Help me with 2010s Movie Recommendations

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@Thursday Next,

I rewatched One Day (2011) because I remembered liking it a lot, but while I still liked it, I didn't like it as much this time as I did the first time I saw it. I liked how Emma and Dexter both lit up when they were together, so I wanted to see what happened every year to see if this would be the year that they finally realized that they belonged together.
WARNING: "SPOILERS about he ENDING of "One Day"!!!" spoilers below
But then when they finally got together, it made it that much worse when they didn't get their happy ending. I liked the final scene at the end of the movie showing their first year together again, and how it could have ended, but I wasn't sure if it was a dream, or a "what might have been" sequence.

This movie probably won't make my list, but I'm glad that I rewatched it. Thank you for the recommendation.

@cricket,

I rewatched The Way Way Back (2013), and I think I liked it more this time than I did the first time I saw it. I liked how Trent became almost like a father-figure to Duncan, and helped him come out of his shell. And I liked how Duncan got along better with the people at the water park than he did with his own family.

On the flip side, I think this is the only movie I've seen with Steve Carell where I've hated his character. It was a very different role from what I've seen from him.

I loved the ending, especially the water slide part. I don't know if this movie will make my list, but I enjoyed watching it.

Thank you for the great recommendation.

@Holden Pike,

I watched Midnight Special (2016), and it's a pretty good sci-fi movie, but it has some flaws. Most of the movie is very good, with enough tension that it kept me interested, but the ending was a bit of a letdown. I think they told us too much about Alton too early, so by the time it got to the ending, it just didn't have the effect that it should have had.

But overall I enjoyed the movie. It reminded me of Starman a bit, and it had a bit of an eeriness to it at times that worked well. The movie won't make my list, but I liked it.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Hey gbg! I just saw a movie that might be right up your alley. It is called Puzzle (2018) and stars Kelly MacDonald. It is about two people who meet and enter jigsaw puzzle contests (I know! who knew there was such a thing.) I don't remember the specifics of it because I saw it in 2018 but it was quite sweet.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I watched Christopher Robin (2018)
I thought it was as silly as Winnie the Pooh but had some charm. Too bad the charm was nothing more than the charm of a mainstream Disney film. A moderately enjoyable watch. That's it.
I saw Margaret (2011)
Did you watch the Theatrical or Director's Cut? I watched the Director's Cut and while very good, I think it's my least favorite Lonergan film. The protagonist is indeed annoying. But disliking the characters shouldn't make us dislike the film, right?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Hey gbg! I just saw a movie that might be right up your alley. It is called Puzzle (2018) and stars Kelly MacDonald. It is about two people who meet and enter jigsaw puzzle contests (I know! who knew there was such a thing.) I don't remember the specifics of it because I saw it in 2018 but it was quite sweet.

I never heard of Puzzle, but I love jigsaw puzzles, so this could be fun. Thanks for the recommendation.

I noticed in Citizen Rules' thread that you mentioned that it's on STARZ. Fortunately that's one of the channels I get, so I just set my DVR to record it this weekend.

I watched Christopher Robin (2018)
I thought it was as silly as Winnie the Pooh but had some charm. Too bad the charm was nothing more than the charm of a mainstream Disney film. A moderately enjoyable watch. That's it.
We'll have to agree to disagree about Christopher Robin (2018) because I loved it. It's probably a lock for my list.

I saw Margaret (2011)
Did you watch the Theatrical or Director's Cut? I watched the Director's Cut and while very good, I think it's my least favorite Lonergan film. The protagonist is indeed annoying. But disliking the characters shouldn't make us dislike the film, right?
I didn't know there were two versions of Margaret (2011), but I watched the version that's 2-1/2 hours. Sometimes disliking the characters can cause me to dislike a movie, but not with this movie. I liked Margaret despite disliking the character.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
We'll have to agree to disagree about Christopher Robin (2018) because I loved it.
Yeah. I remember disagreeing with my mom, but she saw the film as extremely depressive. Because Robin is now an adult and has no time / no interest in Winnie and the rest of the pets.
I didn't know there were two versions of Margaret (2011), but I watched the version that's 2-1/2 hours.
The Extended Edition is 3h 6mn.
Sometimes disliking the characters can cause me to dislike a movie
Examples?

Sometimes disliking the characters can cause me to dislike a movie

The first example that came to mind was The Florida Project. I know that most people love the movie, but with the exception of Willem Dafoe's character, I hated pretty much everyone else in the movie. I hated them so much that I turned the movie off about a half hour into it the first time I watched it, and it was a struggle to get through it the second time I saw it.

The first example that came to mind was The Florida Project. I know that most people love the movie, but with the exception of Willem Dafoe's character, I hated pretty much everyone else in the movie. I hated them so much that I turned the movie off about a half hour into it the first time I watched it, and it was a struggle to get through it the second time I saw it.
I don't think we're meant to like the characters in the film. Halley is clearly an awful mother whose behavior is addressed by various characters in the film. Her flaws are left in plain sight and lead to the proceedings in the final act. I don't think we're ever asked to root for her. Halley's behavior, as well as that from some of the other characters in the film, rubs off on Moonee and her friends and is part of why they act the way they do in the film. While this doesn't make them likable per se, you're still able to understand why they act the way they do. I think this is the point of the characters, not a flaw or something the film messes up on.

I don't think we're meant to like the characters in the film. Halley is clearly an awful mother whose behavior is addressed by various characters in the film. Her flaws are left in plain sight and lead to the proceedings in the final act. I don't think we're ever asked to root for her. Halley's behavior, as well as that from some of the other characters in the film, rubs off on Moonee and her friends and is part of why they act the way they do in the film. While this doesn't make them likable per se, you're still able to understand why they act the way they do. I think this is the point of the characters, not a flaw or something the film messes up on.

I understand that they're not supposed to be likable characters, but it makes it hard for me to like the movie when I hate the characters, especially when nothing changes them in the movie, so they're just as unlikable at the end of the movie as they were at the beginning of it. If they had at least done something to redeem themselves by the end of the movie, my opinion of the movie might have been different.

I understand that they're not supposed to be likable characters, but it makes it hard for me to like the movie when I hate the characters, especially when nothing changes them in the movie, so they're just as unlikable at the end of the movie as they were at the beginning of it. If they had at least done something to redeem themselves by the end of the movie, my opinion of the movie might have been different.
While I loved The Florida Project, I know what you mean. Spending time with unpleasant people, even if the movie knows they are unpleasant, is not always what I want out of a film.

I'm generally fine with unlikable characters, but that's fair.

Midnight Sun (2018) is another movie that nobody recommended to me, but it aired on one of the movie channels, and it sounded like my type of movie, so I decided to watch it.

The first half of the movie was a wonderful romance, and then it took a turn. I think I went through an entire box of tissues during the second half of the movie. It's predictable, and sickeningly sweet, but I loved every minute of it. This movie has a lot of similarities with the 2002 movie A Walk to Remember, so anyone who liked that movie, might want to give this movie a try.

@Holden Pike and @MovieBuffering,

I watched Wind River (2017), and I liked it. This is a great movie set in some beautiful scenery. It's a little bit slow paced, but it works well for this movie. I loved Jeremy Renner as the tracker, and Elizabeth Olsen was terrific in this too.
WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "Wind River"!!!" spoilers below
I like that they stayed with the murder mystery, and didn't try to force a romance between the two main characters. The only thing I would have liked is to see Cory get closure for his daughter's murder at the end.

@Thief,

I watched Coherence (2013), and I liked it.

I didn't read much about it before watching it, so I didn't know what to expect, but it felt like a long episode of "The Twilight Zone", maybe an updated, and twisted, version of "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street". It has a very low budget feel to it, which was a bit distracting at first, but after a while I got used to it, and I stopped noticing it at all.

WARNING: "SPOILERS about "Coherence"!!!" spoilers below
At first, I thought it was some weird time travel thing that they were going through, but then it took a turn and seemed to be more of a space anomaly instead. The only thing that bothered me a little bit about it was the ending because it felt like it wasn't over yet.
But it held my interest from start to finish, and I would recommend this movie to any sci-fi movie fan.

@Thief,

I watched Coherence (2013), and I liked it.

I didn't read much about it before watching it, so I didn't know what to expect, but it felt like a long episode of "The Twilight Zone", maybe an updated, and twisted, version of "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street". It has a very low budget feel to it, which was a bit distracting at first, but after a while I got used to it, and I stopped noticing it at all.

WARNING: "SPOILERS about "Coherence"!!!" spoilers below
At first, I thought it was some weird time travel thing that they were going through, but then it took a turn and seemed to be more of a space anomaly instead. The only thing that bothered me a little bit about it was the ending because it felt like it wasn't over yet.
But it held my interest from start to finish, and I would recommend this movie to any sci-fi movie fan.

Glad you enjoyed it. I liked the open-ended ending; to me, it's more interesting to wonder what's really happening than to have it spelled it out.

@beelzebubble,

I watched Puzzle (2018), and I liked it. It's a very slow, sometimes sad, but interesting, movie.

It's not really about the puzzles. They're just a means to an end. It's about her relationships, with her husband and her puzzle partner. I liked the movie, but I had mixed feelings about the ending.

WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "Puzzle"!!!" spoilers below
Instead of fixing things with her husband, who didn't leave her even after she admitted to having an affair, or going to Brussels to be with Robert and the next puzzle competition, she chose to leave both of them to go to Montreal by herself. It just felt like that decision just came out of nowhere and didn't make much sense. I understand why she didn't want to stay with her husband because their marriage wasn't good from the beginning of the movie, but it seemed like she was building a great relationship with Robert, so I didn't understand why she didn't go with him. I guess she just wanted to be by herself, but I thought she would have been happier with Robert.

Glad you enjoyed it. I liked the open-ended ending; to me, it's more interesting to wonder what's really happening than to have it spelled it out.
It's not just about what happens to Emily and Kevin at the end, but it would have been nice to go back to the original house and see who ended up where, and how their lives could have been changed by what happened that night.

@Thief and @Citizen Rules,

I watched The Two Faces of January (2014) because it was recommended here, and because I saw it mentioned in a couple of other threads. This was a good thriller, but it just felt like it was lacking something. I think part of the problem is that Chester and Colette didn't feel like a real couple. They felt like one of those couples in a spy movie who were pretending to be a couple. But I liked Oscar Isaac as Rydal. And while most of the movie was good, the ending felt forced.

Thank you for the recommendation.