MoFo Members' Tops of 2013 Lists

Tools    

OK, compile your personal best of the year lists here.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cap Phil.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	12411   Click image for larger version

Name:	David Cat pic.jpg
Views:	4288
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	12412  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
1. Gravity
2. Man of Steel
3. Captain Phillips
4. Thor 2
5. Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
6. The Croods
7. Hangover Part 3
8. Frozen
9. The Great Gatsby
10. The Way Way Back
11. Now You See Me

Well, from what I have watched I think that I need to watch a lot more before compiling a top 10, however I can already say that Gravity, 12 Years a Slave and The Garden of Words will be in my top 10 for 2013.

1. Gravity
2. Man of Steel
3. Captain Phillips
4. Thor 2
5. Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
6. The Croods
7. Hangover Part 3
8. Frozen
9. The Great Gatsby
10. The Way Way Back
11. Now You See Me
I guess this would be your list of 2013 movies you have watched as of now from best to worst?

At this moment in time:

----------------------------------------------
1. Gravity
2. The Great Beauty
3. Escape from Tomorrow
4. Side Effects
5. Before Midnight
6. The World’s End
7. The Spectacular Now
8. The Way Way Back
9. The Counselor
10. The Great Gatsby
----------------------------------------------

Still have to see a whole bunch of seemingly great 2013 movies from some of my favorite directors that haven't come out here yet, though, so this list will probably change a lot during the next two or three months.

I will keep you updated!

Had to update my list after I saw Frozen. Saw it twice in the theater, same with Wolf of Wall Street.

Okay, I also saw the new Hobbit movie twice in theaters, but I saw that cuz my care was in the shop getting new shocks and tire alignment. A movie theater is right next door to the shop, and I figured a three hour movie would be a good idea to pass time. So that was more out of a time waster and not because I really wanted to see it again.

1. The Wolf of Wall Street
2. Frozen
3. Prisoners
4. Gravity
5. Thor 2: The Dark World
6. The Hobbit 2: The Desolation of Smaug
7. Escape Plan
8. Don Jon
9. Pacific Rim
10. Iron Man 3

Mine, so far (always more movies to see than time to see them)...

BEST FILMS OF 2013

1. American Hustle
2. Gravity
3. Her
4. The Wolf of Wall Street
5. Mud
6. Inside Llewyn Davis
7. To the Wonder
8. 12 Years a Slave
9. Frances Ha
10. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Have also seen, to this point, Fruitvale Station, The Place Beyond the Pines, Blue Jasmine, In A World, Enough Said, The Dallas Buyers Club, Nebraska, Frozen, Prisoners, This Is the End, The World's End, The Way Way Back, Lovelace, Only God Forgives, Iron Man 3, Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Despicable Me 2, Monsters University, Star Trek Into Darkness, Man of Steel, Thor: The Dark World, World War Z, Blackfish, We're the Millers, The Hangover Part III, Oblivion, 2 Guns, Room 237, Warm Bodies, A Good Day to Die Hard, Red 2, Last Vegas, The East, Gangster Squad, The Family, Side Effects, Don Jon, Philomena, About Time, The Spectacular Now, The To-Do List, Girl Most Likely, The English Teacher, The Kings of Summer, Out of the Furnace, The Company You Keep, 20 Feet from Stardom, Much Ado About Nothing, and Escape from Tomorrow.

Think that's everything.

Some that I missed last year but am excited to catch up with include Upstream Color, I'm So Excited, Act of Killing, Blue is the Warmest Color, Drinking Buddies, A.C.O.D., All is Lost, Spring Breakers, Before Midnight, The Bling Ring, Stoker, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, and Short Term 12.

I'll come back later and do actors and actresses and directors and whatnot. Just wanted to get the ball rolling.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	American hustle.jpg
Views:	1193
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	12372  

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Mine, so far (always more movies to see than time to see them)...

BEST FILMS OF 2013

1. American Hustle
2. Gravity
3. Her
4. The Wolf of Wall Street
5. Inside Llewyn Davis
6. To the Wonder
7. 12 Years a Slave
8. Mud
9. Frances Ha
10. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Have also seen, to this point, Fruitvale Station, The Place Beyond the Pines, Blue Jasmine, In A World, Enough Said, The Dallas Buyers Club, Nebraska, Frozen, Prisoners, This Is the End, The World's End, The Way Way Back, Lovelace, Only Godd Forgives, Iron Man 3, Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, The Hunger Gams: Catching Fire, Despicable Me 2, Monsters University, Star Trek Into Darkness, Man of Steel, Thor: The Dark World, World War Z, Blackfish, We're the Millers, The Hangover Part III, Oblivion, 2 Guns, Room 237, Warm Bodies, A Good Day to Die Hard, Red 2, Last Vegas, The East, Gangster Squad, The Family, Side Effects, Don Jon, Philomena, About Time, The Spectacular Now, The To-Do List, Girl Most Likely, The English Teacher, The Kings of Summer, Out of the Furnace, The Company You Keep, 20 Feet from Stardom, Much Ado About Nothing, and Escape from Tomorrow.

Think that's everything.

Some that I missed last year but am excited to catch up with include Upstream Color, I'm So Excited, Act of Killing, Blue is the Warmest Color, Drinking Buddies, A.C.O.D., All is Lost, Spring Breakers, Before Midnight, The Bling Ring, Stoker, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, and Short Term 12.

I'll come back later and do actors and actresses and directors and whatnot. Just wanted to get the ball rolling.
AKA you have seen about everything

Sexy's Top 10 of 2013 (if he has 10 movies):
  1. Dallas Buyers Club
  2. The Place Beyond The Pines
  3. This Is The End
  4. Prisoners
  5. Behind the Candelabra
  6. Bullet to the Head
  7. The Great Gatsby
  8. Curse of Chucky
  9. Sharknado
  10. Texas Chainsaw
I think that's all I've seen that I could reasonably put on the list.

Two Bad Movies of 2013:
  1. A Good Day to Die Hard
  2. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa
And a bunch of stuff I still either need to see or need to feel interested in seeing, if it happens. All depends on Great Spirit's wishes for me.

I didn't count Frances Ha as a 2013 film, because I'm going by the IMDb standards. It would be 7th on my list if I did count it (it's fifth on my 2012 list).

Use whatever criteria you see fit, but the IMDb is a tool, not the gospel. It premiered at the Telluride, Toronto, and New York Film Festivals at the end of 2012, but it was released in cinemas and for Academy Awards qualification in 2013.

HERE are the 289 films eligible for the Academy Awards that played in 2013.

Those MoFos who live elsewhere around the globe, other than the United States, may not have access to many of these films for months, yet.

Use whatever criteria you want. But Frances Ha is a 2013 film except for the six or seven hundred people and critics who saw it at those festivals in 2012, no matter what the IMDb has it listed as.

I agree. It's just that I use it as a catalogue for keeping track of the films that I saw. I simply categorize everything by the standards of that site. That's why I have it on my 2012 list.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
1. Gravity
2. Prisoners
3. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
4. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
5. Star Trek: Into Darkness
6. The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
7. Now You See Me
8. Thor 2: Dark World
9. The Great Gatsby
10. The Conjuring
World War Z
Man of Steel
The Wolverine
Warm Bodies
Evil Dead
Iron Man 3
We're The Millers
Pacific Rim
Monster's University
Ender's Game
Carrie
Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox
The Lone Ranger
Fast and the Furious 6
Curse of Chucky
The Purge
Side-Effects
White House Down
R.I.P.D
Getaway
Insidious: Chapter 2
The Mortal Instruments

Oh, Curse of Chucky -- I saw that one. I have eight, then.

Oh, wait, I have nine -- Behind the Candelabra.

God, if only I could think of a 10th movie.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Gravity was the only film that met or exceeded expectations.

Star Trek was decent.

Everyone else ranged from meh to major disappointment as far as big movies went.

Really enjoyed the UK documentary "Class of 92" that I watched yesterday.

Of course there's loads I haven't seen.