Kung Fu Hustle vs. Kill Bill: Which is the better homage?

Tools    

Kill Bill versus Kung Fu Hustle: Which is the better homage?
57.14%
4 votes
Kung Fu Hustle
42.86%
3 votes
Kill Bill
7 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 is a very good film(s), even if not Tarantino's top-of-the-top work. It's got all the signature Tarantino elements in it: 80s-style pizzazz, excessive profanity, excessive yet cartoonish gore, and huge amounts of intense violence. It's fantastic.

Kung Fu Hustle is the one of Stephen Chow's best movies and what I consider to be the best action comedy movie ever made. Quentin Tarantino considers it an excellent film himself and was actually single-handedly responsible for it's widespread distribution around the US (although not as much as I would've liked).

What both films have in common (other than cartoonish violence) is their homages to the kung-fu flicks of old, a la Shaw Brothers and Bruce Lee.

But the question here is, which one is the better homage? I do like Kung Fu Hustle more but Kill Bill is great too, so I'll let you guys decide with a poll.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
If it's an homage to kung fu, then Hustle hands down (or should I say palm of Buddha down? *snickers*). Hard to honor Chinese kung fu using Japanese steel. On a technicality.

=*(

If it's an homage to kung fu, then Hustle hands down (or should I say palm of Buddha down? *snickers*). Hard to honor Chinese kung fu using Japanese steel. On a technicality.

=*(
Well, Volume 2 does do it a lot better with the "Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique." And Pai Mei's badassery. Gordon Liu is awesome.

And she does use a katana.... in Bruce Lee's jumpsuit.

I'm not sure I saw Kung Fu Hustle, thereby can't vote.

I like Kill Bill, but I think it's a bit childish, and as much as I like him, Tatantino does have a thing for showing off. But Uma's in it, so I forgive him. Plus it's an hommage to Bruce etc. But I agree with Uma, I doon't like violent movies in the core of it.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Oh, I agree that KB is better a film, I'm just speaking strictly to them both as honoring kung fu. KB seems to be all over the place with cultural reference--at least in pop culture, rather than historical culture. KFH, I think, stays more traditional at its heart.

My reference to the issue of honoring kung fu with Japanese steel was in light of events like the Nanking Massacre. If anything, it feels disrespectful. If you want to go so deep.

But yeah, I enjoyed both movies. I'm able enjoy rewatches of KFH more though.

Oh, I agree that KB is better a film, I'm just speaking strictly to them both as honoring kung fu. KB seems to be all over the place with cultural reference--at least in pop culture, rather than historical culture. KFH, I think, stays more traditional at its heart.

My reference to the issue of honoring kung fu with Japanese steel was in light of events like the Nanking Massacre. If anything, it feels disrespectful. If you want to go so deep.

But yeah, I enjoyed both movies. I'm able enjoy rewatches of KFH more though.
Agreed. Kill Bill does also honor the great Samurai movies of old that Tarantino loved as well.

And as for rewatches, I've seen Kung Fu Hustle about 5 times and it's still fresh.