Oscar's Best Supporting Actor (2009)

Tools    

Who will be named Best Supporting Actor?
0%
0 votes
Josh Brolin, MILK
0%
0 votes
Robert Downey Jr., TROPIC THUNDER
6.25%
2 votes
Philip Seymour Hoffman, DOUBT
90.63%
29 votes
Heath Ledger, THE DARK KNIGHT
3.13%
1 votes
Michael Shannon, REVOLUTIONARY ROAD
32 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Here are the Academy Award nominees for Best Supporting Actor: Josh Brolin (MILK), Robert Downey Jr. (Tropic Thunder), Philip Seymour Hoffman (Doubt), Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight) and Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road). Who will win? Who should win? Who is missing from the final five? Vote and discuss.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Heath Ledger will win and in the minds of some, this will somehow make up for the ridiculous 'snub' to TDK in the Best Picture category.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Heath Ledger. The moment the Chris Nolan said "It's a wrap." Heath had this award in the bag.

I'm not so sure about that. I might sound obtuse, but I would also say that anyone who doesn't believe Ledger's death greatly improves his chances, is also being obtuse.

Of the big eight awards (Picture, Director, Actor and Actress, the two Supporting and the two Screenplays) this is the only absolute, no doubt about it lock of the year. I don't see any way that Ledger doesn't win this. He will be the first posthumous winner in the acting categories since Peter Finch won Best Actor for Network at the 1977 ceremony.

It's great that Josh Brolin got his nomination. He was quite good as Dan White in MILK and it makes up at least a little bit for his being left out of so much of the celebration of the awards season last year even though he had the starring role in No Country for Old Men (not to mention he was also in American Gangster, In the Valley of Elah and Planet Terror last year too!). It also is an unofficial acknowledgment of his work as Bush in Oliver Stone's W. Brolin's star is definitely rising in a hurry, one of those fifteen-year overnight success stories in Hollywood.

Robert Downey Jr. also had a whale of a year, starring in one of the biggest and best-reviewed box office smashes of the year in Iron Man that started the summer movie season and then capping it off with his hilariously contrived portrayal of a method actor gone a few steps too far in Tropic Thunder. Downey has been on a roll that has finally translated into butts in seats and now a return to the Oscars. His previous and only other nomination came as Best Actor in 1993 for Chaplin. We all know the mostly self-induced rocky road he's traveled from there to here, so it'll be nice to see him smiling when Heath's name is called.

Philip Seymour Hoffman may well become a fixture at these ceremonies. He seems to be in serious contention every single year now, since he won Best Actor just four years ago for Capote after a decade's worth of great performances leading up to it. Charlie Wilson's War last year is the only other nomination he managed, but his work in The Savages and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead was Oscar-caliber and had the movie done better he might have even been double-nominated this year with Synecdoche, New York. He was perfectly cast in Doubt. But he must know he is only there to applaud Michelle Williams or Christopher Nolan or whoever it is that walks up to accept Heath's statue.

Other than the big awards The Reader managed, the only real out-and-out surprise in the nominees was Michael Shannon. Stars Leonardo DioCaprio and Kate Winslet were both expected to be among the Oscar nominees for their work here, but it wasn't to be. Michael Shannon really came out of nowhere. He's been cropping up in smaller roles for a while now, and he was amazing in the lead of the small indie pic Shotgun Stories, which played the festival circuit in late 2007 and had a small release in the first part of 2008. Even if Heath weren't going to win this in a landslide Shannon would have zero chance of winning, but perhaps this coupled with Shotgun Stories will raise his profile a bit and get him bigger roles in bigger movies. At least I hope people seek out and rent Shotgun Stories.

As for some of my favorite supporting performances of the year that I would have liked to see make the cut and be sacrificed to The Joker, Micheal J. Smith Sr. was amazing in the little-seen Ballast, Eddie Marsan was genius playing hilarious, pathetic and frightening in Happy-Go-Lucky, I think both Irrfan Khan and Anil Kapoor are two of the key ingredients to Slumdog Millionaire's success, Tom Noonan was wonderful in Synecdoche, New York, Tunde Adebimpe added such a great if quiet presence to Rachel Getting Married, Malkovich was very good both subtle in Changeling and deliciously over-the-top in Burn After Reading, can't forget Mathieu Amalric in A Christmas Tale, Ralph Fiennes was clearing having a blast In Bruges and Haaz Sleiman was strong as the unlucky Tarek in The Visitor.

But none of them had any real shot at a nomination, and nobody was going to pass Heath anyway.

I think Holden said it awfully well. I just don't see them denying Heath. This is his last and only chance, they shut The Dark Knight out of every other major category (and the backlash seems pretty fierce already), and a lot of people are going to tune in solely to see if Heath wins. I'd take a loan to put money on this.

You want to post like me?
I'm not so sure about that. I might sound obtuse, but I would also say that anyone who doesn't believe Ledger's death greatly improves his chances, is also being obtuse.
I agree with iluv2viddyfilms. Though Heath Ledger was great in The Dark Night, he should only be judged on his performance. Don't get me wrong, I think it was deeply tragical that he died.
I understand Yoda's point that this is Heath's "last and only chance" but if there was an actor on the list who did a better job (though there isn't), I think that actor should win.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I absloutly, 100% believe that Heath will win this. But as for my favorite, definatly Michael Shannon in Revoloutionary Road. To quote my review HERE "he was just as, or even better than Heath Ledger's Joker." Just look at some of his final scenes where he gets into his anger rampage on Leo, That was some great acting.

"You figure it's more comfy in here in old hopeless, emptiness after all? Huh?"

I absloutly, 100% believe that Heath will win this. But as for my favorite, definatly Michael Shannon in Revoloutionary Road. To quote my review HERE "he was just as, or even better than Heath Ledger's Joker." Just look at some of his final scenes where he gets into his anger rampage on Leo, That was some great acting.

"You figure it's more comfy in here in old hopeless, emptiness after all? Huh?"
Michael Shannon would be my second pick after Ledger.

You're a Genius all the time
I'll come back to this thread to give some more thoughts on the noms and snubs and whatnot, but I'll just say I didn't think Shannon was really anything special in Rev Road. The guy who played their neighbor or whatever turned in a much more impressive, nuanced performance, I thought.

I'll come back to this thread to give some more thoughts on the noms and snubs and whatnot, but I'll just say I didn't think Shannon was really anything special in Rev Road. The guy who played their neighbor or whatever turned in a much more impressive, nuanced performance, I thought.
You mean the husband of the other couple that DiCaprio and Winslet always hung out with?

I think you are talking about David Harbour. And yes he did good, but he really didn't get much to show it. I mean Shannon just took some of the most memorable scenes and stole them from Leo and Kate. Again, just watch him go on his rant one last time and he reeks of crazy. (which is good.)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
100% of mofo users are picking Heath right now...I didn't see it happening any other way and I don't see the Oscars seeing it any other way either.

Suspect's Reviews

You've gotta love that 14 people have voted for Heath Ledger, then there was 1 for Michael Shannon. I love being alone

I'm pretty happy with Shannon getting a nod. One of the better supporting roles I've seen this year. It was small but it was very poignant. I'm happy for him.

I may be alone, but I am NOT a fan of Heath Ledger's Joker. Sad that he died, but I definitely think the death thing overdramatizes his importance. I found Jack Nicholson to be more compelling, and frankly, Ledger's Joker was average, almost bordering on mediocre.

But no. You're all right - they are going to crawl up there and lay this, too, on his funeral pyre, along with his posthumous Sainthood.....

..next thing you know, death in acting is going to be like death in writing, painting, music or any other kind of art: immediate demigodhood.

You may be alone in thinking his performance was mediocre, but you know, different strokes and all.

His performance was one of the funniest, craziest, and realistic and I believe he will rightly be remembered for it.

I don't really get the 'sainthood' thing either. Of course though I'm an ex drug user and I'm still pretty pissed that he killed himself. Even if it was a complete accident. The guy (or anyone) for that matter shouldn't be on that many drugs.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
100% of mofo users are picking Heath right now...I didn't see it happening any other way and I don't see the Oscars seeing it any other way either.
But we are voting for who we think will win it, not who should win it.