recommend/do not recommend

Tools    

i thought i would put this forum to use, i want you to recommend some movies you think i should watch and some i should stay clear of
mine would be: spartan - recommend
the bourne supremacy - do not recommend
two movies of similar style but very different viewing experiences, one gets boring pretty fast, the other keeps you on your toes till the end

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
If you haven't seen them already, I would recommend;
1.City of God- Brazil's answer to Goodfellas, based on a true story.
2.King of New York-Abel Ferrara's tale of New York crime boss Frank White.
Great performance from Christopher Walken, strong ensemble cast
including Larry Fishburne, Wesley Snipes and David Caruso.
3.La Haine-French drama about a group of friends growing up in the projects of Paris.
4.The Brave-Johnny Depp's directorial debut, starring Marlon Brando. Fantastic effort
by first time director Depp, harrowing subject matter, and definetly not
a feel good movie.
5. Scratch-Documentary by Doug Pray on the birth and rise of Hip-hop. Even if you're not
a hip-hop junkie, this is still a great music doc.

So, I have tried to recommend films that are not too well known, give them a try and let me know what you thought. I make no excuses, I'm a film junkie and some of my choices are not always mainstream enough for my mates. However this being a film forum, I'm expecting a better class of film viewer.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
If you haven't seen them already, I would recommend;
1.City of God- Brazil's answer to Goodfellas, based on a true story.
2.King of New York-Abel Ferrara's tale of New York crime boss Frank White.
Great performance from Christopher Walken, strong ensemble cast
including Larry Fishburne, Wesley Snipes and David Caruso.
3.La Haine-French drama about a group of friends growing up in the projects of Paris.
4.The Brave-Johnny Depp's directorial debut, starring Marlon Brando. Fantastic effort
by first time director Depp, harrowing subject matter, and definetly not
a feel good movie.
5. Scratch-Documentary by Doug Pray on the birth and rise of Hip-hop. Even if you're not
a hip-hop junkie, this is still a great music doc.

So, I have tried to recommend films that are not too well known, give them a try and let me know what you thought. I make no excuses, I'm a film junkie and some of my choices are not always mainstream enough for my mates. However this being a film forum, I'm expecting a better class of film viewer.
well i saw the first one - city of god..fantastic and as far as the others go...i can tell you with a 100% certenty that my local videostore doesn't have them....i live in Croatia....they didn't even have american splendor....nuff said....

Originally Posted by adidasss
well i saw the first one - city of god..fantastic and as far as the others go...i can tell you with a 100% certenty that my local videostore doesn't have them....i live in Croatia....they didn't even have american splendor....nuff said....
Get your ass on Amazon, I often spend many happy hours getting cheap DVD's imported from the States!!!! You will need a multi-region player, but codes can be found on dvd365.com.
American Splendour is great, Paul Giamatti is perfect as Harvey Pekar, and it's good to see him get decent roles theese days, Sideways was ok too.

Get your ass on Amazon, I often spend many happy hours getting cheap DVD's imported from the States!!!! You will need a multi-region player, but codes can be found on dvd365.com.
American Splendour is great, Paul Giamatti is perfect as Harvey Pekar, and it's good to see him get decent roles theese days, Sideways was ok too.
dude, how much money do you think i have...i only buy dvd's of movies that i absolutley adore...not to just check them out...that would be insane!...and you thought sideways was just ok?....i haven't seen it yet.....recommend some others

Where's my Vodka Martini
TASK FORCE. Avoid this film at all cost. You have been warned. I was expecting an action film instead got some......Drama.

"There's only one airbag in this car......and it's on my side"

Originally Posted by adidasss
dude, how much money do you think i have...i only buy dvd's of movies that i absolutley adore...not to just check them out...that would be insane!...and you thought sideways was just ok?....i haven't seen it yet.....recommend some others
Basically Sideways is a drama based around the world of wine tasting. 2 men Paul Giamatti and Hayden Church set out on a weeks long Stag do, the plan is to go wine tasting in the Californian vieyards. Along the way they meet 2 chicks and complications arise. This was an o.k. movie, it was one of the few Oscar nominated movies I hadn't seen. It drags a little, and if like me your not that knowledgeable about wine, you'll wonder how they made this movie last 2 hours! This was the token offbeat Oscar filler for this year, yes all the cast give strong but unremarkeable performances, but it's not a film I have any great desire to see again.

I will watch most movies, because even bad movies might have an idea, camera angle or effect that I might use in the future, hence I spend a lot of my income on DVDs and trips to the cinema. I am a film junkie, use amazon to get the movies you want , they're normally cheaper.

Of the films I've recommended; if you liked City of God, I'm sure you'll like The King of New York, wait and see if anyone else recommends the same or comments on my list. Perhaps you could contact people with loads of threads to their names directly and ask their opinion, Lord Slaytan, Holden Pike, Tacitus, Samsonitedelilah, are all people who's threads and opinions I like.

Okay…I recommend:

…and I don’t recommend:

Lord Slaytan, Holden Pike, Tacitus, Samsonitedelilah, are all people who's threads and opinions I like.
Aww...shucks.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Okay…I recommend:
Definately. How would you rank this film as part of Von Trier's filmography Slay? To me, the film is his second best, Dogville is still my favorite of his work.
…and I don’t recommend:
I just bought the Herzog/Kinski box-set and this one's in there, though still I haven't seen it yet, but why may I ask did you dislike it?

RECOMMEND
  • A Perfect World (1993 - Eastwood)
  • The Sugarland Express (1974 - Spielberg)
  • After Hours (1985 - Scorsese)
  • Quick Change (1990 - Franklin & Murray)
  • Diner (1982 - Barry Levinson)
  • Parents (1989 - Bob Balaban)
  • The Butcher Boy (1997 - Neil Jordan)
  • The Americanization of Emily (1964 - Arthur Hiller)
  • Far from the Madding Crowd (1967 - Schlesinger)
  • Tess (1980 - Roman Polanski)
  • Pennies from Heaven (1981 - Herbert Ross)
  • Don't Look Now (1973 - Nic Roeg)
  • In A Lonely Place (195 - Nicholas Ray)

DO NOT RECOMMEND
  • A Life Less Ordinary (1997 - Danny Boyle)
  • Man Trouble (1992 - Bob Rafelson)
  • Dr. T & the Women (2000 - Bob Altman)
  • Toys (1992 - Barry Levinson)
  • Hollywood Ending (2002 - Woody Allen)
  • Basic Instinct (1992 - Paul Verhoeven)
  • Basic (2003 - John McTiernan)
  • Scarface (1983 - Brian DePalma)
  • Cutthroat Island (1995 - Renny Harlin)
  • Pirates (1986 - Roman Polanski)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
Definately. How would you rank this film as part of Von Trier's filmography Slay? To me, the film is his second best, Dogville is still my favorite of his work.
I have only seen one of the Europa trilogy; Forbrydelsens element (The Element of Crime). It looked cool and had a decent story, but the pacing was too slow, and it was a bit too overreaching for the budget. Dogville, I think is fantastic in all of its elements. Solid story telling, great acting, and originality for film that was refreshing. I’ve seen all of the Golden Heart trilogy; Breaking the Waves, Idioterne (The Idiots), and Dancer in the Dark. I didn’t really care much for Idioterne. Boy, if you like dogma, that’s the film for you…but I found it too out there. My tastes have changed a bit since then, so I may appreciate it more now. Who knows? Dancer in the Dark is a wonderful film and I just love it…even though it is so heartbreaking and equally frustrating. But Breaking the Waves is my baby. There is no other film I have ever seen that can cause such a tempest of emotion in me. It’s powerful, compelling, and raw…all the way through. It has one of my favorite actors (Stellan Skarsgård) and Emily Watson plays one of the best roles I’ve ever seen a woman perform. She is a true tour de force in this one. Yeah, Breaking the Waves is #1 for me.

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
I just bought the Herzog/Kinski box-set and this one's in there, though still I haven't seen it yet, but why may I ask did you dislike it?
Okay, I’m going to assume you’ve seen, at the very least, Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (Aguirre: The Wrath of God). In it, Herzog hired local natives to play the natives in the film. He did the same for Fitzcarraldo, but neither of these films uses any of the natives for key parts. They have a few lines, but other than that, they are just being themselves. In Cobra Verde, he gives them large speaking roles…and they suck…SO BAD. It’s friggin’ laughable, they’re so bad. The story is a good one, but the delivery from a bunch of novice’s, and the fact that even Klaus doesn’t seem to want to be there, and some extremely ridiculous dialogue, makes this one of my biggest let downs ever. I’m really not all that schooled on Herzog, I’ve only seen a few, but I have loved them all…until this one. Oh well. Thanks for the interest.

Recommend(just dramas or else the list will be too long)
  • Donnie Darko
  • Requiem for a Dream
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
  • American History X
  • The Aviator
  • Cinderella Man
Not Recommended(dramas or other)
  • Spun
  • Kids
  • Reefer Madness(I thought it would be funny since its so old but its just boring)
  • Kingdom of Heaven
  • Closer
  • Hitch
  • White Noise
  • War of the Worlds
If you like any of the movies that I've recommended, I would like to know what other kind of drama movies you would recommend.

Recommend

Dead Man (1995)
The Last of the Mohicans (1992)
Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002)
The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
In the Name of the Father (1993)
Some Mother's Son (1996)
The General (1927)
City Lights (1931)
Skins (2002)
Much Ado About Nothing (1993)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

A system of cells interlinked
Recommend

Blade Runner
Mulholland Drive
Chinatown
Miller's Crossing
Million Dollar Baby
Vertigo
Shallow Grave
Batman Begins
Raging Bull

Originally Posted by _fearandloathing_
Cinderella Man
Did you hear about AMC/Cinemark theaters giving their customers back their $$$ because of the lack of the film's box office grosses?

I mean come on now. I saw Cinderella Man and enjoyed it immensely. All their doing is losing money.

[x]
lol first post ever but thats besides the point

what was wrong with kids and spun

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time

So many good movies, so little time.
Last 10 really good movies I've seen or reseen

1. Laura (1944)
2. Double Indemnity (1944)
3. The Searchers (1956)
4. Pickup on South Street (1953)
5. The Conformist (1970)
6. Mountains of the Moon (1990)
7. Some Like it Hot (1959)
8. Malcolm X (1992)
9. It's a Gift (1934)
10. Jean de Florette (1986)

And some I wish I didn't see

1. Sahara (2005)
2. Meet the Fockers (2004)
3. Envy (2004)
4. Head of State (2003)
5. Without a paddle (2004)

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Here to support the villians.......
Recommend

L.A Confidential
Memento
The Usual Suspects
Leon
Million Dollar Baby
Reservoir dogs
Heat
Donnie Brasco

Do not recommend
Ocean's Twelve
Batman and Robin
The Avengers

-=fReAkIn dVd nUtZ=-
Wow some great stuff here...so much is to personal taste......

All I can say is that I wish I had the hours of my life I watched back are...

Open Water
Mr Hollands Opus

Bulls DVD Collection
Its a start....all I like is finishing!

I admit that I love crazy drugs movies because most of them are so different and thats what I like about them, but Spun just pushed it too far for me. It was so crazy and pointless that it just didnt amuse me. But im sure the person who came up with the movie had a meaning for it, It just didnt mean anything to me. And for kids, that movie was sooo unbelievably pointless. It's like they were trying to make a movie and a documentary in one. but left out the storyline for a movie, and left out the real life part that would be in a documentary. And what are you left with? A reenactment of what was probably a teenage home video. Wow... teenagers obsessed with sex, drinking and drugs... someone call the local priest! Ok, I really shouldn't get started with that movie, I just have too many reasons why its terrible. Im sorry if you love this movie, please forgive me
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case ofbeer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.