Body Building/Body Sculpting!

Tools    

Hey guys, maybe y'all could give me some basic tips on getting into shape and eating healthy. I'm very skinny. I'm 5'10" and 130lbs. I have taken some Taekwondo classes and I want to go back. I like martial arts and I want to be able to defend myself if some jerk tries to rob me or intimidate me or hurt someone I care about. I exercise off and on. I'm pretty lazy and undisciplined about it, but lately I have been thinking a lot about that. I don't want to waste time because life is too short. So how should I structure an exercise schedule, and what should I do to keep tabs on myself? I don't eat enough. Eating only one meal in a day is not unusual for me, and that's a big part of why I'm so skinny. So do you have tips on a meal plan or something like that? I'm somewhat health conscious. I always try to eat as close to nature as possible, and stay away from artificial color/flavor, and things like margarine, and all that fake health food crap like fat free mayonnaise.

So yeah... basically just an exercise schedule, a meal plan, and any useful tips.
I would say basically your potential meal plan would just be to "plan your meals". And no I'm not trying to joke here, though it could sound like it, but if you learn to prepare your meals properly you won't skip them like you do now. Right now I'm getting over some health problems, but it's not more than a month ago that I was running a strict program that needed a huge calorie intake. And I found out that those times where I skipped meals the most, was where I didn't plan for them and I just didn't feel like preparing them or go shopping for them or whatever. So yeah, like take a salat for example. If you prepare a huge bowl of that (with everything from tomatoes, avocados or whatever you like) and then put that in the fridge, it will be a lot easier to just open the fridge, put it on a plate and eat it as a little snack/lunch throughout the day.

In terms of healthy foods and such, try to follow a basic calorie plan. You don't have to do it strictly, that will just make it feel like a pain in the ass at first, but try to think about "okay, I need so and so proteins and so so carbohydrates" etc. If you just remember to eat varied and think about how much of each thing is in the meals you eat, you should be fine. When eating varied you will most likely fill up you calorie intake to a satisfactory level without you even knowing it.

In relation to exercise, what do you like to do? Running, walking, cycling...? Whatever it might be, remember it doesn't have to be long exercises. If you take a run and keep a nice tempo, 30 minutes will be great. Same with walking, take a good walk with a proper tempo and 30-45 minutes is totally good. The most important thing is that you exercise, whatever it might be. You can find plenty of advice on the internet and find the workouts you like the best. When you have been exercising for a while, you can begin to find more compact workouts and maybe some that demands more of you, but by then you will have a routine and it won't be as hard as it would have been if you had to jump in and basically kill yourself everyday. You would tire up too easily.

As you can see it's a lot about starting out easy and not too strict. If you are too strict about it all in the beginning you will lose your head. Just remember the basics, 3 meals a day maybe a snack or two in between and some kind of exercise whichever suits you and if it is the same type of exercise or you change it up doesn't matter. Just think "I need to move around for 30 minutes" and that's it.

Great advice MM. I'm no expert but I'm glad to see Zotis that you're keen on eating as close to natural things as you can. I think MM is right about planning meals and eating three proper meals a day being key to building yourself up. Don't be scared of eating fats too, balance is the thing. A handful of almonds or brazil nuts is a great snack .

My news is that my gym antics have been put on hold for at least 6 weeks as I've fractured my fibula and have my leg in plaster. Slipped over in the garden, like an idiot

When I exercise I usually start with stretches, then go for a jog, and then practice my Taekwondo (which is just very basic kata and kicks). I do a lot of leg stretches for Taekwondo. In total it's 30-45 mins.

Oh I forgot, Destiny, these are the machines I've been using at the gym - opening with the running Machine (or fast walking in my case!) , then 3 lots of 15-20 reps on all of these -
Seated row
Leg curl
Leg extension
Pull down
Shoulder press
Rear delt/pec fly
And ending with half hour rolling hills on the bike.

Zotis, could you tell me a bit more about your goal? You see, your story reminds me of my school years. I started out a very skinny person, but I was in private schools, and there was no misbehaving, whatsoever. Some truly bad things happened in my life, and the next thing I knew, I was grown up at the age of eleveen, moving two states away, the next year, and tossed into a very populated public school. Wow, what a bunch of idiots. They were mean idiots, though. I started there in eighth grade, and it wasn't until sometime in highschool when I hit 100 lbs. I was ready to throw myself a party. So, I was tiny, but I had my father's attitude. Uh oh! I've always had a very mean streak in me, but I keep it aimed at mean/bad people. I couldn't handle how racist some of the people were, as well as those who picked on the weak. Because of this, by the ending of my sophomore year, I knew I had to bulk the hell up. The thing was, I did eat regular. I just didn't gain weight. So, because of that, I started eating breakfast, with snacks all the way through until lunch. I would then buy two lunches. I'd then continue on with snacks until dinner. I then ate two to three of those, with a box of little Debbie's for my dessert. I ate like that for months, but I knew if I didn't work out, it would all be fat. Make very sure that no matter how you eat, turn it into muscle. By my junior year, not only did no one mess with me, but I stopped a lot of bullying. I also had one parent swearing they were going to have me arrested. That jerk was dumb enough to call my mother, and upset her. Bad idea! His daughter ended up going to another high school for her senior year. Good idea!

That's great about the classes you're taking. I aim to have my daughter, and hopefully my son, take some courses. I've taught my daughter the basics, like boxing, and self defense, but I would love it if you knew a lot more. This world is so messed up.

So, back to bulking up. Are you wanting this to happen gracefully, or are you wanting this to be a more so sudden change? As in the sooner the better. I have a chart on the healthiest meals, as far as protein goes. Fish is number one, with skinless, boneless chicken breast being next on the list. Adding a lot of protein is very helpful, but if you do not exercise, it will turn to fat. Be very careful there. I think that the food chart is on the first page of this thread, or close to it. We have already listed a bunch of healthy foods, helpful exercises, and such. It's sort of splattered throughout the thread, though.

Great advice MM. I'm no expert but I'm glad to see Zotis that you're keen on eating as close to natural things as you can. I think MM is right about planning meals and eating three proper meals a day being key to building yourself up. Don't be scared of eating fats too, balance is the thing. A handful of almonds or brazil nuts is a great snack .

My news is that my gym antics have been put on hold for at least 6 weeks as I've fractured my fibula and have my leg in plaster. Slipped over in the garden, like an idiot
Oh my! That makes two of you, now. I hope you are doing better, and not in a lot of pain. May I ask, do you have brittle bones? I am close to having Osteoporosis. I was only one number away on the chart, when they did the first bone scan. I was like three numbers away, way later, when they ran the next scan. I'm doing pretty good fighting this. I truly need to, because I have pretty much everything my mother ever had. She had severe problems from Osteoporosis. The thing is, if you go through the change of life early, like the both of us did, your chances are very high at getting Osteoporosis. I can't take Vitamins, because no matter what, they make me sick. I use foods and drinks. They now add 50% Calcium in a lot of yogurts, so I need to eat two cups a day, plus Vitamin D. We all need Vitamin D to make the other Vitamins do their thing.

Well, I'm done rambling again. I sure hope you are OK, dear.

When I exercise I usually start with stretches, then go for a jog, and then practice my Taekwondo (which is just very basic kata and kicks). I do a lot of leg stretches for Taekwondo. In total it's 30-45 mins.
That's a very good amount of time. Way to go on the stretching, too. A lot of people forget to do that, don't want to, or just don't do enough. It's very important.

Oh I forgot, Destiny, these are the machines I've been using at the gym - opening with the running Machine (or fast walking in my case!) , then 3 lots of 15-20 reps on all of these -
Seated row
Leg curl
Leg extension
Pull down
Shoulder press
Rear delt/pec fly
And ending with half hour rolling hills on the bike.
Wow, woman! Way to go! That's a great amount. It makes me want to add a, "You go girl!".

I liked the," or fast walking in my case" I know exactly how you feel.

My goal is more of a general one. I just don't want to be weak, unhealthy, and defenseless. I had a co-worker some years ago who told a guy off for harrassing a lady over a parking space, and the guy put my co-worker in the hospital. I just want to be able to stand up to people like that. I can be pretty lazy, so I also want to just be healthier in how I go about my day as a responsible mature adult. Martial arts have always interested me, but my parents couldn't afford to put me in them when I was younger. Last year I bought a membership at a really good school. The master was one of the original founding masters of International Taekwondo, the one that uses your fists too, not that silly olympic stuff. He's like 75 years old, and a really kind and intelligent man. I don't have time, nor the drive, to be devoted to it, but I intend to go to one class a week. Bulking up and getting some muscle is also something I'd rather do gradually.

Hey guys, maybe y'all could give me some basic tips on getting into shape and eating healthy. I'm very skinny. I'm 5'10" and 130lbs.
Whoa that's skinny. I am the same height and I am 170lbs. Your parents are also very skinny?

I don't eat enough. Eating only one meal in a day is not unusual for me, and that's a big part of why I'm so skinny. So do you have tips on a meal plan or something like that? I'm somewhat health conscious. I always try to eat as close to nature as possible, and stay away from artificial color/flavor, and things like margarine, and all that fake health food crap like fat free mayonnaise.
I eat a lot of rice and beams which is a traditional Brazilian dish:

And a lot of pasta, chicken and beef as well. I guess your body works with a lower metabolic rate for you to be able to eat only once a day, I eat like 4 times a day.

So I guess if you eat several times a day you will gain weight. I guess running frequently and going to the gym once a week and lifting weights would be nice.

Oh my! That makes two of you, now. I hope you are doing better, and not in a lot of pain. May I ask, do you have brittle bones? I am close to having Osteoporosis. I was only one number away on the chart, when they did the first bone scan. I was like three numbers away, way later, when they ran the next scan. I'm doing pretty good fighting this. I truly need to, because I have pretty much everything my mother ever had. She had severe problems from Osteoporosis. The thing is, if you go through the change of life early, like the both of us did, your chances are very high at getting Osteoporosis. I can't take Vitamins, because no matter what, they make me sick. I use foods and drinks. They now add 50% Calcium in a lot of yogurts, so I need to eat two cups a day, plus Vitamin D. We all need Vitamin D to make the other Vitamins do their thing.

Well, I'm done rambling again. I sure hope you are OK dear.
I don't think I have brittle bones. I've never broken anything before when I've fallen, and this time I actually did go flying so I'm not surprised it's broken. I believe tho when you've broken a bone and you're over 50 the good ol' NHS sends you to have a bone density scan, so I'll hear about that at my appointment next week I guess.
You're doing very well at combatting osteoporosis. I'm always impressed by your commitment to your health Destiny, keep up the fight! And thanks as always for your encouragement

Unregistered User
OK, but don't go doing this. I'm insane! You know that Salicylic Acid they make for the removal of calluses. You drop it on the hard/rough areas of your skin, and because it is so hard, it simply helps you peel them off. Well, because this was soft skin, it did burn a lot. As a matter of fact, it literally burned it, and then I took the burned skin, and peeled it off. I then squeezed it. Yes, yuk! It actually surprised me a bit. The doctor had told me that it would look like wet sand. Well, it didn't. It was like a blood clot, and it sprayed blood all over my hands, shirt, etc . . . There was also a big blob that looked like an old blood clot. Am I making you sick yet!?! Anyway, after all that, there is still a very small spot there. I'm just going to hold ice to it, and slit the stupid thing. Olive oil will get rid of the scar, once I am done.

So, what's up with your problem, dear? I sure hope everything is OK.
Nice and graphic Destiny, wouldnt expect anything else from you!!
I should hopefully find out today whats up so will let you know.
What you been up to? Skullcrushin??

Incline bicep curls, or cross body hammer curls, they are my flavour of the month.

All ok for doc. Dunno what it is but mustn't be too serious. Good news.
That is great news. Very good! So, want me to remove it!?!

Thanks Christine, how's the leg?
Good question, Christine. How's the leg doing? Want me to . . . Nevermind.

Oh no Destiny! leave it!
it just feels a bit achey, and I can feel it's still swollen. I'm knackered after coming home from work tho, it takes some strength to operate these crutches and be non weightbearing on one foot. I can feel my stomach muscles working and those muscles at the front of your shoulder (don't know what they're called) are really sore. I'll never take going up and down steps and stairs for granted again!

Unregistered User
errr I think i'll pass on that Destiny but thanks anyway (i think). What you been up to ? Anything else apart from the swimming?

Christine how long are you on crutches for? Maybe Tom Celeverly could use them after you?

I'm not sure yet SL, I'll know more tomorrow when I go to hospital appointment. Not too long I hope, I've got a very busy October with lots of family stuff happening. I need to be able to rush around!
I wish I had access to all Cleverly's physio and treatments, I bet I'd be running around in no time

I also have some pain in my joints. I play video games competitively so I use my hands a lot and sometimes I get pain in my knuckles after 20-40 minutes of intense practice. I wonder if nutrition is a factor in joint pain? It's not a lot of pain, just a small amount, but it's something that has been kind of gradual over the last few years and I'm starting to notice it more lately. I figure playing video games competitively will eventually give me arthritis, and that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make, but if there's something I can do to increase the health of my joints I would want to look into it. It's something I've been thinking about for a while, but I haven't done any research on the topic yet. So I just thought I would mention it here and see if anyone has anything to say about it.

I'm a complete and utter spinneless whimp! But strong women turn me on. Especially if they're beautiful.

My fav gymnasts:

Vera Caslavska
Olga Korbut
Croatia's Tina erceg
Lorena Coza

Miss fitness:

Alexandra Beres
Cynthia Bridges
Claudia Muhlhaus
Tina Rigdon
Wendy Lindquist

and Denise Masino, a body builder.

I don't know if I should post pics, though. There's a lot of skin and muscle.