It affirmed our need to think for ourselves and not give in to dead-end despair."
Meanwhile Scott Weinberg said:
"The overall effect of Waking Life is that of finally escaping a cocktail party full of ecstasy-laden philosophy students."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @Daniel M said:
"An incredibly inspiring film that makes me want to go out and do something great with my life, it might sound silly, but it is one hundred percent true. Needless to say this will be at the top end of my animation list, and I really hope that some other people like me watch it and love it."
And @gohansrage said:
"The pace was terrible. The voices were ho hum. The animation took away from the information, which itself was boring and dated. A note to Linklater, you are very good at toying with human itneraction and delivering fresh perspectives on alienated members of society. Do that, and leave the philosophy to DeCartes."

Critics

Critics info about #81, Amores Perros...

It currently has a 93% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 8.1/10 score on IMDb (with 234,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★½ and said:
"It is the work of a born filmmaker, and you can sense Gonzalez Inarritu's passion as he plunges into melodrama, coincidence, sensation and violence. His characters are not the bland, amoral totems of so much modern Hollywood violence, but people with feelings and motives."
Meanwhile Jason Korsner, of BBC.com, said:
"The structure lacks purpose, the film struggles to justify its two-and-a-half-hour running time and the faint-hearted might find it a little gory."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @Iroquois said:
"Stylistically, the film tends towards gritty camerawork that alternates between frantic edits and smooth movements. The music covers a variety of genres appropriate to the story - there's a lot of hip-hop beats at work here, especially in the dogfight story, but also there's some nice atmospheric work (especially the last song in the film - I mean, damn). The acting is great and every story's lead gets at least one scene that's simply amazing to witness. As far as imitators of the violent multi-narrative formula laid down by Pulp Fiction go, it's definitely one of the best."

Have seen neither Waking Life or Amores Perros. I'm a fan of Linklater but I really have no inclination to see either of his animated/rotoscoped films. I've seen only two of Iñárritu's films and after watching that clip of Amores Perros, I don't think I want to see it. May sound silly but I hate movies where dogs are put in jeopardy, Old Yeller being the exception to my rule.

Awards

Now to the awards received by Waking Life...

• National Society of Film Critics Experimental Film Award
  • New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Animated Film
  • Venice Film Festival Award for Best Film

As for Amores Perros, it won...

• BAFTA Award for Best Film not in the English Language
  • AFI Fest for Best Feature Film
  • ALMA Award for Outstanding Foreign Film
  • and a TON of Ariel Awards

Trivia

Waking Life

Did you know that...
  • the movie took 3 weeks to shoot, another 3 weeks to edit using Final Cut Pro, and 15 months to animate?
  • the film was based on real reports of LSD trips?
  • this was the first digitally rotoscoped animated feature film?
  • the basic plot of the film is based on a physiological phenomenon known as "lucid dreaming" which means you dream while knowing that you are dreaming?

Trivia

Amores Perros

Did you know that...
  • during the dogfights scenes, dogs are actually playing? Careful editing makes it look a lot more vicious.
  • the film was shot in some of the more dangerous parts of Mexico City? It was not uncommon for the production crew to be robbed by street gangs.
  • the man who plays the bus driver in the scene where Gael García Bernal's character decides not to get on the bus is Bernal's father, José Ángel García?

I forgot the opening line.
After a good run of having seen the films appearing here I get two I haven't seen. Waking Life was ringing bells that made me think I'd recently had some kind of tangle with it, but that must have been because I watched A Scanner Darkly just a couple of months ago - which was just okay. Nothing special. Amores perros is just about the only Inarritu film I haven't seen, and sheez, that looks like a mistake. It's going straight to the top of my watchlist.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Been busy and trying to catch up. It's true what they say, you never know how much crap you have until you move. Exhausting...

"Three Buriels... was last seen at the theater and needs to be re-seen. Remember enjoying it.

" Waking Life" seen bits of it and truly deserves a full viewing.

"The Man Who..." is quite an embarrassment because of the love for the Coens, I have not seen this. ..

The rest, okay but seems to be on me. All that's mentioned is my one pointer, my list is looking like poo...

My Ballot:  

Have seen so far: 8
Put on list for future viewing: 6
My list that ended up on the cutting room floor (dammit!): 2
Put on "meh" list : 5
1 Ptrs: seen 8

Iron Man is fine, I suppose. I really like the opening act where Stark is trapped in he cave, but after that sequence, I wasn't able to get back into the film. Tony Stark's character didn't interest me much in the early films due to his narcissism (I enjoyed his development later in the MCU though) and Pepper Potts was also fairly unmemorable. Also, the main villain, though anchored by some strong acting, was unmemorable (as are most of the MCU villains, in my opinion). I know it isn't from the 2000's, but my favorite MCU film is The Winter Soldier. It's the only Marvel film I've seen that's able to provide a compelling character dynamic that isn't lost in all the big action sequences.
Well, Winter Soldier certainly had the best action scenes of any MCU movie I've seen, but outside of that, I wasn't as engaged by it as I had hoped to be, either by the plot or the character-centric material; I think Iron Man, Civil War and a number of other Marvel movies did noticably better in those departments, to be honest with you.

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Feel like I'm trapped
Down in a hole
Drowned by work
Feeling so cold

I can't breathe
Drowned by grief
Blood to the teeth
Trying to live

My weapon is ego
Drown you with blabber
Never let ye go
Down stairs and ladder

This is the end
You are all blind
Cakes and cards
Is it all in my mind?

Well, Winter Soldier certainly had the best action scenes of any MCU movie I've seen, but outside of that, I wasn't as engaged by it as I had hoped to be, either by the plot or the character-centric material; I think Iron Man, Civil War and a number of other Marvel movies did noticably better in those departments, to be honest with you.
Granted, I don't remember Civil War that well, but The Winter Soldier definitely left a bigger emotional impact on me than the other MCU films I've seen. To each their own though.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Ima guess Moon and Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? Or Pootie Tang. Tippy tie, tippy tay, cuz it kinda fits.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Waking Life is another movie that I watched because it was mentioned in the recommendation thread, and I found the DVD at a garage sale recently. It was an interesting watch, but it felt more like a continuing series of drug trips than dreams. Also, I found the rotoscoping dizzying at times.

I haven't seen Amores Perros.

Granted, I don't remember Civil War that well, but The Winter Soldier definitely left a bigger emotional impact on me than the other MCU films I've seen. To each their own though.
It just felt to me like the Russos cared a lot more about the action scenes than anything else in that film, whether it was the story, the 70's conspiracy thriller trappings, or the character-centric material, which felt like it was given the bare minimum of effort. Like, a scene like this should've felt much more emotional...

...but it didn't, and it feels like the Russos were mostly just waiting through scenes like that so they could get back to the fighting, which is where their heart really was (no offense to their work as a whole, since I do think they made the best MCU movie to date later on).

It just felt to me like the Russos cared a lot more about the action scenes than anything else in that film, whether it was the story, the 70's conspiracy thriller trappings, or the character-centric material, which felt like it was given the bare minimum of effort. Like, a scene like this should've felt much more emotional...

...but it didn't, and it feels like the Russos were mostly just waiting through scenes like that so they could get back to the fighting, which is where their heart really was (no offense to their work as a whole, since I do think they made the best MCU movie to date later on).
In my opinion, the conflict between Rogers and Bucky was the emotional core to the film and was what I was referring to up above when I mentioned that this character dynamic wasn't lost in the action. The final fight acted as a great payoff for this as it combined that dynamic with the action, making for an effective sequence, in my opinion.

Hint, hint...

Feel like I'm trapped
Down in a hole
Drowned by work
Feeling so cold

I can't breathe
Drowned by grief
Blood to the teeth
Trying to live

My weapon is ego
Drown you with blabber
Never let ye go
Down stairs and ladder

This is the end
You are all blind
Cakes and cards
Is it all in my mind?
Sounds a lot like The Descent to me.

Been gone a bit. Let's see what got revealed:

Seen and liked: Juno, Iron Man and Almost Famous
Seen and didn't care for: Watchmen
Haven't seen: Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Sunshine, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Cache, The Three Burials, Man Who Wasn't There, Waking Life, Amores Perros

On My List: None

I'm sure some of them will show up soon enough. Can't help but to think they will.

A system of cells interlinked
Pretty much 100% on The Descent being one of the next films, which I just watched again recently, and it keeps getting better every time I see it!

Drowned by work is a key statement for the other film, which I just can't quite figure out...

I will take a shot in the dark with Batman Begins for the other film.

Pretty much 100% on The Descent being one of the next films, which I just watched again recently, and it keeps getting better every time I see it!

Drowned by work is a key statement for the other film, which I just can't quite figure out...

I will take a shot in the dark with Batman Begins for the other film.
I'm not saying that your guess is right... but some of the lines from the hint might work for both films. So it's not necessarily "this line for this film, that line for that film"