Movie Tab II

Tools    

Blue Ruin (Jeremy Saulnier, 2013)
+
*The Brave One (Neil Jordan, 2007)

The Adjustment Bureau (George Nolfi, 2011)

Sinister (Scott Derrickson, 2012)

Grabbers (Jon Wright, 2012)
+
Alien Trespass (R.W. Goodwin, 2009)

*Outland (Peter Hyams, 1980)
+

High Noon meets Alien in Hyams' overlooked thriller Outland.

Kinky Boots (Julian Jarrold, 2005)

Wonder Women (Robert O'Neil, 1973)
+
The One Armed Executioner (Bobby A. Suarez, 1983)
-
Rica aka Konketsuji Rika (Kô Nakahira, 1972)
+
Rica 2: Lonely Wanderer aka Konketsuji Rika: Hitoriyuku sasuraitabi (Kô Nakahira, 1973)

Rica 3: Juvenile's Lullaby aka Konketsuji Rika: Hamagure komoriuta (Kôzaburô Yoshimura, 1973)

*School of the Holy Beast aka Seijû gakuen (Noribumi Suzuki, 1974)
+
Karate Inferno: The Executioner II aka Chokugeki jigoku-ken: Dai-gyakuten (Teruro Ishii, 1974)

Blind Woman's Curse aka Kaidan nobori ryû (Teruro Ishii, 1970)

Not Uzumaki, but the climactic showdown from Ishii's giallo-pinky-chanbara hybrid Blind Woman's Curse.

*North Sea Hijack aka Ffolkes (Andrew V. McLaglen, 1979)
+
*Sneakers (Phil Alden Robinson, 1992)

*Contagion (Steven Soderbergh, 2011)
+
*The Fugitive (Andrew Davis, 1993)
+
*Breakdown (Jonathan Mostow, 1997)
+
*Cutter's Way aka Cutter and Bone (Ivan Passer, 1981)

John Heard's edgy performance as damaged Vietnam veteran, Cutter elevates Passer's slow paced melodrama.

Winter Kills (William Richert, 1979)

*The Bourne Identity (Doug Liman, 2002)
-
*The Bourne Supremacy (Paul Greengrass, 2004)
-
*The Bourne Ultimatum (Paul Greengrass)
-
*Maniac (William Lustig, 1980)

Maniac (Franck Khalfoun, 2012)

*Eating Raoul (Paul Bartel, 1982)
+++

The late Paul Bartel, and Mary Woronov are great value as a kooky couple who resort to murderous-swinging to fund their dream restaurant in Eating Raoul.

* = rw.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I just wrote about pink films in my Movie Journey thread!

http://www.movieforums.com/community...t=31701&page=3

Haha, you foreseen this and already seen two films I mention!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I wish more Pinky Violence films were readily available on dvd and blu ray in the west. The ones that are tend to go out of print quickly and subsequently sell for silly money online. Clearly there's a whole treasure-trove of unseen gems waiting for discovery. UK label Arrow are starting to address this with their Stray Cat Rock boxset, and various other Chanbara films that also star Meiko Kaji, and I have some of the US releases on Discotek Media and Panik House, but there are loads I either can't afford, or simply don't know about. I guess torrents are the only way with some of these flicks.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Wow, a rapperetta sounds like it could be one of the great worst movies ever made if done right
It looked like it was filmed on somebody's herky-jerky cellphone. As expected, about one-third of the "lyrics" are the n-word and the b-word. The only funny part in the movie was when white cop Michael Rappaport asked his black partner to stop using the n-word.

A system of cells interlinked
Terminator: Salvation

(McG, 2009)

I had never gone out of my way to watch this, but it was entertaining enough. Was interesting to see a bit of history of the Terminator lines etc.

Deliverance

(Boorman, 1972)

I hadn't seen this is a long time, and Lisa had never seen it. Pretty sure she will never go on a canoe trip after this one!

Inside Out (Pete Docter & Ronaldo Del Carmen, 2015):

Dogville (Lars von Trier, 2003):

The Killer (John Woo, 1989):

Captain America: The First Avenger (Joe Johnston, 2011):

The Fire Within (Louis Malle, 1963):

Hour of the Wolf (Ingmar Bergman, 1968):

Through a Glass Darkly (Ingmar Bergman, 1961):

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Terry Gilliam & Terry Jones, 1975):

Some Velvet Morning

"That's the truth. The lesson is in the struggle. That's what makes us shine, or roll over and die like little bitches in the dirt with our guts exposed and flies ******** in our open mouths"

I'm a fan of Neil LaBute as a playwright; Some Velvet Morning is typical of his short plays. There is no attempt to disguise the fact that it's a by-the-numbers one-act play.

Even the title is a little lazy. Though the contrasting personalities of Fred and Velvet suggest the Lee Hazlewood/Nancy Sinatra song of the same name was an inspiration, we don't get to hear it. The film is set one morning in the house of Velvet (Alice Eve). Fred, a middle-aged lawyer (Stanley Tucci) turns up on Velvet's doorstep to announce that he's left his wife for her. Velvet is seeing her ex- Fred's son Chris- on the side, which winds up already aggressive Fred.

For a film that is essentially one long argument between two characters, the dialogue should be much tighter. LaBute's dialogue in In The Company of Men and Your Friends and Neighbours was perfectly and nastily on point, whereas here it's the old play convention of contriving reasons why they continue the argument.

With the writing relatively low-key (well, it is a LaBute film so some rage remains), the focus is all on the acting. Eve becomes better as the film progresses; Tucci is actually pretty good, considering that I've only ever seen him in comic roles. He carries off the LaBute dialogue more naturally than Eve and Fred's aggressive sense of entitlement is classic LaBute. Whilst Fred and Velvet's relationship is in stalemate, there are some nice moments of tenderness between them (tenderness in a LaBute film is quite a surprise).

There is a twist at the end, which is initially frustrating but it does make you want to rewatch the film. On a rewatch, I may prefer it but for me at the moment, it's a little too thin and lacks the brutal honesty/dishonesty of In The Company of Men, or even Your Friends and Neighbours.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Paparazzi (Paul Abascal, 2004)

It Happened in Flatbush (Ray McCarey, 1942)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Thor Freudenthal, 2010)
+
My Brilliant Career (Gillian Armstrong, 1979)

In early 20th-century Australia, wealthy farmer Sam Neill visits the estate of the grandmother (Aileen Britton) of aspiring writer Judy Davis whom he woos, but she never plans to marry and live the boring life of a housewife.
City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold (Paul Weiland, 1994)

2047: Sights of Death aka Death Squad (Alessandro Capone, 2014)

Kiss Me Goodbye (Robert Mulligan, 1982)

Dean Smith (George Roy, 2015)

University of North Carolina coach Dean Smith, the winningest basketball coach in NCAA history at his retirement (currently fourth), cuts down the net after his first NCAA tourney win in 1982 with a team which included future hall of famers Michael Jordan and James Worthy.
Curtain Call (Frank Woodruff, 1940)

Elektra (Rob Bowman, 2005)
+
The White Squaw (Ray Nazarro, 1956)

One A.M. (Charles Chaplin, 1916)

The Murphy Bed gag where Charlie first gets trapped behind the wall and later in the bed itself.
Repent at Leisure (Frank Woodruff, 1941)
+
His Family Tree (Charles Vidor, 1935)

Woody Herman & His Orchestra (Roy Mack, 1940)

Stick It (Jessica Bendinger, 2006)
+

A juvenile delinquent (Missy Peregrym) with a gymnastic past gets assigned by the court to train with a famous has-been coach (Jeff Bridges), and they unexpectedly try to improve each other.
The Man Who Found Himself (Lew Landers, 1937)

Blind Alibi (Lew Landers, 1938)
+
Conspiracy (Lew Landers, 1939)

Our Day Will Come (Romain Gavrea, 2010)
-

Bullied teenager Olivier Barthelemy finds a moment of freedom on his wild adventures with psycho psychiatrist Vincent Cassel.

June, 2015 movies watched-

Cul-De-Sac (1966)
Early Polanski thriller that I found to be absolutely hilarious.

Far from the Madding Crowd (1967)
This British film is not my kind of movie at all, but it's a very good one.

Shame (1968)
Liv Ullmann and Max Von Sydow give terrific performances in one of my new favorites from director Bergman.

O Pagador de Promessas (1962)
The only Brazilian film ever to win the big prize at Cannes was a big surprise for me.

Barbarella (1968)
Crappy but watchable, thanks to Fonda's hotness.

The Big City (1963)
Thoroughly impressed with my first movie from director Ray.

Darling (1965)
Great performance from Julie Christie, but otherwise very average for me.

The Battle of Algiers (1966)
The most realistic portrayal of terrorism I've ever seen on screen.

The Human Condition II: Road to Eternity (1959)
A small step down from the first I thought, but still great filmmaking.

Support Your Local Sheriff! (1969)
Very enjoyable and likable comedic Western with a nice cast, headlined by James Garner.

The Face of Another (1966)
I found the secondary story to be unnecessary, but otherwise I thought this was terrific.

The Incident (1967)
I enjoyed this movie but thought it lacked believability.

L'Eclisse (1962)
Nothing I disliked, and it was great to look at, but I couldn't connect.

The Blues Brothers (1980) Repeat viewing
My most special favorite.

Faces (1968)
Loved the acting and how it was filmed, but I thought a lot of the scenes dragged needlessly.

A Woman is a Woman (1961)
Not my kind of movie, but it's short, somewhat amusing, and has Anna Karina.

The Hustler (1961) Repeat viewing
I've seen this movie many times, and this was perhaps my most rewarding viewing.

The Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer (1961)
I absolutely loved the first half of this last film of the trilogy, then started to feel it's length a bit in the second half.

Cold in July (2014)
Very solid southern crime thriller.

Kidnapped (2010)
Very intense, upsetting, and well made home invasion flick.

Harakiri (1962) Repeat viewing
One of the best Japanese movies I've seen with a great story.

One, Two, Three (1961)
Very funny and fast paced Billy Wilder comedy with James Cagney.

The Naked Island (1960)
Very minimalist with basically zero dialogue. Not my thing at all, but there were aspects I enjoyed.

Amazonia: The Catherine Miles Story aka White Slave (1985)
Ok Italian exploitation.

Late Autumn (1960)
Not my favorite Ozu as I wasn't crazy about the cast, but after 5 movies for me, any Ozu is good Ozu.

Go, Go, Second Time Virgin (1969)
65 minute pinky film that may be exploitive, but is definitely sad.

Inglourious Basterds (2009) Repeat viewing
Much improved on my 2nd viewing. I find it uneven, but there's so many great moments.

Kuroneko (1968)
Creepy Japanese horror featuring ghosts, samurai, and a black cat.

Fantastic Voyage (1966)
Not bad, but I thought it was a bit cheesy and dated.

The Lonely Wife (1964)
Good movie, but I did not care about the plight of the title character.

Inherit the Wind (1960)
Fantastic drama loaded with great performances.

Two Rode Together (1961)
Decent Western, but given the efforts of John Ford, Jimmy Stewart, and Richard Widmark, it should've been better.

Carry On... Up the Khyber (1968)
Funny British comedy.

1408 (2007)
Johnny Cusack and Sammy Jackson star in this horror that starts well, but then runs out of spark.

The Passion of Anna (1969)
Consistently powerful and visually beautiful film from director Bergman.

Secret Window (2007)
A great cast for a horror movie, and it kept me guessing through to the end.

Zombie (1979)
One of the best zombie films I've seen.

June viewings-37
Total 2015 viewings-245

Breaking the Maya Code (David Lebrun, 2008)
- everyone should see this before submitting a MoFo documentaries list.
Hua yang de nian hua (short) (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
- a 2-minute montage of footage from old Chinese films. It's a laudable ad for film-restoration efforts but is most interesting as a possible study for the gestural vocabular of In the Mood for Love.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this.
It delivers on an action level. But the "emotional" moments I found to just be absolutely ridiculous and did not work for me. And then by the end, I was even bored by the action.

I also thought the acting was terrible, particularly by the lead actress.

Sin City
(Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez, 2005)

+

- Violent and well made movie. Perfect comic-book adaptation and the cast is great.

Full Metal Jacket
(Stanley Kubrick, 1987)

+

- Amazing 80's war movie with exceptionnal performance from the cast and an amazing direction from Kubrick. Brilliant flick with some funny , tragic and disturbing moment.

Red Dragon
(Brett Ratner, 2002)

+

- Another excellent cast and one hell of a great ride. I love that flick especially for the amazing plot and it's one of the best thriller that I've seen recently.

I think I like the Hobbit movies better than the Lord of the Rings. I agree that it's not the book, but I liked all the stuff that they shoehorned in so it didn't bother me. The CGI is maybe a little more pervasive but I think it actually blends a little better for the most part.
Take it back.