Controversial Opinion (Looper and Blade Runner)

Tools    

I better watch Looper soon. Blade Runner and its sequel are two of the finest sci-fi movies I've ever seen of are extremely close in quality. But I've heard a lot of good thingd about Looper, and as a fan of 3rd Rock, Bruce Willis, and time travel, I know this movie's up my alley.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I also liked Looper more. I liked a lot of the questions Blade Runner asked, but I wasn't particularly engrossed with the film itself. I've never read the novel for Blade Runner, but I always assumed I might have enjoyed the concept presented in such a manner more than how it was in the film. I liked the ideas of Looper as well, but, at the end of the day, I was also simply very entertained by the film. We talk about influence and whether we'll talk about one film decades later and not another, but that has no inherent result on whether a film entertains at presenting its narrative in an entertaining fashion. Every film doesn't reach "classic" status because it's a great film. Sometimes it's lightning captured in a bottle or a marketing campaign, or something as simple as a film becoming public-domain and small-time television stations spamming their viewers with it to death.

I will say that I think Blade Runner is a billion times better than Looper. A giant versus a microbe.

And I didn't even think Looper was that bad. It's an enjoyable flick if you don't want to think too much (because it immediately collapses when you do).

I'm not in the mood to write a huge post on this as I'm going to watch a film. Blade Runner is both cinematically and philosophically infinitely more interesting. Looper is a film that's built on a very flawed plot (it makes the classic time paradox mistake, which is something I really can't stand, especially when the film is taking itself so seriously as in Looper's case), while Blade Runner is based on fascinating ideas and an almost unsurpassed atmosphere (both visually and sound-wise). Looper doesn't even reach a fraction of Blade Runner's richness as a cinematic piece of art.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I too feel that Looper has a more compelling story, but Blade Runner has a really seductive atmosphere, that does a lot surprisingly, so it's a tough call.

As to say Looper makes the classic paradox mistake, I think it meant to take place in that classic time travel world of rules, and I don't think it was denying that it wasn't.

But I think Blade Runner is more of a artistic style film where as Looper is much more character driven. Looper is like The Dark Knight (2008), where as Blade Runner is more like The Crow (1994), cause I think it cares about creating a world, rather than being as character driven, but still good.

Looper has a more focused and tight plot as well, where as Blade Runner does meander a in some sections of the plot.

I also felt the love between Bruce Willis's character and his lost love, even though they only showed them together for like two minutes, where as I couldn't get into the romance in Blade Runner, even though the two had a lot more screentime.

A system of cells interlinked
Everyone in this thread aside from Cobpyth is banned permanently.

"Quite an experience to live in fear isn't it?"

I seen Predator once, that was enough. It might be ok with beer and pretzels but it's nothing deep...there's nothing thought provoking about it. Cool if you like it, though.

Snowpiercer was in the Sci Fi Hof that I ran. It came in last place. I don't think anybody liked it.

Sci Fi Hof

1 The Thing (1982)........................Destiny
2 Children of Men (2006)...............MovieMeditation
3 The Face of Another (1966)........Sane
4 Time After Time (1979)...............GBgoodies
5 Escape from New York (1981)....Iroquois
6 Brazil (1985)...............................Lucas
7 Starship Troopers (1997)...........Citizen Rules
8 Gunbuster (1988).......................Guaporense
9 Paprika (2006)............................Pussy Galore
10 Snowpiercer (2013)...................NatashaR
I find it surprising. Oh well, I'm a huge Snowpiercer fan. I thought it was quite possibly the best movie made in the year it came out.

I find it surprising. Oh well, I'm a huge Snowpiercer fan. I thought it was quite possibly the best movie made in the year it came out.
Snowpiercer was cool in that it did world building so well. Each compartment of the train was like a whole different world. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Have you seen the other sci-fis on that list I posted?

I don't understand this line of thinking. When it comes to art (i.e. entertainment) what else is there to rank it by except subjective satisfaction from the experience? There is no objective value in art.
There should be an objective value in the art of film. You can acknowledge the brilliance in the art of a certain film without being a fan, and without finding it particularly watchable. And just because a movie is highly entertaining doesn't necessarily make it a superior work of art.

Commando is a million times more entertaining than Schindler's List, but objectively speaking, there's no way to consider it a superior or even comparable piece of art.

So yes, there has to be a certain objectivity to judging films.

Snowpiercer was cool in that it did world building so well. Each compartment of the train was like a whole different world. I thought that was pretty interesting.

I've seen 4 from your list

. The thing
. Children of men
. Brazil
. Paprika

I've seen The Thing, Children of Men, Brazil, Escape from NY, and Starship Troopers. Not the rest.

Which of the rest would you most highly recommend?

Granted, I haven't watched Starship Troopers since the late 90s... I remember hating it.

The Thing is a classic. Brazil is complicated, but I admit, an excellent film.

Children of Men is growing on me with repeated viewings, and I'm now starting to see it's greatness.

I think Escape from NY is one of the most overrated movies ever made.

I've seen The Thing, Children of Men, Brazil, Escape from NY, and Starship Troopers. Not the rest.

Paprika is a good film.

Paprika is a good film.
Just Googled it. Truth be told, I've never really given anime movies much of a chance.... but that doesn't mean I'd be opposed to doing so in the future.

So my advise would be, keep reminding me about it lol. I'll get around to watching it one day.

Speaking of sci-fi, I'm actually rewatching 12 Monkeys as I type this lol.

Paprika is a good film.
Just Googled it. Truth be told, I've never really given anime movies much of a chance.... but that doesn't mean I'd be opposed to doing so in the future.

So my advise would be, keep reminding me about it lol. I'll get around to watching it one day.

Speaking of sci-fi, I'm actually rewatching 12 Monkeys as I type this lol.
Haven't watched that in a while. All I remember of it is that it's a tv adaption. Hmm should find it and watch it again.

...I haven't watched Starship Troopers since the late 90s... I remember hating it.

Children of Men is growing on me with repeated viewings, and I'm now starting to see it's greatness.

It's interesting how we all can have similar views and yet different too. I agree about The Thing and Brazil. I'm a huge fan of Starship Troopers, though I know a lot of people don't like it. That was my nomination in the Sci Fi Hof BTW.

If you like anime, people seemed to like Paprika, it was kind of weird for me, I didn't like it much. Both of these are good but different: The Face of Another (1966) is a Japanese classic. Time After Time (1979) is a fun and well done Jack the Ripper traveling through time movie, but it's not horror.

Haven't watched that in a while. All I remember of it is that it's a tv adaption. Hmm should find it and watch it again.
I was a teen the first time I saw 12 Monkeys. I thought it was crap, because I didn't really understand it. Now i love it! It definitely warrants a rewatch if you haven't seen it awhile.

I was a teen the first time I saw 12 Monkeys. I thought it was crap, because I didn't really understand it. Now i love it! It definitely warrants a rewatch if you haven't seen it awhile.
I will do I think. I'll watch it tomorrow and see if it's still as good as I used to think it was

12 Monkeys is deep, great film and Bruce Willis is excellent in it.

...I haven't watched Starship Troopers since the late 90s... I remember hating it.

It's interesting how we all can have similar views and yet different too. I agree about The Thing and Brazil. I'm a huge fan of Starship Troopers, though I know a lot of people don't like it. That was my nomination in the Sci Fi Hof BTW.

If you like anime, people seemed to like Paprika, it was kind of weird for me, I didn't like it much. Both of these are good but different: The Face of Another (1966) is a Japanese classic. Time After Time (1979) is a fun and well done Jack the Ripper traveling through time movie, but it's not horror.
That time after time seems interesting. I'm going to add that to my ever growing watch list.