POLL: Best Coen Brother's Movie

Tools    

Fargo
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

I am having a nervous breakdance
The Big Lebowski.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Shameless self promotion
Barton Fink's my fave, wouldn't say it was their best but definitely my favourite.

Miller's Crossing

I would've said The Big Lebowski, but it lost most of it's appeal after I watched it a second time.

Dead tie between The Big Lebowski and Blood Simple for me. I want to see Miller's Crossing more than any movie in the world right now. I just can't find it without ordering it online, and that's usually a last resort for me.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by susan
it was the waffle hut....
In which film? In Fargo the bleach blonde crook definitely says "Let's go to Pancakes house" while they are driving.... This is what I am referring to...

Blood Simple would be third for me, followed by The Big Lebowski...

My favorite is Raising Arizona, probably because it was the first Coen Bros. flick I ever saw, and it knocked my socks off. I didn't even know the name "Coen Brothers" until I saw O Brother Where Art Thou. While I was watching it I thought, "Whoever made this movie also made Raising Arizona." So I looked at the end credits, compared them with the credits on my VHS copy of RA, and sho' nuff I was right.

Now I own every one of their movies on DVD...including Crimewave, which nobody here seems to know about or acknowlege. Crimewave was their second film, right after Blood Simple. It was one of their joint ventures with Sam Raimi, and somehow has gotten swept under the table and forgotten. That's a shame 'cause, in my opinion, it's a hilarious movie. The main character is telling his story from the electric chair in Hudsucker State Prison.

The movie isn't even sold in America. I had to order my copy from a warehouse in Korea. It came with forced Chinese subtitles, so I burned it to DVD+R with the subs removed. It was well worth the time and money. Without this movie, you can't say that your Coen Brothers' collection is complete.

The Coens didn't direct Crimewave, only co-wrote it (with Raimi, who directed). It's not included or discussed in their filmography because it isn't one of their films...it's one of Sam's. It's also not very good. It has a couple moments here and there, and you can see Joel & Ethan's sensibility underneath, but it's a very poor film. It should be seen as a curio for megafans of the Coens or Raimi only. For some of the behind-the-scenes goings on (and for why it was such a godawful mess of a production), get a copy of Bruce Campbell's autobiography If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor.

The Coen Bros. movie that Raimi co-wrote, The Hudsucker Proxy, is great and underappreciated. Crimewave is but a misfire and a footnote.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

"It has a couple of moments here and there"? Sheeeit, I laughed my butt off all the way through, but then I don't consider myself too intellectual to enjoy a good slapstick comedy every now and then. I think maybe the most I ever laughed in a 3-hour period was one time back in the 70's when I woke up hungover with some friends on a Sunday morning and watched It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World on TV.

I don't really think I need Bruce Campbell to tell me what's funny and what's not, but I can see how reading his autobiography could dampen the movie for you. It's my understanding that he was supposed to get the lead role, so he's probably a little disgruntled about losing it to that other guy.

Originally Posted by Cracker
I don't really think I need Bruce Campbell to tell me what's funny and what's not...
Yeah, thanks, Genius. Bruce's book didn't clue me into the fact that it is a horrible and unfunny movie: I've watched it. A few times. I own it. I'm a Coen nut (and I loved Brion "Leon" James too), so I tracked it down after I saw Raising Arizona in 1987. It wasn't funny then, it isn't funny now. Every once in a while somebody will see it on my shelf and say, 'Oh, I've heard of that, let's watch it...' and they are always (ALWAYS) disappointed.

Campbell's very amusing book just clues you in to exactly why Crimewave all went so wrong. But you don't need to know the background to smell its stench.

But hey, to each their own.

Hehehe...I knew that if I posted in enough forums somebody would finally recognise me as a Genius.

I was wondering why the reputation points were so disproportionate to the number of posts of different individuals. Now I see that it's done on sort of a vote system. I've already got a minus 11, and I imagine it'll get way lower after enough people have read my post in the thread about Jews in the media.

What happens when I get to minus 1000? Does the one little square I have get smaller or disappear completely? Or do I just get kicked off the forum? I probably won't find out unless it happens really soon. I tend to get bored with petty people pretty quickly.

Hehehe...I knew that if I posted in enough forums somebody would finally recognise me as a Genius.

I was wondering why the reputation points were so disproportionate to the number of posts of different individuals. Now I see that it's done on sort of a vote system. I've already got a minus 11, and I imagine it'll get way lower after enough people have read my post in the thread about Jews in the media.

What happens when I get to minus 1000? Does the one little square I have get smaller or disappear completely? Or do I just get kicked off the forum? I probably won't find out unless it happens really soon. I tend to get bored with petty people pretty quickly.
DooD -
You'll have to learn to play your cards really well in order to get a rep lower than Django's or even my old one. More than likely you'll get the boot before you get much lower. Keep truckin'. Dang. Do what I does and be awesome and people will send you money in the mail.

I tend to get bored with petty people pretty quickly.

The door is on the right...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Pot, meet kettle.

Anyway, I thought your post in the other thread was good. I don't agree with it, but it was a good post....

As for the rep system, some people have high rep for fewer posts because they contribute more to the site as far as reviews and such are concerned, or they are just really nice and helpful to others. There is no voting system in place at all. Unless you count the MoFo awards which have nothing to do with rep points, directly.

[quote=Sedai]Pot, meet kettle.QUOTE]

You're right Sedai, if I was calling him petty for bashing me. After all, I bashed him right back, which would make me just as petty. But I wasn't talking about the bashing...I'm referring to the minus reputation points. That seems to me like a pretty chicken**** little way of lashing out at somebody you disagree with.

Does anyone here know what reputation points actually are? Well, I'll tell you one thing...You could have ten billion of them right in the palm of your hand and not even know it!!!

You're right Sedai, if I was calling him petty for bashing me. After all, I bashed him right back, which would make me just as petty. But I wasn't talking about the bashing...I'm referring to the minus reputation points. That seems to me like a pretty chicken**** little way of lashing out at somebody you disagree with.
Lashing out at someone over the internet is a pretty chicken sh*t little way of going about your day, too.
Does anyone here know what reputation points actually are? Well, I'll tell you one thing...You could have ten billion of them right in the palm of your hand and not even know it!!!
Reputation Points

Which means.... that something must have a physical form to mean something? Try this, pile a bunch of love, or anger in your hand, and tell me what it looks like. Sure the rep is nothing more than dots on a screen, but there is meaning behind the rep system.

The rep system here has a purpose, which is known to the people who take the time to find out what it used for. The system is is place to let other members know if the person in question has added anything to the site in a positive way, such as the aforementioned reviews or articles, or if they are a negative influence on the website and add little or nothing of value to the community as a whole. The system has been refined quite a bit by Yoda(the admin) and the mods, as well as some members, and seems to keep the undesirables off the boards. Hence you don't see a slew of members with nine red dots. That is pretty much it, and not many members care a whole hell of a lot what happens with the rep, but it's a nice feature that gives new members a chance to know who the trouble makers are. If a new member comes in swinging like it's a schoolyard fight, their rep begins to reflect it almost immediately, giving the vets a sign of what to expect. A flawed system in some respects, but clearly better than none, as websites without any sort of "weed-out" system seem to flounder with a member base full of name callers and spammers...

When I say positive influence, I don't mean you have to agree with everything people say, quite the contrary. I think if you can roll with the punches on this site from some of the more....direct members, you will find it a fun and informative website with a lot of cool people, hailing from all over the globe. I mean, you ride in on a super hot political issue, and should expect some flak for it, but just come back with a counter argument, and maybe a good debate will ensue.

Regardless, my name is Mike, and Welcome to MoFo. As stated earlier, you seem to be able to articulate yourself well, and have put some decent (and indecent, but I can deal) posts up, maybe you will like it here after you get the hang of the place....

Take it easy..