Man of Steel: Have you seen it?

→ in
Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
http://thefilmstage.com/reviews/review-man-of-steel/

The first alinea pretty much says it all for me. It's exactly what I meant with my previous post.
This film CAN'T be interesting, except maybe for the action.
I do like the idea you proposed about a noirish Superman, sadly we may never see that on screen.

I agree with many if your points Watch Tower. The over reliance of the CGI was a tad distracting in The Hobbit, but I still enjoyed the movie. But bringing back Legolas for no reason? Might as well bring back the Kung Fu priest from Dead Alive then. Because why the hell not?

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Hold's a 62% rating now.

That's lower than:

Batman begins
The dark knight
The dark knight rises
Iron man
Iron man 2 (really)
Iron man 3
Watchmen
Thor
The Avengers
Captain America
The Incredible Hulk
Xmen First Class

And even superman Returns.

Basically all comic book movies, haha. Damn ime disappointed.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Damn a rotten 57% now. Can it be that bad?

The biggest winner in all of this is going to be "Superman Returns".

Ok boys and girls... mainly boys seeing as this is a Movie Forum...

My local cinema has changed its scheduling... they're now showing 2D as much as they are 3D...

Next showing 11am Saturday, which in my time, is in 9 hours from now.

Amma bite the bullet and hope there's not too many idiots and kids in the screen and go see it.
12-15 hours from now, you'll have my thoughts.

Cinema was packed... am waiting till next week, maybe Friday, maybe the week after when everyone is at work and at school...

Saw it and sad to say I'm as disappointed as it gets.

4/10

I’m still stunned at how bad it turned out. It’s at least 3/4 of an extremely shallow and ineptly written mess. This reboot made the same mistakes that Amazing Spider-Man made in terms of its supporting cast. Every single one of them are one dimensional and barely even register. They completely wasted Ma and Pa Kent, Perry White, Jor-el and (the biggest crime of all) Lois Lane. Thus, they completely wasted stellar talent and an amazing cast. Everything felt cut and honestly plays like it was written by a teenager. That low level is what surprises me, not that the story itself is lacking like all the critics are saying.

What is also a major surprise is how the super-powered action falls flat. To me, that’s the real disappointment here. There’s no variety. The only time I was pulled out of the monotone video game type action was to notice just how many people were being slaughtered at every turn. We’re talking MASSIVE civilian and military casualties from explosions, planes crashing and buildings crumbling. That was jarring to me and took away from what should have been the coolness factor. (On a side note, why exactly did 7-11 and Sears pay to be put in a film where it’s obvious that their customers and employees were killed just for being in those places of business?)

Overall, this is simply a flat out disappointment devoid of any real fun.

I saw Man of Steel today, and I enjoyed it a lot. One thing I can agree with yellowjacket is that Lois Lane was underdeveloped. Also, there's this other lady who works at the Daily Planet who I didn't even notice until the big destruction scenes were happening, and at that point we were suddenly supposed to care about this random employee who we knew nothing about. There are some flaws to this picture, but to me they didn't hinder the movie as a whole.

These are the same critics who gave Superman Returns a 75% certified fresh rating. And that movie was terrible!
I quite liked Returns, did a whole thread on it here some time ago. It could be dull at times and there were few scenes where Superman was actually, you know, Super. But the core story was good and the dynamic between Superman/Kent and Lois Lane and her obvious superkid was great, I really wanted to see it developed further.

Ok boys and girls... mainly boys seeing as this is a Movie Forum...

My local cinema has changed its scheduling... they're now showing 2D as much as they are 3D...

Next showing 11am Saturday, which in my time, is in 9 hours from now.

Amma bite the bullet and hope there's not too many idiots and kids in the screen and go see it.
12-15 hours from now, you'll have my thoughts.
I might bite the bullet and watch it sometime this week.

I quite liked Returns, did a whole thread on it here some time ago. It could be dull at times and there were few scenes where Superman was actually, you know, Super. But the core story was good and the dynamic between Superman/Kent and Lois Lane and her obvious superkid was great, I really wanted to see it developed further.
Read my new Man of Steel review. Though my opinion on the Superman Returns has not changed, I may have been too harsh on it.

And while I am on the topic of Superman Returns and Superman in general, I think Kevin Smith can give us some insight into why a lot of super hero adaptations to film suck. Before Marvel Studios was able to get more control over what is put on screen, Hollywood studios called the shots on a lot of stuff that was put into the movies. And Kevin Smith details this when at one point in time he was commissioned to write a new Superman movie.

and for laughs, his thoughts on Superman Returns

Watched the film yesterday in an absolutely packed cinema. I even sat in the same seat I watched Iron Man 3 in, probably for a comparison and it was an easy victory for Man of Steel. Despite it being too long by about 20-30 mins I enjoyed every single minute. Unbelievable effects, maybe too reliant on CGI but at the end of the day, it was very hard to make out how computer generated things were.

I'd give the film a solid 8/10 at a minimum, I would say 9.9999 but that would be biased, I've been pretty hyped for this film for months.

Watched the film yesterday in an absolutely packed cinema. I even sat in the same seat I watched Iron Man 3 in, probably for a comparison and it was an easy victory for Man of Steel. Despite it being too long by about 20-30 mins I enjoyed every single minute. Unbelievable effects, maybe too reliant on CGI but at the end of the day, it was very hard to make out how computer generated things were.

I'd give the film a solid 8/10 at a minimum, I would say 9.9999 but that would be biased, I've been pretty hyped for this film for months.
I forgot to mention the effects myself. I don't know if they were the greatest ever, but they knocked Oz right out of the park.

And while I am on the topic of Superman Returns and Superman in general, I think Kevin Smith can give us some insight into why a lot of super hero adaptations to film suck. Before Marvel Studios was able to get more control over what is put on screen, Hollywood studios called the shots on a lot of stuff that was put into the movies. And Kevin Smith details this when at one point in time he was commissioned to write a new Superman movie.

and for laughs, his thoughts on Superman Returns
I love Kevin Smith. I'm going to have to watch that later.

I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. As someone who's never been a big Superman fan I found it entertaining and I like how this Superman is a much more tormented version. I'm glad it's doing so well at the box office.

I've never seen it. There's so many remakes of Superman it seems. Though it was my favorite series as a kid, I've lost interest because of all the Hollywood remakes with it. Well, I just feel that way with them all in general, such as Spider man.