A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Scream and Scream Again -

Well, that was odd, but it's a mostly compelling thriller. There's a hunt for a serial rapist and killer, a doctor specializing in organ transplants and a faction of pseudo-Nazis. These very different stories eventually converge, but it may happen too late because for most of the runtime, I was preoccupied with how they are connected. There are memorable moments that took me out of this state such as the chase for the rapist and killer which is long, but never boring, whenever AIP regulars Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Vincent Price (who plays the doctor) are on screen and any scene with Konratz (Marshall Jones), the scariest pseudo-Nazi who apparently learned to kill by studying Mr. Spock on Star Trek. I'll sum up how odd this movie is with a question it raises, which is one you would hardly expect it to raise considering the plot: how do we prevent scientific advancements from falling into the wrong hands?
This is pretty much note for note what my reaction was when I watched it. It's like you're changing channels between several different movies but somehow you're not only able to follow it but end up entertained.

Watched the first two episodes of 30 Coins on HBO. It's basically a serialized Alex De La Iglesia movie. Only someone (HBO Europe) threw a sh*tload of money at him. It's got a bit of a telenovela vibe to it with the hunky mayor and sexy veterinarian protagonists but a foreboding horror ambience is put to good use and the cast is uniformly solid. It's an 8 episode first season run and I don't know how long it'll go but so far I'm liking it better than Lovecraft Country anyway.

This is pretty much note for note what my reaction was when I watched it. It's like you're changing channels between several different movies but somehow you're not only able to follow it but end up entertained.
Pretty much. I don't know if you or anyone else here has seen William Friedkin's Sorcerer, but the movie is like if the four separate character introductions each lasted twenty minutes while the last ten minutes was about them all coming together.

Pretty much. I don't know if you or anyone else here has seen William Friedkin's Sorcerer, but the movie is like if the four separate character introductions each lasted twenty minutes while the last ten minutes was about them all coming together.
Heh. Yeah I watched Sorcerer a few years back and you're absolutely right.

Ah yes, one of the unanswered stills in my Corrie thread came from that.
WHAT!

I mean, I just looked back at my folder of the ones that bothered me the most and it isn't in there. Produce said screenshot!

WHAT!

I mean, I just looked back at my folder of the ones that bothered me the most and it isn't in there. Produce said screenshot!

I lost all of them when I ruined my last computer

I too have seen shots from that game in movies I've watched since that forum was deleted. Is the one with the cracked rear car window from Black Caesar?

I too have seen shots from that game in movies I've watched since that forum was deleted. Is the one with the cracked rear car window from Black Caesar?

I think it was. Either that or Candy Tangerine Man.

BOO!!!!!!

I will at some point be posting or sending you screenshots and I demand answers.

I definitely don't remember the answers to all of them. I had a million of them and I never really had them even labelled well to begin with

Kaun

I'd seen this years ago and only remembered one detail from the ending and...I don't know if I misremembered or watched a different cut but it definitely didn't come up this time. Also didn't help that the subtitles were out of sync and I had to lean on my extremely rudimentary knowledge of Hindi but found it easy enough to follow along.

But yeah, this is a really good time. Varma's direction is over the top, but in a way that mixes really entertainingly with the minimalist premise. Urmila Matondkar can be off-putting in other roles, but her nerviness works great here. Manoj Bajpayee decided to make his character funnier than was originally written, to the movie's tremendous benefit. Strong giallo vibes in the climax (shades of a certain Argento, at least in terms of the visuals).

More small scale thrillers should be set in houses with lots of scary looking pike things.

BAD RONALD (1974)

There's a special place in my heart for made-for-TV horror of the 70s/early 80s and this is one of my favorites. There's a subset of them that are based on an absurd but intriguing "hook" of a premise that lures you in. (Don't Be Afraid of the Dark and Crawlspace are two others I'd include in this category.) The beauty of these TV Movies is that they're often well under 90 minutes long, so there's very little fat. They throw the premise at you and before you've had time to think "well, that doesn't make much sense" you're already knee deep in it and it's too late to bail out. And if your first time watching it is at age 10 in the early 80s, so much the better.

The "hook" in this case is that a family moves into a house unaware that there is a creepy teenaged boy living in a secret room. How he got there is a result of a multitude of poor decisions by all concerned, but I won't spoil any of that. However, if you often find yourself overly concerned about "plot holes", "plausibility", "common sense", etc I'd advise you to look elsewhere. If you're still with me, than I can recommend this as a moderately suspenseful and creepy-enough good time.

One thing that I enjoy about it is that, despite Ronald's foolhardy-at-best and eventually reprehensible behavior, the film still manages to make us root for him in a way, at least in the early going. Similar to watching Norman Bates try to clean up his crime scene and dump Marion's car, I guess. Much of the suspense is derived from the "will he be found" element, and the nosy neighbor who keeps coming *this close* to finding him is pretty clearly meant to be just as much of a villain as Ronald himself. She even looks like a witch in her gardening hat.

One potentially disturbing thing I noted on this re-watch was that I think I sort of identified with Ronald when I first watched it. He was only slightly older than I at the time, was socially awkward, liked to draw castles and wizards, and just wanted a pretty girl to like him. Is that so wrong?? I would like to think that the young Cap drew a line at spying and abduction, so let's go with that.

And finally, if you happen to already be a fan of this film I can HIGHLY recommend the recent Warner Archive Blu-Ray. Holy cow what an improvement over the previous dvd. It's like watching it for the first time. The scene in the basement is particularly impressive. Every previous copy I've owned was just a dark blur during that scene but now you can actually see what's happening.

comparison--

There is something sort of compelling or almost sympathetic about someone who just keeps making bad choices.

I haven't seen Bad Ronald in years, but that new print looks miles improved.

Victim of The Night
A couple of you, from another, deceased forum, may remember my love () of the film Final Exam, my exasperation with its nearly-unique combination of being incredibly boring until it becomes unintentionally silly.

I had the pleasure this morning of happening across an episode of Siskel and Ebert in which Roger surprised me by announcing his "Dog Of The Week" was none other than...

“Gene, My ‘dog’ this week is called Final Exam, a movie that would dearly love to be yet another mad-slasher exploitation-picture, but this one lacks the wit and invention and imagination to even fail at that low level. This is one of the slowest, most boring movies I can remember ever having seen. It’s a series of forgettable, interchangeable characters talking endlessly about nothing in particular while, meanwhile, at the same time… nothing else is happening!
Final Exam takes place on a college campus. A mass-murderer is prowling through the area. Given the unwritten laws of the mad-slasher movies, he will eventually plunge his knife into a variety of hapless undergraduates. Well, because we know it’ll happen and the movie knows it’ll happen… why doesn’t it happen?! If there’s anything worse than an exploitation movie filled with senseless violence it’s an exploitation movie filled with indefinitely delayed senseless violence.”

Amen, Roger. Amen.

A couple of you, from another, deceased forum, may remember my love () of the film Final Exam, my exasperation with its nearly-unique combination of being incredibly boring until it becomes unintentionally silly.

I had the pleasure this morning of happening across an episode of Siskel and Ebert in which Roger surprised me by announcing his "Dog Of The Week" was none other than...

“Gene, My ‘dog’ this week is called Final Exam, a movie that would dearly love to be yet another mad-slasher exploitation-picture, but this one lacks the wit and invention and imagination to even fail at that low level. This is one of the slowest, most boring movies I can remember ever having seen. It’s a series of forgettable, interchangeable characters talking endlessly about nothing in particular while, meanwhile, at the same time… nothing else is happening!
Final Exam takes place on a college campus. A mass-murderer is prowling through the area. Given the unwritten laws of the mad-slasher movies, he will eventually plunge his knife into a variety of hapless undergraduates. Well, because we know it’ll happen and the movie knows it’ll happen… why doesn’t it happen?! If there’s anything worse than an exploitation movie filled with senseless violence it’s an exploitation movie filled with indefinitely delayed senseless violence.”

Amen, Roger. Amen.

Could’ve been describing Final Terror!