Princess Catherine

Tools    

It’s been revealed that Princess Catherine has cancer. Terrible shock to me & everyone else.

https://apple.news/AQZDgpuglQLuxImi4cUzKrg

Sad news and very private. Hopefully sounds like it has been caught early like with King Charles.

Hope all the horrible people who were coming out with stupid conspiracy theories and moaning about an edited 'personal' photo are hanging their heads in shame.

Just let her recover in private now.

Sad news, I hope the press give her a bit of peace now.
That would be nice, but, realistically, this is major news now especially for the British tabloids.

When I saw the first headline I thought it was a sick joke. Sadly, it wasn’t.

Kate and William seem like nice people, and it's horrible that she has to deal with cancer so young, especially when her father-in-law is going through his own cancer battle at the same time. I do hope she recovers soon. But, why do people care so much about the British royal family? They have little to no power or influence that they exercise on policy or the lives of individuals, either in Britain, or worldwide, and certainly not in the United States, so what is the reason that many focus so much on their lives? I genuinely don't understand this.

But, why do people care so much about the British royal family? They have little to no power or influence that they exercise on policy or the lives of individuals, either in Britain, or worldwide, and certainly not in the United States, so what is the reason that many focus so much on their lives? I genuinely don't understand this.
Neither do I.

Apparently, they are the 'Prince and Princess' of my country. Yet they barely ever set foot here. They weren't born here. They don't live here. They do nothing for my country. They just suck it dry and their land (which their family stole by pillaging and murdering) now brings them in millions. Whilst the people in it, suffer the highest rate of child poverty since records began.

I would abolish the Royal Family in a heartbeat. They are everything that is wrong with modern Britain.

I wish her and anyone suffering illness the best of recovery though obviously.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Hope all the horrible people who were coming out with stupid conspiracy theories and moaning about an edited 'personal' photo are hanging their heads in shame.

Just let her recover in private now.

Exactly this.

But, why do people care so much about the British royal family?
Exactly.

There are probably hundreds of thousands suffering from some kind of cancer. And unlike a "royal", many of them may not be able to afford appropriate treatment.

So why not have some thoughts for them, as well?

We need to become a society that cares more for the weakest and most destitute than we do for "celebrities" who have everything.

My post wasn't intended to criticize or denigrate the royal family, but rather to explore what the drivers are that cause so many, in Britain, in the United States, and worldwide, to care so much about them and focus so much on them, despite them having little to no practical influence or power over the policy decisions that impact them.

You ready? You look ready.
Explains a lot about the last few months. Leave it to KP to bungle the PR during all that time. We already know she’s going to get the best of care, so one can only hope it’s routine cancer.

We need to become a society that cares more for the weakest and most destitute than we do for "celebrities" who have everything.
Celebrity or not, both go through horrible diseases... just because someone has everything doesn't mean you can't feel for them and so on, and certainly doesn't mean people don't care or don't think about others also...

It's not nice but it can be helpful when a 'celebrity' goes through such a thing, it's shown that when people see someone like Princess Catherine going through cancer the amount of people getting earlier cancer checkups increases.

Oh, I don't know. It's understandable why we who live in countries that don't have royal families question their existence. And as a practical matter it's true that the Brit Royal Family have no actual legal purpose.

On the other hand the British Isles are steeped in history, and there has been a strong sense of tradition over the centuries. I think the lion's share of British citizens support the retention of royalty.

Their presence is important in several ways. They are an icon for Brit civility and honor, even if the average citizen only pays them lip service, and even though there have been some wrinkles in the last generation or so.

They are approved and long-established celebrities which the population generally admires and expects. In other words they have long become a permanent part of the British mind, spirit, and character.

I haven't looked at the numbers, but whatever the cost is to the Brit taxpayer I'm sure it's a tiny part of public expenditure.

Let's face it: in the U.S. there are a number of celebrities who have done absolutely nothing of substance except to somehow become famous. Are they worth the inordinate amount of attention they get? Evidently so.

In our society, the people who need the most help often don't get it, while those who can afford the best healthcare and the best of everything (to the point of excess) receive the most "thoughts and prayers" simply due to the state of being a celebrity.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone with cancer, especially those struggling to get by.

I haven't looked at the numbers, but whatever the cost is to the Brit taxpayer I'm sure it's a tiny part of public expenditure.
We have record levels of child poverty here in the UK.

Yet this incredibly wealthy family last year, charged the taxpayer £110,000,000 to put a silly hat on an old man's head.

They are parasites.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
This thread will be closed in 3... 2... 1...
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I think this is really not the time to be speaking ill of the royal family. They are going through some significant health challenges, and while cancer is a common condition which a lot of people suffer from, that doesn't necessarily dissipate the uncertainty and the pain they are going through now, with two family members suffering from cancer at the same time. Even though they do have access to the best treatments due to their royal status that many others, especially here in the United States, are unable to afford, and that matters, I think for me this reinforces that regardless of how much money you may have, health is often the great equalizer. The royal family is now afflicted with cancer and all their money and status could not change that, so for me this is ideally a unifying, rather than divisive, turn of events.

They are going through some significant health challenges, and while cancer is a common condition which a lot of people suffer from, that doesn't necessarily dissipate the uncertainty and the pain they are going through now, with two family members suffering from cancer at the same time.
Nobody has said otherwise as far as I'm aware.

I think the lion's share of British citizens support the retention of royalty.
You're definitely wrong in thinking that. According to the most recent polls, support for the monarchy is at a historic low - 45% of Britons think either that the monarchy should be abolished, is not very important, or not at all important.

Kate and William seem like nice people, and it's horrible that she has to deal with cancer so young, especially when her father-in-law is going through his own cancer battle at the same time. I do hope she recovers soon. But, why do people care so much about the British royal family? They have little to no power or influence that they exercise on policy or the lives of individuals, either in Britain, or worldwide, and certainly not in the United States, so what is the reason that many focus so much on their lives? I genuinely don't understand this.
Some things are unexplainable such as the love & adoration for Donald Trump here in America. I can’t figure that out at all.

Exactly.

There are probably hundreds of thousands suffering from some kind of cancer. And unlike a "royal", many of them may not be able to afford appropriate treatment.

So why not have some thoughts for them, as well?

Catherine specifically mentioned all cancer sufferers at the end of her video & reassured them they are not alone. Her having cancer is going to bring immense pressure on the need for annual breast exams, cervical tests, etc. and can only be a good thing.

My post wasn't intended to criticize or denigrate the royal family, but rather to explore what the drivers are that cause so many, in Britain, in the United States, and worldwide, to care so much about them and focus so much on them, despite them having little to no practical influence or power over the policy decisions that impact them.
See Donald Trump post above.

Explains a lot about the last few months. Leave it to KP to bungle the PR during all that time. We already know she’s going to get the best of care, so one can only hope it’s routine cancer.
Not sure what “routine cancer” is & I doubt it’s what Catherine has.

I just wish her doctors hadn’t jumped the gun & said there was no cancer & then they find cancer. Idiots.

Oh, I don't know. It's understandable why we who live in countries that don't have royal families question their existence. And as a practical matter it's true that the Brit Royal Family have no actual legal purpose.

On the other hand the British Isles are steeped in history, and there has been a strong sense of tradition over the centuries. I think the lion's share of British citizens support the retention of royalty.

Their presence is important in several ways. They are an icon for Brit civility and honor, even if the average citizen only pays them lip service, and even though there have been some wrinkles in the last generation or so.

They are approved and long-established celebrities which the population generally admires and expects. In other words they have long become a permanent part of the British mind, spirit, and character.

Let's face it: in the U.S. there are a number of celebrities who have done absolutely nothing of substance except to somehow become famous. Are they worth the inordinate amount of attention they get? Evidently so.
The royal family costs about a dollar per person per year.