Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Well, at least it's well made. I'm not too big on Anderson myself, although for me slow rarely means boring.
That's why I wrote boring, not slow

Way Out West (1937)

I watched this for the movie tournament and it's also on the top 100 Westerns list. I was very much enjoying it until Laurel and Hardy showed up. Of course it is their movie and I did warm up to them. It's only about an hour long and all I can say is that I found it amusing.

Cameraperson (Kirsten Johnson, 2016)

Can't really argue with the title

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Shock Wave (B+): One of Hong Kong's answers to a big Hollywood action blockbuster film, this one stars Andy Lau as a member of Hong Kong Police's Explosive Ordinance Disposal unit who just two years ago, went undercover and was able to stop a bank robbery from a notorious crime lord skilled in explosives. However, while he successfully arrested the criminal's younger abrasive brother, the crime lord himself escaped with plans to get revenge. The crime lord returns now taking the Cross Harbour Tunnel under siege unless Lau meets his demands.

Herman Yau directed this action thriller that throws some intricate twists in the storyline and where we usually see a love interest more glamorized, Yau took the smart route and have Lau's love interest a simple, normal looking, sans make up, teacher in Song Jia's Carmen. Jiang Wu is menacing as the crime lord set to get his revenge by threatening to blow up the underwater tunnel between Kowloon and Causeway Bay if the demands aren't met. I enjoyed this film as it is always great to see Andy Lau in this type of role, an officer who has his flaws and is not the big time perfect hero.

Lee Marvin: A Personal Portrait by John Boorman (1999), rewatch – 7.5/10

Janis: Little Girl Blue (Amy Berg, 2015)
+
Kozmic

[Loving vincent]
Glad to see your mention of the Van Gogh film. I'd been meaning to see it, but forgot. Will remedy that soon..
Watched it last night, and it was stunning. I was in awe of the production, which apparently took 4 years. 65,000 frames were hand painted by 125 artists! This was the first time that has ever been done.

Van Gogh's life is fascinating enough, a combination of brilliant artistry and tragedy: the epitome of the suffering genius artist. It remains to be seen about the historical accuracy of the period following his death by suicide at age 37. For example he shot himself in the chest, not the stomach, and the conspiracy which was alluded to was never delved into much.

A slightly incredulous detraction was the dialogue. Whoever wrote it made the maddening choice to use 21st Century idioms and phrases (assuming that they were aware of it). The many modern expressions, e.g. "I get that", rather stuck out like rim shots.

But the chief response to this production is marveling at the artistry and technical craftsmanship that it took to produce this memorable film. It's difficult to imagine a more excellent animated feature than this.

~Doc

Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989)

+

If crack is whack then what the hell is this? I watched it for the movie tournament and it's one of the most bizarre movies I've ever seen.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Lord of the Flies - 7.5/10

Thought this might be a 10 within 10 minutes, as it reminded me of "Ana-ta-had" and "Ladybug, Ladybug" .. Perfect story, themes, setting, but too much fat and not enough meat.

Suffragette (Sarah Gavron, 2015)
+
My vote is - it's ok but nothing out of the ordinary

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
If crack is whack then what the hell is this?
The birth of a new genre: industrial cinema. Alternatively, a cyber punk masterpiece. OUR LOVE CAN DESTROY THIS WHOLE F*CKING WORLD!!!!!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Gangs Of New York (2002) - Martin Scorsese

A film I've been wanting to see since I was 8 years old. No joke. Finally watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Great sets & costumes, Daniel Day Lewis in one of his best performances, but quite an anti-climatic finish for my taste.

I, Tonya (2017)

Familiarity with the story and my taste had me hoping this would be my favorite movie of 2017. While I did enjoy it a good amount, I found it to be disappointing. I very much appreciated the dark humor, but I just thought it was a bit cartoonish. Robbie and Janney were good and saved the movie. Janney's Oscar win reminds me of McDormands. I have no beef with their performances, but just because they played the most outlandish and attention getting characters, that doesn't mean they were the best. I don't know, maybe they were; it's just something that came to mind. Pretty good soundtrack here, but a strange use of it I thought. The movie chronicles almost 20 years, and at first the music is era specific and gradually gets newer. Then when we get to the 90's, they go back to 70's music. This would be fine if a character was playing the jukebox or listening to their radio, but they just played the songs randomly over scenes. Hearing the great Fleetwood Mac play during the 90's just seemed uneven to me, as much of the movie did.