Why The Academy Awards sucks.

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Around the time this thread was made I used Mr Minio online for the first time.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
It's just funny that you were already like 40 when you made this thread and then you bumped it well over a decade later.
I thought I am still an angry middle aged man. I did notice after I turned 44 I don't recover very well from working out.

The world produces 6,500 movies per year. Of which only 150 movies are made by Hollywood studios. So 99% of the Oscar prizes go to these 2% of the movies.

Anyway, prizes are stupid since they are esclusive and contingent on highly imperfect information and biased voters. In the case of the Oscars the voters are always the people employed by the Hollywood studios, these are overwhelmingly male, white, average age is 63. Still, it's true that pictures that win Best Picture are generally very good with some exceptions (Chicago was a weaker one but still pretty good movie) they reflect the tastes of this type of people.

Other forms of listing movies are better. For instance, on the IMDB the too 250 movies list is perhaps a much better list of movies than the best picture Oscars winners since it offers movies of many types and varieties that can suit many tastes and demopgrahics. Although it's true it has its own biases (the top 250 has US movies also overrespresented as well as newer movies) but it's biases feel way less strong and is a more democratic list of movies. For instance, never has a science fiction movie won the Oscar, why? Because the type of people who vote for the Oscar don't like this genre. Same for other "genre" movies. While the top 250 IMDB has many science fiction movies.

Anyway, I think that we should just stop paying attention for the Oscars instead of complaining about it. It's just a publicity stunt by a bunch of big movie studios.

Anyway, I think that we should just stop paying attention for the Oscars instead of complaining about it. It's just a publicity stunt by a bunch of big movie studios.
It's true, but I can't help myself. I'm a movie fanatic and there is the Best Picture Oscar Winners list. So I keep watching them and my reaction is usually, you got to be f!@king kidding me!

I must say that Best Documentary and Foreign Language film winners are solid.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'd say Oscars should not be treated seriously, but merely as a reality show event. It's not about quality, but about popularity.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
What a great post, so many great points... It's becoming less and less about movies. Even the "Best Picture" winners aren't very good... I think most movies have to be approved by the Democratic Party nowadays... So cliche, politically-correct, badly written, bad acting... announced by busy-bodies who pretend they wanna change the system, when they have no such interest, they just want more money, and figure that's what's trendy.

There's nothing liberal or liberating about Hollywood...

The Acadamy Awards are a marketing stunt by the Hollywood industry to promote their products and ideologies.

I do feel good when one of my favorite filmmakers is recognized during this event, though, as it means that particular artist will probably have less problems in the future to keep pursuing their vision. That's why I'm still a bit interested in who's nominated and who wins.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Make sure you DON'T listen to our annual Oscar podcast, Make Your Oscar Picks or drop into the Oscar Chatroom on March 4.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Make sure you DON'T listen to our annual Oscar podcast, Make Your Oscar Picks or drop into the Oscar Chatroom on March 4.
I expect a full coverage from you of the red carpet, Mark.

Welcome to the human race...
What a great post, so many great points... It's becoming less and less about movies. Even the "Best Picture" winners aren't very good... I think most movies have to be approved by the Democratic Party nowadays... So cliche, politically-correct, badly written, bad acting... announced by busy-bodies who pretend they wanna change the system, when they have no such interest, they just want more money, and figure that's what's trendy.

There's nothing liberal or liberating about Hollywood...
Yeah, we should go back to the good old days when Best Picture winners could be about how slaves were ultimately okay with living in the antebellum South or feature Oscar-winning brownface.

Lose Yourself is a great song. Eminem deserved his Oscar.
+1 for reading my rant down to the Eminem part.

Yeah, we should go back to the good old days when Best Picture winners could be about how slaves were ultimately okay with living in the antebellum South or feature Oscar-winning brownface.
Like whatever face hasn't occurred recently.

Yeah, Lawrence of Arabia sucks.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I expect a full coverage from you of the red carpet, Mark.
Fully expecting Mark to channel his inner Joan Rivers for this.

Like whatever face hasn't occurred recently.

Yeah, Lawrence of Arabia sucks.
Like it occurring recently means it's okay.
It's not okay. You brought it up like it doesn't occur now.

Welcome to the human race...
I brought it up because matt72582 (the person I was originally replying to) wanted to complain about Best Picture winners being Too Politically Correct These Days so I brought up examples of how the old ones aggressively weren't as a counterpoint.