Good Movies I Don't Want to See Again

Tools    

Schindler's List definitely comes to mind. A great piece of filmmaking, no doubt about it, but for the journey it takes you on, you're better off just being told "The Holocaust was bad".

So many good movies, so little time.
I've got a couple more to add to my others :

The Homecoming
Thirteen
Monster
Kids
Mystic River
American Me
Sleepers
Elephant
Leaving Las Vegas
Requiem for a Dream
Boys Don't Cry
Vera Drake
Breaking the Waves
Amores Perros
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've got a couple more to add to my others :

The Homecoming
Thirteen
Monster
Kids
Mystic River
American Me
Sleepers
Elephant
Leaving Las Vegas
Requiem for a Dream
Boys Don't Cry
Vera Drake
Breaking the Waves
Amores Perros
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
I'm sorry, but there are no "good" movies which I don't want to see again. It was hammered into me by my boss in the mid-1970s that I was supposed to look at each movie and try to separate it from its subject matter, politics, depression factor, hateful attitudes, etc. and somehow judge it "objectively". I'll be the first to admit that it's undoubtedly an impossible task, but I seem to watch lots of other movies repeatedly which others can praise and say "Thank you, but never again." As I said, I don't get that, and based on your list above, even if I believe all film buffs should watch them all once, I don't think any of these following films are "good", so there, that disproves my claims at objectivity, even if I've watched them repeatedly.

Kids
Mystic River
Elephant
Leaving Las Vegas
Requiem For a Dream

I didn't see some posts until after I posted, but I'll go into Mystic River if you want. I watched that at Christmas Break again.

Welcome to the human race...
When it comes to most movies I see, one viewing is usually enough for me anyway. It's not so much about not wanting to see them again as it is about thinking, "Okay, I've got that one out of the road, time to see something different."

So many good movies, so little time.
I'm not big on movies that I consider painful to watch. Some people enjoy that kind of movie, I don't. I can appreciate movies as being good without wanting to see them again. There are so many others I do want to watch many more times.

I get the gist of: a good movie that one does not want to experience twice - and the only emotion that comes to mind is sadness - a sad movie can be great, but that emotion, for some, can be thought provoking or hurtful - eh - not sure what I mean.

No, I understand what you mean. But the emotion that you feel once finishing a quality film is a good thing - it's often misunderstood and labeled a negative thing, but it's cathartic. It should be experienced again.

No, I understand what you mean. But the emotion that you feel once finishing a quality film is a good thing - it's often misunderstood and labeled a negative thing, but it's cathartic. It should be experienced again.

You mean like marrige?
yikes!

I'm sorry, but there are no "good" movies which I don't want to see again.
This was my view point for awhile , but I don't want to watch The Shining again for awhile.

This was my view point for awhile , but I don't want to watch The Shining again for awhile.

What are ya, yella?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Slumdog Millionaire and Burn

Also, Reds

What films are good then honeykid, for example what would be your ten favourite movies ever?
Have we not had this before? I honestly don't think I could give you a top 10 that I could stick to at the moment. It would also depend on whether we're talking a "best film" top 10 or "favourite film" top 10. They're very different animals for me.

ATTT: I'd say Misery is probably the good film (that I liked) but don't want to see again. I've seen plenty of 'good' films that I never want to see again. The Shining for one.

I was joking around, trying to get you to reveal a list, harrassing you a little. I would suggest half of one animal and half of the other, create a sort of mythological freak of nature. Or I can always make your list for you...

Honeykid's Top Ten Films

1) 2001: A Space Odyssey
2) Dr. Strangelove
3) A Clockwork Orange
4) The Shining
5) Full Metal Jacket
6) Eyes Wide Shut
7) Paths of Glory
8) Spartacus
9) The Killing
10) Lolita

Does that work for you? Okay, good. So everyone, this is honeykid's top ten list from now on, he has to be the biggest Kubrick fan on the site. Cool!

That's just cruel.

However, just for you, I'll put those films in the order that I liked them... Well, I didn't, but you know what I mean. I've not seen the first three and that's why they're at the top of the list. That said, I do think that I'm going to like Paths Of Glory when I (eventually) get around to seeing it. I don't know why, it's just a feeling I have.

1) Paths Of Glory
2) Eyes Wide Shut
3) The Killing
4) The Shining
5) A Clockwork Orange
6) Full Metal Jacket
7) Lolita
8) Dr. Strangelove
9) 2001: A Space Oddessy

I haven't made a mistake...

...it's just that.....

.....I really hated....

10) Spartacus

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm just about to add Spartacus to mafo's Top 100, but it will be a thorough discussion of the pros and cons of the flick. I obviously believe the Pros far outweigh the Cons, but I do hope you love Paths of Glory.