Newer Movies Made By Old Directors?

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Hmm, see, I couldn't imagine anyone other than Miller directing it. It had to be someone with years of experience.

I don't actually wear pants.
Clint Eastwood was born in 1930, and he directed Sully from last year, and American Sniper from 2014. I haven't seen Sully, but it looks great. American Sniper is awesome.

I think Mike Leigh made his worst movie (Mr. Turner) in 2014, but "Another Year" was very good (2010).
I think it's the only Mike Leigh film I've seen but Mr Turner is one of my all time favourite films. Beautifully tactile film with a narrative with plenty of breathing space. I get why people would find it overly slow but I really enjoyed it. Although on the way out of the cinema there were a couple grumbling about it being one of the worst films they've seen so I guess I'm not a majority opinion.

...Mr Turner is one of my all time favourite films. Beautifully tactile film with a narrative with plenty of breathing space...
Well said! Mr Turner was one of my favorites from 2014. It artistically delivers it's message in subtleties. It's not an 'in your face type' movie.

Sully was very disappointing IMO...but American Sniper was first class. Clint Eastwood is still one of my favorite directors who's currently working.
Sully wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but I enjoyed it. Terrific story in any case. Most Eastwood-directed movies I have not liked except for American Sniper. And that took me 2 tries before I enjoyed it.

This might just do nobody any good.
Sully reminds me of Denzel's Flight.

An okay movie revolving around a great plane landing scene.

Sully reminds me of Denzel's Flight.

An okay movie revolving around a great plane landing scene.
Flight was a yawn. Not sure if I finished it.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Well said! Mr Turner was one of my favorites from 2014. It artistically delivers it's message in subtleties. It's not an 'in your face type' movie.
If you loved that, you should definitely check out ALL his others

(Mr. Turner is my least favorite of his)

If you loved that, you should definitely check out ALL his others

(Mr. Turner is my least favorite of his)
I'm glad you mentioned that, I just now checked out his filmography and he's made a lot of movies that sound like the type I love, so I will be watching some of those. So far the only film of his I've seen is Mr. Turner

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm glad you mentioned that, I just now checked out his filmography and he's made a lot of movies that sound like the type I love, so I will be watching some of those. So far the only film of his I've seen is Mr. Turner
Some are on YouTube! One of my favs (Nuts in May - which is quirky, people will either love it or hate it)

-Another Year
-All or Nothing
-Meantime (not the best start, but gets much better)
-Vera Drake

I don't actually wear pants.
Sully was very disappointing IMO...but American Sniper was first class. Clint Eastwood is still one of my favorite directors who's currently working.
Shame. I know the story, and that Eastwood can direct tension pretty well, so I'm eager to see Sully. You can see Eastwood's penchant for suspense in American Sniper. Million Dollar Baby didn't do it for me, though, but I liked Unforgiven.

I wish Woody Allen would stop making movies. Sure, he gets a splendid cast (who is going to turn him down FGS), but I find his movies to be a horrible bore now. I don't even put them in my Netflix Q any longer.
I was just about to type the exact opposite. I enjoy even his "lesser" film. But when he hits the target, he's as good as he's ever been in my opinion. (Blue Jasmine)

Some directors do it very gracefully. Scorsese, in my opinion, has made some of his career best this decade. Spielberg is still consistent, if a bit too safe. I haven't watched a Malick film since To the Wonder, which I liked well enough, and it looks like he's still got it, even it it may seem like his films are better when they're released more sparingly to perfection. Eastwood? Well, he hasn't made a movie this decade that I've liked that I've watched, but some of his later films, like Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, and Gran Torino are some of my favorites of his.

But, yeah, there are directors who seem like they've lost their touch, for sure. I haven't watched Beatty's Rules Don't Apply yet, for example, but that looked like a snore.

Eastwood? Well, he hasn't made a movie this decade that I've liked that I've watched, but some of his later films, like Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, and Gran Torino are some of my favorites of his.
You didn't like American Sniper?

I was just about to type the exact opposite. I enjoy even his "lesser" film. But when he hits the target, he's as good as he's ever been in my opinion. (Blue Jasmine)
I believe that Woody is not done yet. he seems to have peaked in the mid seventies thought the eightees, but his more recent films (I'm speaking about the films he has been filming in Europe), seem to be putting him back on track of being a respectable film maker once again. I have to admit that many of the films he made between September and those made in Europe mentioned above. I believe Midnight in Paris, Cassandra's Dream, Match Point, and Cafe society were all good films.