What Are Your Top 3 Favorite Albums?

Tools    

Partly the reason yes.

But musically speaking Speed metal is the bridge between Heavy metal/NWOBHM (New wave of British Heavy Metal) and Thrash metal. Speed Metal is more technical and melodic than thrash, while being faster and utilizing harsher vocals than heavy metal. If you listen to a band like Iron Maiden (Heavy), then Exciter (Speed) and then finally to something like Slayer (Thrash) you will notice a distinct difference between the three bands and the type of music they play.
Sooo... melodically it goes Thrash > Speed > Heavy > Power?

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Babymetal is fricken' weird... I think I like it.

My Spirit Will Go On, 200.02 BPM
Exciter, 144.82 BPM

>_>

Just because they play fast, does not mean that they are Speed metal. Dragonforce themselves are actually Power metal. Power metal evolved from Speed metal, and quite a few progenitors of the genre (Helloween, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian) are credited as "Speed/Power" metal bands, but "newer" bands like Dragonforce, Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Stratovarius, Rhapsody and Kamelot all directly inhabit the realm of "Power metal". There is a difference, if you choose not to see it or accept/care about it, than that's your own prerogative, but please don't spread misinformation to others.

Sooo... melodically it goes Thrash > Speed > Heavy > Power?

From most melodic to least.

Power > Heavy > Speed > Thrash

But you'd be missing out on a lot by not mentioning Progressive, Folk and Doom metal. Also in that spectrum we have certain sub genres and bands that utilize melody in interesting ways. I mean there's a genre of death metal called Melodeath, which is exactly as it sounds, Melodic Death Metal.

From most melodic to least.

Power > Heavy > Speed > Thrash

But you'd be missing out on a lot by not mentioning Progressive, Folk and Doom metal. Also in that spectrum we have certain sub genres and bands that utilize melody in interesting ways. I mean there's a genre of death metal called Melodeath, which is exactly as it sounds, Melodic Death Metal.
It just seems silly to me to not allow the idea that music can inhabit multiple genres. Movies and video games do it all the time.

It can occupy multiple genre's, but it needs to be incorporated appropriately. A band can't really be speed/power, because speed metal is part and parcel to power metal. A band can be black/death metal however, because the two genre's evolved separately. Sometimes classifications and labels can help a person discover new music and stay away from what they don't like. There is often so much variation in different genre's that it can be confusing to the uninitiated.

A Bunch of other favorite of mine:
Billy Talent - Billy Talent I (2003)

- Childhood Band and indeed childhood album. So many great memories. One of the best Punk album of all-time.
Favorite Song of the album:

System Of A Down - Mezmerize (2005)

- Awesome memories while listening that album. I hope SOAD do another album in the near future.

Linkin Park - Meteora (2003)

- People know how I love old Linkin Park. Hybrid Theory and Meteora for me are Masterpieces.

It can occupy multiple genre's, but it needs to be incorporated appropriately. A band can't really be speed/power, because speed metal is part and parcel to power metal.
It sounds like you're saying a Rectangle can't also be a Quadrilateral because Rectangles are part of Quadrilaterals.

It sounds like you're saying a Rectangle can't also be a Quadrilateral because Rectangles are part of Quadrilaterals.
Well, I guess if that's how you choose to look at it, but I'd say that's a rather obtuse point of view.

While it's origins are in Speed Metal, it's much more than that, the music is more aggressive and the imagery is worlds apart and both have dedicated fan bases. See, to me it also seems that by your logic, punk, black metal and thrash metal would also be interchangeable terms, because the origins of both black/thrash lie in punk. Should we just refer to all forms of Metal music as Rock and Roll? Are you one of those "It's all metal, it's all good" guys?

Well, I guess if that's how you choose to look at it, but I'd say that's a rather obtuse point of view.

While it's origins are in Speed Metal, it's much more than that, the music is more aggressive and the imagery is worlds apart and both have dedicated fan bases. See, to me it also seems that by your logic, punk, black metal and thrash metal would also be interchangeable terms, because the origins of both black/thrash lie in punk. Should we just refer to all forms of Metal music as Rock and Roll? Are you one of those "It's all metal, it's all good" guys?
Of course not, "interchangeability" is something you put in my mouth.

I just don't see any merit in drawing black and white lines around songs, and especially bands, when their sound can change at the drop of a hat.

Saying DragonForce can't be considered Speed Metal seems ridiculous and you must see that speaking down to me on the topic is no way to sway me to your position.

I don't mean to offend, it just seems like a trivial distinction and I can't help but get elitist vibes from the uncompromising way you talk.

anyone that doesn't know a lot about the genre (I'm talking to you Omni)
Gave you +1 to make you feel better
you're already ignorant about this genre and just keep making yourself look like a fool
if you yourself have half a brain to realize you're incorrect
I don't believe your tastes have fully developed yet
your lack of knowledge pervades this thread in such a way that makes you look inept.
someone who doesn't know the first thing about this genre, should not open his mouth and speak
accept help given to you with a smile and a thank you sir.
just sit quietly and speak when spoken to and I will teach you
Being wrong is your decision,
You can think what you want, you're still incorrect.
please don't spread misinformation to others.
((What damage could I possibly do??))

it can be confusing to the uninitiated.
that's a rather obtuse point of view
Originally Posted by AboveTheClouds
Metalcore is Hardcore Punk mixed with Death Metal, it's basically it's own genre
Originally Posted by Omnizoa
I think arguing musical genres is one of the most impossible things to fight over since there's so much cross-blending.
To be honest, ever since the Metalheads tournament I've been listening to metal more than any other genre. Since then I've listened to more Animals As Leaders and I've found In This Moment, Sister Sin, and just yesterday, Ordan Ogen, which I really dig.

I probably won't ever agree with your insistence on the increasing subdivision of musical genres and I probably won't ever share your love of Death Metal and the like (I'm far too fond of my melodies, tamer vocals, and less-than-gruesome subject matter), but let's not play like I don't have a vested interest in the genre.

I'm just the sort of person who pains for hours over how to categorize my library by genre without spreading these kinds of broad terms too thick or thin. Ultimately it feels fruitless. I know what I like and what I like isn't constrained by metal or any number of it's seemingly arbitrary subgenres.

A Bunch of other favorite of mine:
Billy Talent - Billy Talent I (2003)
Haven't heard of them before. I like the song.

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard
System Of A Down - Mezmerize (2005)
That's one of the 3 SOAD songs I really like (along with Toxicity and Aerials). The thing that always gets me with SOAD is they're not entirely serious, the vocals get really silly. I can appreciate them doing their own thing, but I feel like it mildly spoils their songs.

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard
Linkin Park - Meteora (2003)
A favorite of mine too and probably my most favorite off the album.

I really like a couple of their "newer" songs I've heard like Lost in the Echo and Across The Line (especially Nightcore'd *shame*).

I find so many songs, but I wind up with no motivation to buy the the CDs they belong to because they're the only songs I like off their albums. That's why I like Licensed Compilation albums, so here's my Top 3 of that.

3.) Pure 80s by UTV Records

A lotta memorable songs, it's pretty hard to pick one as my stand-out favorite. I like Our House, I like Sweet Dreams, I like Video Killed The Radio Star... I think I'll go with...

2.) Now That's What I Call Classic Rock
by EMI Music

Though it's questionable whether it's fair to term some of these Classic Rock, it has a fair pick of similarly memorable rock songs I have difficulty picking between. I really like More Than A Feeling, Carry On My Wayward Son, and I'm particularly partial to Kiss's Rock and Roll All Night (Alive!) among others, but I really really like-

1.) Now That's What I Call The 80s Hits
by EMI Music

The others were hard picks and I had heard nearly all of them before, but here there's little contest. I like Down Under and Always Something There To Remind Me and whatnot, but my favorite by far (which I hadn't heard of before finding this album) is:

So 80s...
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	PURE_80S.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	26397   Click image for larger version

Name:	61rgabTHSoL.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	26398   Click image for larger version

Name:	612Ly%2BU33TL.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	26399  

A system of cells interlinked
Speaking of metal genres and melody, we can't forget Melodic Death Metal. Due to the Death vox, the melody switches to the instruments instead. Melodeath is one of my favorite sub-genres in metal.

Here are a couple of examples:

Dark Tranquillity - Monochromatic Stains

Amon Amarth - Runes to my Memory

Speaking of metal genres and melody, we can't forget Melodic Death Metal. Due to the Death vox, the melody switches to the instruments instead. Melodeath is one of my favorite sub-genres in metal.

Here are a couple of examples:

Dark Tranquillity - Monochromatic Stains

Amon Amarth - Runes to my Memory
I could definitely get into those if the vocals didn't put me off so much.

I could definitely get into those if the vocals didn't put me off so much.
I used to abhor harsh vocals. If i heard them in a song, I would shut it off right away. At some point, they grew on me, and now I think they are often the best fit for metal. Not sure what changed my mind, really. I think i sort of worked my way into it with tracks that had both clean and harsh vocals, like this:

Dark Tranquillity - State of Trust

I used to abhor harsh vocals. If i heard them in a song, I would shut it off right away. At some point, they grew on me, and now I think they are often the best fit for metal. Not sure what changed my mind, really. I think i sort of worked my way into it with tracks that had both clean and harsh vocals, like this:

Dark Tranquillity - State of Trust
Now that's more my jam.

I got a bunch of songs that I really like that have SOME harsh vocals in them, but I feel like they're earned because they're often built up to for the chorus. It's when they dominate the song and/or they're so guttural they're unintelligible that they put me off.

The first one I was able to get into was The Poison by Bullet for My Valentine. I also like Voices by Crown The Empire (even if it's "not metal enough"). I think the song I like with the harshest vocals is The Great Divide by In This Moment.

Now that's more my jam.

I got a bunch of songs that I really like that have SOME harsh vocals in them, but I feel like they're earned because they're often built up to for the chorus. It's when they dominate the song and/or they're so guttural they're unintelligible that they put me off.

The first one I was able to get into was The Poison by Bullet for My Valentine. I also like Voices by Crown The Empire (even if it's "not metal enough"). I think the song I like with the harshest vocals is The Great Divide by In This Moment.

Cool tune.

I agree about the unintelligible vocals, so I tend to only listen to harsh bands that have a singer that has good diction with his or her harsh vocals.

How about the reverse of what you said, in that the song builds up to cleans in the pre-chorus and chorus while using harsh for the verses? Like so:

Amorphis - Dealth of a King

How about the reverse of what you said, in that the song builds up to cleans in the pre-chorus and chorus while using harsh for the verses? Like so:

Amorphis - Dealth of a King
Seeeeeee, the thing with that is two things:

On one hand you got the growly voice which sounds like the guy is belching his lines.

On the other hand when he finally stops and starts actually singing I'm left scratching my head why he wasn't just doing that the whole time.

When the harsh vocals are less "growls" and more "screams" then you a have much more potent emotional delivery which makes sense to build up to in the third verse where the song is supposed to climax if it's at all intended to be emotionally charged.

In This Moment does this quite a bit and I not only stand it, but enjoy it because it doesn't sound silly, it's not terribly hard on the ears, and it's suits the tone of the song.

Even one of my favorite songs, Nightmare to Remember by Dream Theater has an "angry" third verse which I feel makes it unintentionally funny considering that the entire buildup to the song has been this emotional recollection of a car trash and the traumatic experience that followed in the hospital... which is then bookended by the singers getting all growly and intimidating to say "BY THE GRACE OF GOD ABOVE, EVERYONE SURVIVED! RAAAAWWWWWWW!!!!!"

That... sounds like good news... I don't know why it's being delivered like it's bad news...

"I got into a car crash and nobody died.
RAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!"

I think the worst case I can think of offhand may be Dimmu Borgir's Progenies of the Great Apocalypse because it specifically does what you suggested. I REALLY like the song, but Borgir ruins it for me as soon as he butts in with his laryngitis . It's even more annoying when halfway through the song he stops and the REST OF THE BAND start singing without him and they sound GREAT!

It just makes me wonder why he's even there if his only job is to do what everyone else can already do worse.

Fortunately there's an instrumental, but there's no such justice for other great songs like Lake Bodom by Children of Bodom.

Harsh vocals are the way to go for metal. They fit the genre perfectly.