Favorite Stand-Up Comedians?

Tools    

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Can you elaborate? I'm not sure, because for me, they're not what they used to be in terms of quality (laughter - inside or out) and I watch less and less. It seems like the podcast form, where a guy sits for hours talks mostly nothing, but a few funny parts, mixed in with stand-up.
My thoughts go to the all-time specials. Stuff like Delirious and Bill Cosby: Himself. It just came across larger than the sum of its parts. An event. It’s theater. An energy.

The Kyle Kinane special that nobody watched is the best thing I’ve seen in recent memory. Every premise in that special is A material that he has multiple tags for. It doesn’t stop. But it still feels like a club set for lack of a better term. The new Segura special was one of his better ones and it’s still forgettable.

Comedy’s changed and I realize that my opinions are formed by these old specials. So it’s definitely me. At the same time, a lot of these people are selling friendship through their podcasts and their material is not getting worked over. Why sweat catching the check drop set when you make $20,000 a month on your pod. Normand gets a lot of respect for how he still grinds in light of not having to.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
My thoughts go to the all-time specials. Stuff like Delirious and Bill Cosby: Himself. It just came across larger than the sum of its parts. An event. It’s theater. An energy.

The Kyle Kinane special that nobody watched is the best thing I’ve seen in recent memory. Every premise in that special is A material that he has multiple tags for. It doesn’t stop. But it still feels like a club set for lack of a better term. The new Segura special was one of his better ones and it’s still forgettable.

Comedy’s changed and I realize that my opinions are formed by these old specials. So it’s definitely me. At the same time, a lot of these people are selling friendship through their podcasts and their material is not getting worked over. Why sweat catching the check drop set when you make $20,000 a month on your pod. Normand gets a lot of respect for how he still grinds in light of not having to.

Eddie Murphy was the first comedian I saw.. Me and a friend (having just graduated) had the house to ourselves, got a case of beer (despite only being 17) and had quite a laugh, but we rented "Raw" on his recommendation, and then rented "Delirious" a few days later, and thought that was even better. But because he only had those, I still needed more, and would watch anything, and got into Dave Chappelle. Then while searching on Kazaa Lite, I saw "Bill Hicks - Great Time On Drugs" and thought "how audacious!" who led me to Mort Sahl.

Bill Burr was doing advertisements in the middle of the show, and yeah, they're much different. It was twice as long, but should have been twice as short, but it was like he was on my couch, shooting the shit.

Lewis Black
Jeff Dunham

I dont watch much stand up comedy, to be honest.

There will never again be another George Carlin.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
There will never again be another George Carlin.

I saw him live twice toward his (our) end, and he was very bitter, but I don't blame him.

"Jammin' in NY" is my favorite video special, but I love his earliest work. The Burns & Carlin Playboy album is on YouTube, too... And even attempting to do an impression of Mort Sahl (while impossible) is quite an accomplishment.

1st Time on TV (The Tonight Show) -- I wish someone uploads the entire thing one day soon!

Saying that SNL is dead is nothing new. Part of me feels like it can be people age, tastes change, crap on the young generation.

Now it feels slimy and dirty. When they fired Shane Gillis over stuff he said in the past, there was a lot of moral high ground stuff used in addressing it. What do you say when you bring him on to host? “Oops, our bad”?

I support people having convictions and standing by them. Just make sure you toe that line after you draw it.

“Where you get them chheeee, Danny!?!”

I haven't seen much stand-up since I was a teen, but back then I would watch Comedy Central routines with my friends. The most memorable one where we laughed hardest was Mitch Hedberg and then there was that skinny older tripped out New Yorker guy with the long curly hair who also appeared on Letterman a couple times. He was so mellow but so funny.

Just saw Tim Cavanagh (Bob and Tom fame) live here in Iowa. Pretty funny, but I couldnt tell if some of the material was amateur on purpose (long casual discussions with audience members) or if it was part of the act...

Jim Gaffigan
Dave Chappelle
Dave Attell
Mike Epps
Mike Birbiglia

Attell is always put at the top of the mountain, at least by the NY comics.

Someone was telling a story about the comic’s table at the Cellar. Sandler came in and sat down at the head of the table. Everyone was happy.

Attell comes in to one of the bars on the other side of the room. Sandler hops up and starts going, “Dave! Dave!…”. In true Attell fashion, he turns and sighs, “What is it Adam?” 🤣