A.I. - Kubrick or Spielberg?

Tools    

Hey, I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if this topic has come up before.

As many of you may know, A.I. was originally going to be directed by Stanley Kubrick. Kubrick then asked Steven Spielberg to direct it because he thought that Spielberg would do a better job, so the film was now Spielberg's. Then Spielberg said that he'd produce it and let Kubrick direct it, Kubrick agreed. But then sadly, Stanley Kubrick passed away. So as a homage to Kubrick, Spielberg wrote a screenplay based on Kubrick's ideas and directed the film.

Kubrick's version of A.I. would have been much darker than Spielberg's and would have probably received an R rating/18.

My question is, if Kubrick didn't pass away, do you think he would have done a better job of the film or not?

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Parky
Hey, I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if this topic has come up before.

As many of you may know, A.I. was originally going to be directed by Stanley Kubrick. Kubrick then asked Steven Spielberg to direct it because he thought that Spielberg would do a better job, so the film was now Spielberg's. Then Spielberg said that he'd produce it and let Kubrick direct it, Kubrick agreed. But then sadly, Stanley Kubrick passed away. So as a homage to Kubrick, Spielberg wrote a screenplay based on Kubrick's ideas and directed the film.

Kubrick's version of A.I. would have been much darker than Spielberg's and would have probably received an R rating/18.

My question is, if Kubrick didn't pass away, do you think he would have done a better job of the film or not?
I'm not sure he would have done a "better" job, but to me it would probably have been more interesting. On the other hand, Kubrick didn't (according to what I've heard) want Spielberg to direct it because he thought Spielberg would do a "better" job, but because he thought the project suited Spielberg's temperament better than his own.

In any case, it would have been very interesting to see what the film would've been like with Kubrick as director and Spielberg as producer. That I would have loved to see.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

A system of cells interlinked
I found A.I to be an odd mix of style. I could clearly see the influence of both directors. The super-toy (do they last all summer?), was very spielberg, while the bleak, quiet future scenes felt very Kubrick. SO I don't think it would have been much different, except maybe for the lensing....

_S

I was enraged when AI came out without Kubrick's name on it. 'Steven Spielberg's AI'. Oh man, i was about to go postal.
Kubrick came up with basically the entire thing. I would have loved to see his rendition, i think it would have been better.

I agree. I think Kubrick would have done a much better job with it. I think Spielberg totally missed the point Kubrick was trying to illustrate. He also made it too George Lucas-ish and did that movie ever end or is it still playing in ever theater? haha what a long drawn out movie

I'm a relatively new fan (huge fan) of Stanley Kubrick. Kubrick's version of the film I imagine, would be a lot darker probably with some of the elements of The Shining in it. It definetly would be rated R and there would be more of a moral on how it relates to real life in it. But Spielberg's version is great and the two would have many similarities.

i happen to agree with piddzilla on this, but regardless...

i do believe and have always believed that a.i. had two endings...

the first, where david and the teddy are at the bottom of the river looking at the blue fairy...if spielberg would have left it there, it would have been kubrick's ending

but it continues on until we have the second ending, the spielberg version

that's only my opinion

Kubrick clearly would have made a better movie. The whole thing was his brain child for years. Spielberg is way to concerned about making the movie family friendly. I read in interviews that Spielberg admitted to toning down a lot of scenes, partically in that pleasure city. In AI they foreshadow this city as being this hedonistic depraved sin city of the future and after driving through a womans mouth were treated to seeing a ******* 3d animated albert einstein with robin williams voice. What the **** is that?? In the original script there was this cool scene with a female sexbot that was cut by Spielberg for it being too edgy. Spielbergs horribly overrated as a director. Hes too concerned about offending his delicate audience, a problem Kibrick never had. For the few good films like Jaws and Private Ryan theres always the crap flicks like Jurrasic Park 2, Hook, ET, Schindlers List, and 1941 that makes make me question his talent.

I liked it too......the bear was sooooo cute.....sorry for sounding really childish.

I think to get The closest to the Kubrick film all one need to do is eject the film before the frozen Ny BS with the aliens stars and leave David at the bottom of the water next to the blue lady. I honestly think that would be what Kubroics feel would be like. Just for passing as opposed to that crap with "seeing my mommy again" that spielberbg wrote in as a filler ending for the family. I also agree with the idea of the "Family friendly sin city BS". I think there was an idea for some demented multi headed/limbed sex bot robotrix that got cut out that was shot. i might be thinking of a different movie... Speilberg has made many great films and the guy that had ET and schindlers list in the crap division insane. Those were two of his best.

I think Kubrick would have made it a better movie. He's the master of "thinking" films.

ET = Silly crap pandering to the family demographic.
Schindlers List = Boring crap. I feel asleep halfway through the film.

Originally Posted by Hellraiser
I dunno about that. I thought E.T. was a great movie. And Schindler's List is my favorite movie of all time.

I don't think that the Jews, who were saved from the hands of the Nazi's would think that their story is boring crap.

Originally Posted by nebbit
I don't think that the Jews, who were saved from the hands of the Nazi's would think that their story is boring crap.
Exactly, I myself am Jewish and it is kind of offensive to hear someone say something like that.

If you didn't like the film that fine. But at least respect it, because it's in honor of the Jewish people who have lost their lives out of Hitler's hatred. And a wonderful man how saved us from him.

maybe you can explain why you thought that a movie like schindler's list was boring crap or why anyone would fall asleep halfway through that film?