Tim Burton and Jonny Depp to make DARK SHADOWS

Tools    

Movie Forums Insomniac
It's all camped up like the Batman TV series except worse. It is nothing like the TV series (either of them) or House of Dark Shadows.
It's Johnny Depp and Tim Burton.. what do you expect.

Semper Fooey
Maybe Sweeney Todd with a little humor. Hell, their Alice in Wonderland wasn't as campy as that.

Movie Forums Insomniac
Well, this is just the first trailer. Maybe once more footage gets released, the film might not be as crappy looking. Who knows. People do sometimes tend to negatively judge a film before it's released, then when they see it their point of view changes dramatically.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I actually had no idea this was a comedy until I saw the trailer.

Suspect's Reviews

Hope the trailer was just edited that way & the film is nothing like that..
I don't know what it is that turned me off about the trailer, but I don't think there was anything I liked about it..

Too similar to the Addams Family adaptation..

Semper Fooey
Nobody knew it was going to be this broad, but there were hints in Burton's comments and some of the actors it wasn't going to be straight. But this is more like a very jokey spoof of Dark Shadows than an adaptation.

I loved the original. I would get home as quickly as I could to watch it in its later years (wasn't around in the beginning when it was done more straight Gothic and when they first introduced Barnabus). Sure it was hokey a lot of the time, had cheap sets and was kind of low-rent even by daytime serial standards, but it was lively, had a few wonderful actors mixed in with the usual mediocre daytime serial types. This is an abomination. The short-lived revived version in the nineties wasn't bad and had one inspired bit of casting, Barbara Steele as Dr. Julia, but lacked the fun of the original and a much duller, less interesting Barnabus. Frid was really perfect in that part even though he often seemed unsure what his next line was. The show was filmed live on the East Coast. This thing is just a jokey goof.

Sure, it isn't perfect. It is a daytime serial done on a low budget, but it is stil more watchable than that Tim Burton trailer. If this was done on a movie budget it could have been fantastic.

&feature=related

An outright comedy from TB - might be funny.

Apparently Tim Burton and Johnny Depp work great together, almost to the point were Depp's work gets stereotyped.
Personaly, I'd love to see Depp move away from the qircky characters he's become and show us the full range of his potential.

I've loved all incarnations of Dark Shadows, yet this campy take on it doesn't bother me at all. Mainly because of the Burton/Depp combo, which I always love, plus the trailer actually made me laugh. And best of all, Eva Green looks smashing!

I don't know why, but this trailer somehow worked for me.
I now wouldn't mind catching the film.
& though not related to the trailer, the chinese voice in the end makes it magical.

Semper Fooey
Well, the reviews are tricling out ahead of its debut.

And they are not good.

I don't believe Alice in Wonderland, and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory got good reviews either and I adored these two films. So still can't wait to see it.

Until I saw the trailer, I had no interest in this at all. After seeing the trailer I thought there might be something there for me, so long as it doesn't play up the comedy too much. Now, if that doesn't tell you this isn't going to be a film that most people want to see, I don't know what does.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
I don't believe Alice in Wonderland, and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory got good reviews either and I adored these two films. So still can't wait to see it.
You enjoyed Charlie & The Chocolate Factory? I didn't even know that was humanly possible.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
It's a lovely film and much closer to the original book. You talk like it's one of the worst things to come out in the film world...
Personally, for me, I hated it. I think it's mostly because of Burton's version of Willy Wonka. I'm a huge fan of the original and of Gene Wilder's Wonka, and Mel Stuart had a really great multidimensional mystique around the character, I felt in Burton's version all of that was stripped away, Depp's Wonka's insanity was more prevalent than his genius, and he was borderline obnoxious.

I also felt the rest of the cast of characters weren't nearly as charming as in the original either.