2011 Best Actress Oscar

Tools    

If you had an Oscar vote for Best Actress, where would it go?
12.50%
3 votes
Annette Bening, THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT
0%
0 votes
Nicole Kidman, RABBIT HOLE
0%
0 votes
Jennifer Lawrence, WINTER'S BONE
83.33%
20 votes
Natalie Portman, BLACK SWAN
4.17%
1 votes
Michelle Williams, BLUE VALENTINE
24 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Annette Bening, The Kids Are All Right

Nicole Kidman, Rabbit Hole

Jennifer Lawrence, Winter's Bone

Natalie Portman, Black Swan

Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine

Who was best in your estimation? Who was snubbed?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

They'll give it to Portman in Black Swan. The Academy and kids these days are in to those kinds of artsy, gimmicky films.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Portman gave the most dedicated performance, next to Williams. Not taking anything away from the other nominees, who were good.

Portman will win.

Suspect's Reviews

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I would really like to see Bening win, but Portman will most likely take home the win.

Lawrence should win, her performance is the most iconic one in quite some time. Bening was far from the standout performer in The Kids Are All Right. Portman will probably get it, she does a solid job in a tough role, but I didn't find her that impressive. Kidman was forgettable. Michelle Williams was excellent in a raw role, she has a nice quiet, preoccupied style, I would lace her performance behind only Lawrence.

Yet another category where there is a clear favorite, with Natalie Portman having won most of the major prizes and awards this season, and seemingly had Oscar in her sites the moment Black Swan hit the screens. But will there be an upset?

Jennifer Lawrence was a revelation in Winter's Bone, but for her to somehow win would be one of the biggest surprises in Oscar history. Just ain't gonna happen. But now that she is on the radar, the next few years should have good filmmakers seeking her out, so the twenty-one-year-old may have more opportunities in the future. Her performance in Winter's Bone certainly makes her a name to watch, Oscar nomination or not.

Michelle Williams is flat-out amazing in Blue Valentine. This is her second nomination, having been nominated for Brokeback Mountain a few years ago. She's come a long way since learning her way on "Dawson's Creek", and I think she's done lots of good work on film, largely unnoticed in the likes of Me Without You, Land of Plenty and A Hole in One. Her work in Wendy & Lucy two years ago did rightly get some prizes and nominations, though not from the Academy. But Blue Valentine is by far her best performance, watching a young woman at the beginning and the end of a relationship, the choices she makes that get them together and the emotionally unbearable place the narrative finds her in years later. I am a massive Ryan Gossling fan, and he's good in the movie, but this is a tour de force for Ms. Williams, not him. If I had an actual Oscar ballot, I'd vote for Michelle. But one doesn't get the feeling that's the way it's heading, especially since it is the film's only nomination. But she's only thirty, and I have to believe now that she's made it to the nominated circle a couple times that she will be back multiple times in the future.

This is Nicole Kidman's third nomination, and she was named Best Actress eight years ago for The Hours. I know Kidman has her detractors, though it seems as much based on her off screen persona than anything she does professionally, but I thought she was excellent in Rabbit Hole, up there with Margot at the Wedding as her best work in the past ten years...both being better than The Hours, actually. But as good as she is, since she already has "Oscar winner" on her resume, I don't expect she'll win for a movie that didn't get any other nominations (not that it didn't deserve some).

Unlike Kidman, seems that just about everybody loves Annette Bening, on screen and off. Certainly her peers and the film industry adore her. This is her fourth Oscar nomination, dating back to 1990's The Grifters, then later for American Beauty and Being Julia. As well liked as she is, she didn't win for any of those previous noms, losing the last two both to Hilary Swank (Boys Don't Cry and Million Dollar Baby). Annette is just about always good, and she's good in The Kids Are All Right. But frankly it's the supporting role, Julianne Moore is the lead, and that she is nominated while Julianne is not is just strange to me. Bening will turn fifty-three this year, is happily married to an Oscar-winning Hollywood icon, and doesn't work a whole lot anymore. But while it seems like there are forces out there trying to make this her year, once again I think she's going to finish second to a younger actress with more heat. And the Studio or managers or Oscar membership or whoever it was that put Bening in the lead instead of supporting category, they cost her the best chance for winning. As Best Supporting Actress this year, she'd be the favorite. Oh, well.

Natalie Portman is a near lock to win. Nothing is certain, of course, and upsets happen every now and then, even at the Academy Awards. But let's be serious: if any of the other four names are called Oscar night it will be a shock. And Portman did the best work of her career thus far in Black Swan, so good on her. This is just her second nomination (Supporting Actress for Closer), and to think that the Academy will not reward a beautiful, popular twenty-nine-year-old who graces magazine covers and is the centerpiece of one of the most artsy movies of the year in a role that demanded not just acting but a devotion to the study of ballet and the physical rigors and transformation that required...well, you're just kidding yourself if you bet against her.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	black-swan-natalie-portman.jpg
Views:	5186
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	7025  

I'm actually legitimately upset that Benning isn't in the Supporting Actress Category this year. They just screwed a woman out of an Oscar that I feel she truly deserves. I mean, what the hell? Look, I love the Oscars, but dammit, I wish someone would explain to me how they come to so many of these backwards ass decisions and why its just "OK" for them to do so?

I really do like all five of the nominated performances, but apart from the fact that Bening and Hailee Steinfeld should swap their Oscar spots, I'd also have been happy to see Annette's Kids Are All Right co-star Julianne Moore (who was also good in Egoyan's silly Chloe), Greta Gerwig made the drifting quirky thirtysomething realistic and her own in Greenberg, the movie itself was a forgettable travelogue but Patricia Clarkson was magnetic as always in Cairo Time, and though the Plamegate piece Fair Game was no All the President's Men it wasn't the fault of Naomi Watts, who was very good.

Oh, yes. I forgot to mention it above while detailing why there is no way in Hell anybody but Natalie Portman is going to win the Best Actress Oscar: she's pregnant. Awwwww. You think they are going to pass over that sidestory and photo opportunity? No way. If I was an agent who had a female client with any decent shot at an Oscar, I'd advise her to start having unprotected sex, hopefully with somebody attractive for the tabloids, and really get going at it in August and September, hopefully resulting in a six-month or so baby bump come awards season!

I am burdened with glorious purpose
She looks so cute! It's interesting to see her like this when she was sooooo skinny in Black Swan.

I saw The Kids are All Right last night. Annette was really great!

I think Portman is still the one who should win.....

BANNED
I think Natalie Portman Can win this award. This is her most excellent acting I'd ever seen. I never knew Queen Amelada can act like this.

My vote goes to Portman

Portman was brilliant in Black Swan so my vote's for her.