Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Stargate
(1994)
3.75/5

A guilty pleasure movie and the only movie I can stand James Spader in.

Notebook on Clothes and Cities (1989) by Wim Wenders

La Ronde (1950) by Max Ophüls
+

Gloria Bell (2018) by Sebastián Lelio

The Big Sleep (1946) by Howard Hawks

The Last Temptation of Christ (1988) by Martin Scorsese
+

Short films:

This Side of Paradise (1999) by Jonas Mekas
+

Machorka-Muff (1963) by Daničle Huillet and Jean-Marie Straub

Welcome to the human race...
The Man Who Killed Don Quixote -

Terry Gilliam's The House That Jack Built

Prometheus (2012) multiple rewatch

Hopefully someday this will get the recognition it deserves...

+
What did you think of Covenant?

The Endless (2017, Justin Benson, Aaron Moorhead)

This left me in conflicting feelings when the final credits rolled. On one hand, the premise was very interesting (existential mystery sci-fi type films are just generally my thing), and it started off quite nicely with a compelling mystery that really got under my skin. On the other, as is often the case with mystery flicks, the further the story unraveled, the more the mystery lost its creepy edge - as a result, the ending was disappointing, in part because I hoped it would go somewhere more profound. There were some really well done, creepy scenes, but there were also others that didn't work nearly as well. Still, while certainly a hit and miss viewing experience, I thought the pros outweighed the cons in this case. Some reviewers have said it was difficult to watch - I personally didn't feel that way. I also liked that the "loop" concept in the film played out in a way that could be interpreted both on the literal and metaphorical level - that definitely added another dimension to the story, although I have to admit the metaphorical aspect was laid out a bit too bluntly for my taste.

Overall, a thumbs up.

Wasn't sure if I had seen this version so I gave it a go and yep, I had seen it. It's the original I haven't seen. Not a bad movie but it kind of gets slow in the middle.

Trying to catch up on some of the Horror countdown I haven't seen and this is one of the "classics" that I never bothered with. I liked it a lot. It's creepy with good performances the only problem was that I knew most of the big stuff (twists, certain scenes) because it's a fairly popular 40 year old horror movie that has been referenced hundreds of times.

Not as good as many of the other Epics of the era. The way these films look has always been eye candy for me and this is no different. Looks great but some of the acting is a bit too wooden. Also, I'm not sure if I liked Yul Brynner as Pharaoh. Yul is great but every time he said "My Fadda (father)" I had a bit of a chuckle. Anne Baxter was good and looked fantastic. Charlton was Charlton, the John Wayne of biblical films.

Wasn't sure if I had seen this version so I gave it a go and yep, I had seen it. It's the original I haven't seen. Not a bad movie but it kind of gets slow in the middle.

Trying to catch up on some of the Horror countdown I haven't seen and this is one of the "classics" that I never bothered with. I liked it a lot. It's creepy with good performances the only problem was that I knew most of the big stuff (twists, certain scenes) because it's a fairly popular 40 year old horror movie that has been referenced hundreds of times.

Not as good as many of the other Epics of the era. The way these films look has always been eye candy for me and this is no different. Looks great but some of the acting is a bit too wooden. Also, I'm not sure if I liked Yul Brynner as Pharaoh. Yul is great but every time he said "My Fadda (father)" I had a bit of a chuckle. Anne Baxter was good and looked fantastic. Charlton was Charlton, the John Wayne of biblical films.
Yul Brenner was incredible in that movie. But his best tole was probably in The King and I.

More like a play than a movie, but enjoyable. Sterling cast.

Never seen the original. Watched it one time & had to read quite a bit to find out what the heck was going on. Sat down & watched it again. Dakota Johnson (who I did not recognize) is new to me as an actor. Thought she was very good. Tilda Swinton amazing in her 3 roles, 2 of which I did not know were her. Mia Goth I already like & it was good to see many older actresses who aren’t seen often these days (Angela Winkler, e.g.).

Didn’t understand about a 1/4 of the movie, but I enjoyed it.

Re-watched over the weekend:

Suzanne Stone Maretto was # 1 on my list of sexiest female characters...this one holds up thanks to Van Sant's imaginative direction, Buck Henry's razor sharp screenplay and the Kidman sizzle.

Eileen Heckart's Oscar winning Best Supporting Actress performance is perfection.

MGM scored with their screen adaptation of the Cole Porter musical.

Marsha Mason's Oscar-nominated performance is worth the price of admission alone.

George Burns won an Oscar for this, but I think Walter Matthau is the show here...a performance that would have won him an Oscar in another year.

It's beginning to creak around the edges a bit, but Chris Rock still steals the show.