Best Of Johnny Depp?

Tools    

There are those who call me...Tim.
Pirates of the Caribbean
Once upon a time in Mexico
and Edward Scissorhands

I only saw Mexico the other day, because the person who told me about the film before was a little vague with the details...

Friend: So yeah, the guy's got 3 arms...

My favorite Johnny movies are
Sleepy Hollow, Benny And Joon, Pirates of The Caribbean, Edward Scissorhands, Secret Window and Cry Baby.
I have fourteen of his movies, hes my favorite actor. I love how he always makes a new voice for each character, and looks different, and even moves differently. Thats why he is a real actor.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I'd put his five best as...

1. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (1998 - Terry Gilliam)
2. Dead Man (1995 - Jim Jarmusch)
3. Ed Wood (1994 - Tim Burton)
4. Donnie Brasco (1997 - Mike Newell)
5. Arizona Dream (1993 - Emir Kusturica)

Oh, most definitely.
Did ye like Edward Scissorhands, mate? The Secret Window, I thought, was a good one.

Originally Posted by Cyric the Mad
Did ye like Edward Scissorhands, mate?
No. Depp's performance is fine, but as an overall movie I thought it was weak and poorly done. I literally fell asleep in the theater the first time I tried to watch it. I think it's Burton's most overrated movie by a mile...though Big Fish can be seen in the rear-view mirror.

Originally Posted by Cyric the Mad
The Secret Window, I thought, was a good one.
It isn't. Again, Depp is fine, but the film is so obvious and cliched who cares? Besides you, I mean?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Secret Window was recycled tripe....

My favs....

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
From Hell
(yes, this film has problems, but I love the production design and Depps performance.
Ed Wood
Dead Man (wonderful)
Donnie Brasco

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
No. Depp's performance is fine, but as an overall movie I thought it was weak and poorly done. I literally fell asleep in the theater the first time I tried to watch it. I think it's Burton's most overrated movie by a mile...though Big Fish can be seen in the rear-view mirror.

It isn't. Again, Depp is fine, but the film is so obvious and cliched who cares? Besides you, I mean?
You sound so matter-of-fact. But I'd have to go with ye on Scissorhands. It is waaay out of Depp's field of acting.

Sleepy Hollow
and
Dead Man

Were my favourite pieces of his, by the way.

[quote]It isn't. Again, Depp is fine, but the film is so obvious and cliched who cares? Besides you, I mean?
to Holden Pike, I CARE! secret window is one of my favourite movie..its damn good.how is it Obvious??? its way less obvious than most of Hollywiid crap movies..like where the bad guy gets killed and the good guy is all bulletproof..therefore all movies are obvious.
Name me some movies which ending was totally unpredictable and not obvious

Casablanca, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Chinatown to name three great ones.

Secret Window is completely derivitive, most obviously from Stephen King's very own The Dark Half. Of course if you haven't seen or read many stories like it, it will seem brand spanking new to you. It isn't.

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
[quote=kenny]
to Holden Pike, I CARE! secret window is one of my favourite movie..its damn good.how is it Obvious??? its way less obvious than most of Hollywiid crap movies..like where the bad guy gets killed and the good guy is all bulletproof..therefore all movies are obvious.
Name me some movies which ending was totally unpredictable and not obvious
Secret Window, damn good?
I...agh.
Nevermind. It was totally retarded. It was less than Identity and that wasn't any good. Same trick, done over and over again. Remember the one with Rebecca DeMornay? Antonio Banderas...what the hell was that called? Don't Sleep with the Enemy Which is Aslo Yourself? Something like that. Another Hollywood Formula. They're a dime a dozen and the ending never surprises you...
...except The Usual Suspects. Never saw that one coming.

Originally Posted by 2wrongs
except The Usual Suspects. Never saw that one coming.
Secret Window was very predictable.

Yet The Usual Suspects was not. I probably would have predicted it, if he was such a gimp. I've would have never knew he was faking it. There really wasn't any clues to tell he was faking it. Not that i can remember.

I must-see Finding Neverland before i can say what his best work was.

But for now its Ed Wood

I think Johnny's best work to date would be...hmmm...Blow. I like his quirky work too, like Edward Scissorhands and Sleepy Hollow. He was good in Donnie Brasco as well.

A novel adaptation.
I'm not really a big fan of Johnny Depp. He's done a fair amount of better-than-average films, and his acting ability in them was certainly alright... But more often than not I think a large part of all of his performances are overshadowed by the fact that he still seems to be playing Johnny Depp.
And this definitely becomes more and more challenging to forget as he takes on more and more roles that involve him cavorting around as some caricature of a character.

Anyways, I liked Dead Man and Fear and Loathing quite a bit.
Really, though, it amazes me that no one has mentioned his wonderful, if minor, dual performance in Before Night Falls.
Which I think, while a bit easy, and more a case of him playing someone being played by Johnny Depp than any other film role he's ever acted, is still some of his most innocently enjoyable work.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Edward Scissorhands will most likely always be my favorite movie and performance of his.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Because I've seen that movie so many times, it's almost lost it's luster. I should give more credit to it. It is a wonderful movie. Partly because Of Johnny Depp but mostly because of Tim Burton.

Ed Wood
Pirates of the Caribbean
Fear and Loathing
Sleepy Hollow
From Hell

Even thought I've not seen too many of his movies, my favourite is def "Pirates of the Carribean" because he didnt seem like he was only acting, he seemed to become Jack Sparrow! It was amazing! And he was hilarious in it too!

1.pirates of the caribbean
2.arizona dream
3.ed wood
4.the brave
5.donnie brasco
6.sleepy hollow
7.benny & joon
8.ninth gate
9.secret window

my fav Johnny movies

pirates,brasco,gilbert grape

Originally Posted by moviedvdfreak