Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yeah, i was just saying because i know gbg is quite familiar with her. Only seen Calamity Jane myself, as i've told you before i think.

Most people would recommend her movies with Rock Hudson, (and they're great movies so I would recommend them too), but I would also recommend her movies with James Garner. The Thrill of It All and Move Over, Darling are both terrific movies too.

Welcome to the human race...
Nightcrawler -

Wasn't expecting it to hold up under scrutiny (another violently nihilistic arthouse movie about a deranged but charismatic white guy? I totally haven't seen enough of those) but it actually does.

I have to return some videotapes...
Killing Them Softly (2012) -

Solid film aside from the political aspects, which pulled me out. A lot of great character actor work. One of Scoot's best.

I have to return some videotapes.

Solid film aside from the political aspects, which pulled me out. A lot of great character actor work. One of Scoot's best.
I thought it was downright awful, one of the worst movies ive ever seen. Glad to see someone likes it though lol.

The Skin I Live In -

Gives "skin deep" a whole different meaning. Appearances can be deceiving, and Almodóvar brutally slams audiences in the head with that notion, shoving our face against the wall after which for good measure. This twisted story of Frankensteinian love is exactly the brilliant kind of "toy with your mind" thriller that I'm deeply fond of. It doesn't confuse you with abstract imagery like Under the Skin, settling for messages that are easily understood, and therefore, easily disturbing.

And yet, beneath that simple and disturbing facade lies a deeper exploration of sexuality and identity. One could wonder if
WARNING: "plot" spoilers below
Vincente had forgotten hir supposedly 'true self' during the course of hir deception. Even if it's eventually revealed that sie's taken vindictive measures to ensure he remembers who sie was, falling into the deception of appearances can be so easy as the film demonstrates. For a moment as sie looked at a photo of hir old face, a spark of struggle can be seen in hir expression, resonating the film's theme of identity crisis.

And it's not just Vincente who is worth exploring either. Robert clings to the love of his dead wife and selfishly recreates an idol in her image, demonstrating the thin line between love and lust. And yes, there was love in this man despite his seemingly sociopathic tendencies. There are numerous displays of familial love by Robert, so you know he's not just some monstrous, amoral jerk masturbating to his own fantasies. Almodóvar's intent seems to be more than just shock and disturb. It's more like he cynically claims that love is superficial for all it's worth, and sometimes, what you feel in your heart is no less delusional than that feeling in your pants. An uncomfortable statement, certainly, especially when it's a statement also applied to the 'non-consensual' sex scene when Zeca had thought he was merely returning to the embrace of an old lover.

The Skin I Live In will go down as one of those films too offensive and 'tasteless' for certain people, but for those with a more pessimistic view of humanity, this might be a fascinating affirmation of your beliefs. While the ending is rather tame compared to what it had boldly tackled for the past two hours, saying nothing meaningful more than wrap up a happy ending, the rest of it is a relentless test of endurance worth sitting through to question its uncomfortable subjects.

I thought this was great, but I've seen it get a lot of hate, I enjoyed the political aspect of it as well though. I liked that the characters they focussed on were normally kind of the "small time players" you'd see in another gangster film, but it explored their lives in more gritty detail, might watch it again soon.

Welcome to the human race...
Nightcrawler -

Wasn't expecting it to hold up under scrutiny (another violently nihilistic arthouse movie about a deranged but charismatic white guy? I totally haven't seen enough of those) but it actually does.
That's a lot of +rep despite me still getting in an "edgy white guy" jab (even if it is fairly well-made for an "edgy white guy" movie).

Anyway...

Out of Sight -

I can't decide between "Soderboregh" or "Soderblergh".

That's a lot of +rep despite me still getting in an "edgy white guy" jab (even if it is fairly well-made for an "edgy white guy" movie).

Anyway...

Out of Sight -

I can't decide between "Soderboregh" or "Soderblergh".
Why do you hate edgy white guys so much?

I have to return some videotapes...
I thought it was downright awful, one of the worst movies ive ever seen. Glad to see someone likes it though lol.
What's your problem with it?

Finished here. It's been fun.

Hausu
-
Didn't expect to enjoy this one, but it really managed to win me over.

The Blob

An entertaining piece of 50's sci-fi schlock.

The Nice Guys

Derivative. Formulaic. Unfunny. Despite this film being one of my most anticipated of the year, I can't give this a positive rating. It attempts to capture the tone and vibe of far-superior films like The Long Goodbye, Inherent Vice, L.A. Confidential and Boogie Nights; yet it fails in every department. The script is poorly written and relies too heavily on formula and convenience. The setting and atmosphere feels painfully inauthentic.The jokes never land (I didn't laugh a single time).Every attempt at evoking pathos falls flat. And worst of all: it's effing dull. Goose was good, tho.

The Jerk

Despite me not being a big fan of most comedies, I really ended up enjoying this one. Steve Martin's best role.

The VVitch (2015)

-

Like the superior The Devil's Backbone, I thought the setting and time period made the big difference. It's something that can bring freshness to a stale genre, and that uplifted this horror from very average to good.

X-Men Avocado (2016) -

I will rate anything 5/5 that has Evan Peters. ****ing love that dude,love American Horror Story, and I couldn't believe and I still don't that he is Quicksilver back in Day of the Future Past and now. Maybe a little cliche the movie at the end, forget what I just said I will give it a 4. Enjoyable and would watch it again, but far from perfect

Nightcrawler -

Funny, there is a Nightcrawler in X-men, also I gotta watch this movie if you give it a 4/5

Across the Wide Missouri (1951)

+

From the top 100 westerns list and starring Clark Gable, but nothing stands out about it. Nothing to really complain about, but the best thing is that it's an easy watch with a short runtime.

The Breakfast Club -

Man, i love this film, possibly even more than the last time i watched it. Everytime i watch it i expect it not to work but it always holds up. It is hilarious, so many great scenes this time i think i laughed at the whistling scene most; Bender changing the whistle for the principals entrance is just so amazing .