The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Trivia

Sunshine

Did you know that...
  • before committing to Sunshine, Boyle was attached to direct an adaptation of the book 3000 Degrees, based on the events of the Worcester Warehouse fire? That film later became Ladder 49.
  • Boyle had the members of the cast living together to create a sense of camaraderie? He also took them to method acting classes, space training, scuba diving, a tour of a nuclear submarine, and zero G training, while also encouraging them to watch films together.
  • Boyle was so impressed with Michelle Yeoh's audition that she let her chose whatever role she wanted to perform? He was even ready to change the gender if she chose a male character.

Trivia

Watchmen

Did you know that...
  • Jackie Earle Haley was the only member of the cast familiar with the source material? He openly campaigned for the role of Rorschach.
  • neither Matthew Goode nor Patrick Wilson were familiar with the graphic novel? Both had good friends that were familiar with it, though, and both asked their respective friends for advice on whether they should take the role, with both friends strongly encouraging them to do so.
  • when Alan Moore, author of the graphic novel, was asked about the upcoming adaptation, he said "Do we really need another ****ty film in the world?" Moore has always been against any adaptation of the material saying that Watchmen is "unfilmable".

Ok, shhh... here are tomorrow's hints

WARNING: spoilers below

Entry #87 is somewhere on the Top 10 of longest titles of the countdown... but it's not the longest.

Its director had already won an Oscar... but not for directing.

On the other hand, entry #86 is on the Bottom 10 of shortest titles of the countdown... but it's not the shortest.

And its director has never won an Oscar, but was nominated for two sometime after this film.

Ta-ta

If we wanted to make them "unguessable", then I would just post a random word from the script and let you all pelt me with guesses
Hint: Tomorrow's movie has the word "the" in the script.

Watchmen was mindblowing, not necessarily as a superhero flick but as a Snyder flick. He was perfect for adapting something unfilmable. Excellent plotting, great characters, heavy sfx with a purpose and especially that final plot twist at the very end... BOOM! I was SO happy about that twist.
I took Rorshach's side.

And the noirish vibe wasn't overdone. And the tints for each scene were perfect, not reliant one one tint throughout like the blue of Underworld or the 300 gold.

96. I didn't think I'd give it a 96, but I am.

Also watched Batman vs. Superman, the extended edition. I liked the morality delivery, which is something Superman's missing, and I've noticed that Snyder seems to keep Superman's adversaries as a real threat, which Superman also needs. But it was overlong and over epic, obviously built for setting up other movies.

Now I'm halfway through Sucker Punch. Final film before sleeping.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Ok, shhh... here are tomorrow's hints

Entry #87 is somewhere on the Top 10 of longest titles of the countdown... but it's not the longest.

Its director had already won an Oscar... but not for directing.

On the other hand, entry #86 is on the Bottom 10 of shortest titles of the countdown... but it's not the shortest.

And its director has never won an Oscar, but was nominated for two sometime after this film.

Ta-ta

I can't help but play on your words:

The longest title should be 8 Mile

Hint: Tomorrow's movie has the word "the" in the script.
Attack of the Clones
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

• when Alan Moore, author of the graphic novel, was asked about the upcoming adaptation, he said "Do we really need another ****ty film in the world?" Moore has always been against any adaptation of the material saying that Watchmen is "unfilmable".
IIRC the only adaptation of his work he likes is the Justice League Unlimited episode "For the Man Who Has Everything".

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I tried watching Almost Famous for this countdown, but I turned it off after about a half hour. I didn't like the music, and I just wasn't enjoying the movie.

I watched Juno for this countdown, and I liked it a lot. It was on my list for a while, but it just got pushed off as I watched more movies. I'm glad to see that it made the countdown without my help.

I saw Sunshine a while back, and I was enjoying it for most of the movie, but when it took a turn from a good sci-fi to a horror movie, I didn't care for it anymore. I didn't think it made sense to rewatch it for this countdown because it wasn't likely to make my list anyway.

Watchmen is another movie that I saw a long time ago, but I didn't think it made sense to rewatch it for the countdown because it wouldn't make my list anyway. (If I'm remembering the right movie), it was too dark and too violent for my taste.

I have both Sunshine and Watchmen on DVD, so I could give these movies another chance someday.

As for Watchmen, a bit of a lengthier story, but I had never read the graphic novel nor seen the film until 2019. Back then, an online friend (was it you, @ThatDarnMKS?) recommended me to read the graphic novel, so knowing how much praise it gets, I checked it out and ended up reading it twice in a month. For someone who's not that much into comics, that's quite something. I still think it is one of the most impressive pieces of entertainment I've seen or read.

With that said, when I saw the film, I found it extremely overwhelming. Not only because it failed to capture the scope of the novel, but also because it pretty much missed the whole point of it, especially in a key character like Rorschach. This is a tidbit from my review...
"Despite Snyder's apparent appreciation of the source material, the way he adapts it indicates there seems to be a misunderstanding of the general themes and goals of the comic book, which range from a general deconstruction of the traditional superhero by presenting them all as flawed individuals and not 'uber-cool bad-asses' to a misrepresentation of the motivations, the psyche, the nature of some of the main characters, most notably Rorschach. On the contrary, Snyder seems more interested in portraying kick-ass heroes and extreme violence with little of the subtlety and nuance of the novel."
You can read my full review here. Sure, I know we're not reviewing the novel, but even if I take the film at face value, the performances are uneven or downright bad, especially Malin Ĺkerman; and there's an issue with pacing and flow from one setpiece to the other, which feels kinda clunky.
Pretty much, since Watchmen was both faithful to a fault (like preserving the endless cutting back-and-forth during
The Comedian's funeral
, something that worked far better in the comic format, which tends to be less sensitive to the issues of pacing that a movie is), while also completely missing the whole point of the comic's deconstruction of superhero mythos, like when Snyder took one panel of this...

...and turned it into this:

Unpopular opinion (it seems): Snyder's Watchmen is better than the original comic book (and the comic book is much better than the HBO's series, which I never even finished).

Unpopular opinion (it seems): Snyder's Watchmen is better than the original comic book (and the comic book is much better than the HBO's series, which I never even finished).
I'm right there with you @pahaK in liking it better than the comic. While the comic book is very good and I can see the brilliance of it, I liked the movie better as entertainment, which it has to be in some way for me to like it. And the movie delivered that in spades. I loved Jackie Earle Haley and Jeffrey Dean Morgan the most in the movie, but I thought everyone was fine.

I've seen all of the latest four reveals and liked every one of them. I guess I enjoyed Juno the best because it had the "feels" in it, and it also had two of my loves, Jennifer Garner and Olivia Thirlby in it. Plus, it's got J.K. Simmons. I mean, I stop what I'm doing even when his insurance commercials are on, the guy is so compelling.

Still, no joy for me as of yet. But I figure several to get in there as we get about midway at least (or I'm hoping!).

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#87. Watchmen / #88. Sunshine - another portion of movies I've never heard and for what I see about them, I'm not interested at all.

Seen 5/14.
My list entries 0/25.

By the way, thanks to this countdown, I was hit by desire to rewatch The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and I did it yesterday- my second watch since I saw it for the first time about 7 years ago.
Yes, as I've said before, it is too experimental to make my ballot but what a great visuals. Absolute pleasure.

A system of cells interlinked
Sunshine came VERY close to making my ballot, but was ultimately cut at the last minute. Watchmen is pretty good, but wasn't in consideration for my ballot.

Over the weekend, I managed to get Pride and Prejudice in. For the first 20 minutes or so, I found it sort of dry and off-putting, but ultimately, its charms and excellent technical quality won me over, Great stuff, I will watch again.

Also, checked out the 90s version of Little Women on @honeykid's recommendation, and I adored that - I liked it a bit more than the recent one.

I gave The Diving Bell and the Butterfly short shrift earlier because I was focused on Hedwig, but I actually liked it quite a bit, even though I didn't seriously consider for my list (it might have made a top 50, though).

I also rated Almost Famous pretty highly when I saw it on release, but I haven't seen it since and didn't consider it either--the same goes to a lesser degree for Juno.

I admired Sunshine's ambition, but it didn't fully work for me. That said, it's one I'd strongly consider watching again to see if that changed.

I'm on the same page as Thief on Watchmen: Snyder didn't understand the point of the novel, so what we get instead is a kind of reconstructed superhero mythos that favors aesthetics over ideas.

No changes to my ballot, but a bit of an update to my tally...

Seen: 7/14

My ballot: