What are the best movies that are heavy on dialogue?

Tools    

I love '12 Angry Men.' How bout' the scene near the end when Lee J. Cobb finally breaks down and votes not guilty. He was prejudiced against the juvenile delinquent defendant because his own son went bad.

The most loathsome of all goblins
The Philadelphia Story is a great example. The 30's and 40's in general are chock full of great movies that rely almost entirely on clever dialogue.

I have always loved The Grass Is Greener with Cary Grant, entirely dialogue. I think Tarantino is the current master with Pulp Fiction being my favorite. Sorkin is hit or miss for me but I loved Social Network. I also feel that the dialogue in Lincoln is what made it the best of the year.

I even seen Social Network. What does does that say about me?

I've never watched a movie that relies on dialogue as much as Glengarry Glen Ross. So, for fans of films that are heavy on dialogue and that haven't seen Glengarry Glen Ross yet, then you should see it.

But my favourite has to be Pulp Fiction.

Good Will Hunting has very well-written dialogue, and deservedly earned Ben Affleck the title of being the youngest person ever to win an Oscar for Best Screenplay.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Richard Brooks' Elmer Gantry has the best dialogue of any movie in my opinion, buy there are plenty of others which are fine examples, especially films by Lubitsch, Joe Mankiewicz and Billy Wilder.

Thank You for Smoking (2005).

Great movie, satirical comedy, but very funny. The dialog makes it.

Social Network was a good one, very dialog heavy

"Do you know what 'Nemesis' means?"
The Shipping News - criminally under-appreciated movie

Having said that, Newfoundlanders tend to dislike it as they don't like the way they and their island is represented; great film though it may be, I'm with the islanders on this - been to Newfoundland many times & a more beautiful, friendly place you'd be hard pressed to find.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Slacker is a brilliant and endlessly interesting film that revolves entirely around hopping from character to character and letting each one say their piece. It's Linklater's first filled with Joycean references and interesting philosophies. Not to mention that it's mostly in long takes! Slacker is an endlessly entertaining talkie that perfectly captures a time and space.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Close-Up
Paths of Glory
Murmur of the Heart
Late Spring
Tokyo Story
High and Low
Ikiru
My Dinner With Andre

Sleuth 1972 !!!

Reped! Great choice. One of my fav movies.

Apart from that I would say all of Tarantino's movies are dialog heavy, he has distinct style of building up a story with casual chit chat.

Most notably Travolta-Jackson idle conversation in a car to bam, killing three people in Pulp Fiction.

And of course Shawshank, its movie more for the ears than for the eyes.

His Girl Friday. Brilliant rapid-fire dialogue delivered beautifully by a great cast. Billy Gilbert is delicious.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
I'd also recommend Z, Judgment to Nuremberg, and Scenes From a Marriage.

Heavy on dialogue? I guess Persona is the highest ranked film on my favorites list that is driven by dialogue more than everything else.

Tokyo Story and Ikiru may be regarded as heavy on dialogue? I don't think so. They use dialogue to a moderate extent, more than a typical hollywood blockbuster but less than a typical Bergman film.

There is more, but these are dialogue-heavy, and the dialogue is terrific.

Elmer Gantry
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Casablanca
One, Two, Three
Sunset Blvd.
Heaven Can Wait (1943)
The Front Page/His Girl Friday
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Pygmalion
Some Like It Hot

I could list hundreds more, but that makes it no fun for everybody else.
Hi,

I totally agree with you on Who's 'Afraid of Virginia Woolf?'!