What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher

I first saw Polanski's Macbeth in 1989 as a 'special treat' during a GCSE English class. It's a wonder that I passed the bloody exam at all because the teacher also showed us Jarman's version of The Tempest as a way of explaining things to us...

We had the same teacher for A Level and she presided over the mother of all Parent/Teacher sessions as her class f***ed up the exam en masse. The swats got nothing higher than a C and yours truly got an E. She never taught English again and finished her days doing RE and Social Studies, according to my younger cousins.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Welcome to the human race...
I got shown that when we studied the play in English a couple of years ago (not to mention watching it outside of school for the sake of familiarising myself with the play). Good film (at present I'd call it my second favourite Polanski film), plus English ended up being my best subject that year. Strange world.

I got shown that when we studied the play in English a couple of years ago (not to mention watching it outside of school for the sake of familiarising myself with the play). Good film (at present I'd call it my second favourite Polanski film), plus English ended up being my best subject that year. Strange world.
It was the first film he made after the Tate murders, I think, and it shows.

When I blagged my way to Uni (had enough grades to get me through despite the Eng blip, thankfully) I discovered the joys of the BBC Shakespeare collection on VHS in the college library. They were fantastic and usually 100% faithful to the text - much better than reading the stuff or making a fool of yourself by getting drunk in the front row of the RSC. Erm, maybe that was just me.

Orlando starring Tilda Swinton. I had it years ago on VHS. I have been looking for it on DVD and found it for sale at Amazon.UK - new, in stock.

The cinematography is outstanding, sets great and Tilda's acting is excellent. She is an intriguing woman. THe DVD has an excellent set of Features.

Christmas present for a mate. For an official F1 product, the packaging on this looks like a cheap knock-off I'd get down the local market. Hopefully the picture quality will redeem it.

Some cheapy finds:

"After..." - (£1)

"Aquarium" - (50p)

"The Cars that ate Paris" - (£1)
A teenage fave and one of the cult movie staples in my formative years when it used to be on TV.

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
Some cheapy finds:

"After..." - (£1)

"Aquarium" - (50p)

"The Cars that ate Paris" - (£1)
A teenage fave and one of the cult movie staples in my formative years when it used to be on TV.

Can you post a pic of that movie? The Cars That ate Paris. Sounds pretty interesting.

Arnie Cunningham- Right up the little tramps @ss!

Can you post a pic of that movie? The Cars That ate Paris. Sounds pretty interesting.
Do you know what would be a lot easier? If you did a google image search yourself.

Step 1 - Visit www.google.com (it's new, but trust me)
Step 2 - Click "images" (lots of pictures)
Step 3 - Search "The Cars That Ate Paris"

Success!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
Do you know what would be a lot easier? If you did a google image search yourself.

Step 1 - Visit www.google.com (it's new, but trust me)
Step 2 - Click "images" (lots of pictures)
Step 3 - Search "The Cars That Ate Paris"

Success!
Hey thanks. Silly me. Guess things sometimes never work for me.

Welcome to the human race...
Google: capable of solving over 90% of Martian Leader's queries.

Anyway, I ended up getting a 3-pack of Will Ferrell movies for my brother's Christmas present. 3-pack included Old School, Anchorman and Blades of Glory.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've always found it interesting that the cover of Macbeth shows Macduff, but that mirror scene is pretty trippy.

Forgot to mention these

Dead Heat along with the Conan films, The Running Man, Dreamscape, eXistenZ and Pin are all upgrades from vhs.

Will post photos when I get my new computer.

Something tells me you wouldn't enjoy it ML. As you're a lover of 50's type monster/sci-fi movies I can see the appeal of the title, but the film is actually a deadpan black comedy/satirical horror (very J.G. Ballard) with virtually no action until the final reel. It's extremely offbeat, slow paced and played completely straight for the most part; definitely an acquired taste. That is to say a very good one.

Forgot to mention these

NICE!!

First saw "Dead Heat" back in the 90's at an all night horror film festival.
It went down a storm! You have to adore the Chinese kitchen sequence.

Surprisingly downbeat movie though really, given the jokey attitude.
The scene when the girl slowly falls apart and she sheds a last tear as she dissolves away for example is a real strange scene in the film.
Effective...but miles away from the comedy that preceeded it.

Re; "The Cars that ate Paris"
I'm not up on all this picture posting stuff....Just Google the title. Lots of stills and posters.
It's not a great film but as I said it was part of my cult movie education in the 80's.
Though the spike covered VW Beetle is one of the most memorable sights in cinema.