Favourite 10 books

Tools    

If you say so, good sir, but no order

Les Chants de Maldoror - Comte de Lautréamont

French surrealism before it was a thing, that not even the French are generally aware of as I found out, which I read in high school and became a mental deviant. It's a prose poem, not really with a plot, but a common thread of questioning a bittersweet misanthropy through visions and finding morality therein. Really dense and chaotic, one of a kind, a true puppeteer this man.

The Voice Imitator - Thomas Bernhard

Microfiction of the finest quality I've come across. I'm still stunned how he can have complete stories ranging from two sentences to just one page that are all just devastating, and understated at that. The topics covered are pretty much, uh, everything, so, ya know, fun for the whole family, as long as your family is depressed as ****.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

What a lovely juxtaposition that is, this being the funniest book I've ever read. Absurdities of technology, politic, reducing the big questions to jokes, all while being rather profound I felt; I feel sort of stupid for not having read the rest of them actually. Essentially, this book encapsulates my style of humor, and came at a point in my life where I was already laughing at all the things mocked in the book, so good timing or whatever, but still genius, and a wordsmith in comedy is a rare thing.

Paradise Lost - John Milton

I read the Bible, then I read this, and I read this again. The devil as a sympathetic character, one of the greatest tragic tales in poetry, or anything I suppose. Written in such a way to not be really partisan (or at least enough to not be banned for eternity), it's probably the earliest record of an opposing argument against the era's world power, while also being beautifully worded, on par with William Blake, but Blake had illustrations, I wish more people carried that on. I also love the story that Milton wrote this while blind through divine intervention.

The Winter's Tale - William Shakespeare

Structural chaos, emotionally spontaneous, and "exit stage left, chased by a polar bear." I was going to put King Lear here, but this late play by English's all-deserving master is more beautiful, and impressive in that it has a lot of the power of King Lear in just the first half of the play, while the second half is much more bucolic and darkly hilarious, with a touch of sorrow, but never becoming melodramatic. Plays with this sort of structure, and lack of common thread, were less than rare, this is ahead of its time before being able to be ahead of its time.

Rhinoceros - Eugene Ionesco

I saw this performed by a French troupe a couple years back and it reinstilled my love for the most honest play regarding the human condition. Essentially, the main topic, amongst others, is the submission to norms and attacking everything else, especially those who question. Originally written in reaction to World War II and a critique of Sartre who condemned everyone but ignored the Soviet Union's crimes, it is probably even more relevant today, which is terrifying, but at least someone got it back then. His other plays are also fantastic.

The Kalevala - traditional Finnish tales

I could really pick any mythology (still need to read Russian and Japanese), but this is the most interesting for me so far, not for an particular reason either. Unlike Greek and Celtic mythologies however this is written in poetry form, like the Norse, and this is due to the tradition of carrying down folktales through song, and the magic of my translation is it managed to retain the lyricism.

La Religieuse - Denis Diderot

This novel began as a joke, with a friend of Diderot and co. moving away from them, and, in hoping to make him return, Diderot started writing to him under the guise of Suzanne, a nun who barely escaped death from her convent, begging him to come save her. This correspondence lasted a couple months (with each of his sympathetic replies mustering many laughs amongst his eager readers) and he eventually did return for her, but discovered the ruse and laughed along with his friends. However, this became the basis for the novel, written as a confession to this Marquis, explaining the madness that occurs between two different convents, one utterly brutal, and the other more...desirable (Black Narcissus definitely took notes here). While not only being an attack on the way convents were run at the time, it was also a devastating attack against religious intolerance and repression (mentally, physically, spiritually), and is linked to being a key influence on the French Revolution, back when books changed the world.

Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka

Short story that everyone has probably read, but it certainly isn't outdated. It is certainly an obvious choice though.

Candide - Voltaire

This might be more obvious, but this is a book I think is possibly the most understood, because either people I've spoken with think it's literal, or they think it's 100% sarcastic. It's both, and knowing which is which changes the entire story.

PS: Sedai, Gilgamesh precedes The Odyssey.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Replay by Ken Grimwood
By Reason of Insanity by Shane Stevens
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
The Ramayana by Valmiki
I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
Making Movies
by Sidney Lumet
Fahrenheit 451
by Ray Bradbury

These are all my comfort blanket books, ones that I'd want with me if I was stranded and needed something to read over and over...which I have done with all of these books, and will continue to do.

I realized when making this list that all the big classics on my list I read when I was younger, but now as an adult I've been reading mostly YA novels. So, this is in order of when I first read them, to get an idea of my slow literary descent.

Anne of Green Gables series, by Lucy Maud Montgomery
Jude the Obscure, by Thomas Hardy
1984, by George Orwell
Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte
Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (I'm more than a little obsessed with her)
I Know This Much is True, by Wally Lamb
Ender's Game series, by Orson Scott Card (I'm gonna cheat and count an entire series as one book)
Harry Potter series, by JK Rowling
Persuasion, by Jane Austen
Hunger Games series, by Suzanne Collins

To Kill a Mockingbird ~ Harper Lee The book equivalent of my favorite holey sweater.
Breakfast of Champions ~ Kurt Vonnegut I couldn't live without a Vonnegut book and this is the one I would choose. I love Vonnegut because he has this way of fully bringing to life every single character in his novel in a way no other writer can. Even the briefest appearing characters exist for their own purpose and not for the sake of the novel.
Thank you for reminding me of these two books. I've been meaning to read them for years, and I think I need to finally set aside time to just do it.

The Grapes of Wrath by: John Steinbeck

The Catcher in the Rye by: J.D. Salinger

Lonesome Dove by: Larry McMurtry

Fahrenheit 451 by: Ray Bradbury

The Rabbit Angstrom Tetralogy (Rabbit, Run; Rabbit Redux; Rabbit is Rich; Rabbit at Rest) by: John Updike

The Stand by: Stephen King

The Border Trilogy (All the Pretty Horses; The Crossing; Cities of the Plain) by: Cormac McCarthy

The Sound and the Fury by: William Faulkner

American Gods by: Neil Gaiman

East of Eden by: John Steinbeck

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Replay by Ken Grimwood
By Reason of Insanity by Shane Stevens
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
The Ramayana by Valmiki
I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
Making Movies
by Sidney Lumet
Fahrenheit 451
by Ray Bradbury
The Haunting of Hill House is a fantastic book. I love Shirley Jackson. I have several of her short stories in various horror collections I have.

I haven't read much in absolute terms but I can name some works I'd want with me in an island:

Poemas Surdos, Edmundo Betencourt - Portuguese surrealist poetry from 20th century
Sonetos, Antero de Quental - Portuguese sonnets from the 19th century
O Bebedor Nocturno, Various authors - Beautiful poetry from cultures all around the world collected and translated to portuguese by Herberto Hélder
Sinais de Fogo, Jorge de Sena - Portuguese romance from the 20th century
The Complete Dramatic Works, Samuel Beckett - As the title says
The Waste Land, T. S. Elliot - English modernist poetry from the 20th century
Contos de Clarice Lispector, Clarice Lispector - Fables from portuguese brazilian writer Clarice Lispector (ukrainian born)
Amigo e Amiga, Maria Gabriela Llansol - Haven't read much from this author but I would take just about any book from this brilliant portuguese writer, love her style
O Livro do Desassossego, Fernando Pessoa - Haven't read anything from this author, I'm highly interested
Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy - Same as above
Whoa, another native Portuguese speaker. Since I don't like much non-genre literature (lacks the exotic appeal to me), and Portuguese speaking literature is pretty conventional, I haven't read anything that was first written in Portuguese that had a huge impact on me. I am Brazilian by the way.

Robert Musil - The Man Without Qualities
Marcel Proust - Swann's Way
Pablo Neruda - Poems of Pablo Neruda
Haruki Murakami - The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Jorge Luis Borges - Labyrinths
Bruno Schulz - Street of Crocodiles
Yukio Mishima - Confessions of a Mask
Juan Rulfo - Pedro Páramo
Fernando Pessoa - The Book of Disquiet
Naguib Mahfouz - Children of Gebelawi

Whoa, another native Portuguese speaker. Since I don't like much non-genre literature (lacks the exotic appeal to me), and Portuguese speaking literature is pretty conventional, I haven't read anything that was first written in Portuguese that had a huge impact on me. I am Brazilian by the way.
Strange, I see the exotic appeal the other way around, non-genre literature is much more appealing to me precisely because of how exotic and unconventional it can be. In fact that's one of the major criteria I used to form my list, you may not know some of the names I mentioned but if you search a bit you'll find that most of them are anything but "conventional" , specially Maria Gabriela Llansol and Edmundo Bettencourt (very unknown, but among the best portuguese writers IMO). There's an immense body of portuguese language literature, it's a major generalisation to say it's mostly conventional... there's styles and forms for every sensibility.

On another note there's another book I seriously want to check out, Picnic at Hanging Rock from Joan Lindsay. I saw the movie yesterday night and it's the first one ever to spice up my interest in its source literature, quite an haunting experience.

wow what a range of books! some are favourites of mine too, like Swan and Capt Spalding, I love Cormac McCarthy's writing. The Road is heartbreaking, Blood Meridien is probably the most poetically brutal book I've read.

Sedai and Guap - I used to read loads of sci-fi when I was a kid, mostly short stories but I remember reading The Martian Chronicles, and Azimov's foundation.
Sedai - I'm pretty sure I've read some of The Dark is Rising books too, they seem very familiar and it was the kid of thing I loved years ago. The Narnia books too.

kkl10 - I've never read any Portuguese fiction. English is bad at getting European literature translated. I had to wait a few years for The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon to be translated into English after my Spanish friend recommended it, and that was a major best seller in Spain.
I see Tyler has a Portuguese writer in his favourite list too - Fernando Pessoa - The Book of Disquiet

Tyler - I like Muramaki too

Cadra - lovely list. I have similar taste to you too. I could've had several Thomas Hardy books on my list. I cry when I read Jude the Obscure - the poor children and don't get me started on Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Winter T and Sci-Fi - did you listen to the original Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy radio series from BBC radio 4? The books came out of that . I know you wouldn't have listened at the time, only an old codger like me is old enough to have heard that back in the late 70s , but maybe you've listened elsewhere? It was groundbreaking at the time and everyone loved it.

kkl10 - I've never read any Portuguese fiction. English is bad at getting European literature translated. I had to wait a few years for The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon to be translated into English after my Spanish friend recommended it, and that was a major best seller in Spain.
I see Tyler has a Portuguese writer in his favourite list too - Fernando Pessoa - The Book of Disquiet
I see what you mean, it's indeed not easy to translate a book from one language to another without loosing some of the significant nuance of the language that contribute to the literary quality of the work, that's the reason why I also don't like to read translated works to portuguese I prefer to read them in their original language. Unfortunately my foreign language knowlege is pretty much limited to english and very little of french. I have started reading a portuguese translation of some Elegies by Friedrich Hölderlin many months ago but I just can't connect to it, it doesn't make any sense to read all that in portuguese, I wish I knew german (intend to learn it).

But if you can definitely check out The Book of Disquiet from Fernando Pessoa, it's great literature and hopefully there should be a not too bad english translation.

Winter T and Sci-Fi - did you listen to the original Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy radio series from BBC radio 4? The books came out of that . I know you wouldn't have listened at the time, only an old codger like me is old enough to have heard that back in the late 70s , but maybe you've listened elsewhere? It was groundbreaking at the time and everyone loved it.
Do you know where I could find it? I have heard the audiobook by Stephen Fry though, which was incredible.

Tyler - I like Muramaki too
I'm also rather new to Portugese literature. I have a couple of José Saramago's books in my watchlist. As for Murakami I'm planning to read all his novels. His prose is absolutely brilliant.

I have added quite a few books to my watchlist - Maldoror, some Bernhard. Milton's Paradise Lost and Boll's The Clown. Blood Meridian has been on my watchlist for a very long time. It won't be any more.

Do you know where I could find it? I have heard the audiobook by Stephen Fry though, which was incredible.
Good as it is, the Stephen Fry reading isn't a patch on the original series. The BBC often repeat it on Radio 4 Extra which is their vintage repeat channel, in fact the first series is on there now http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03v379k

Otherwise according to the BBC they're only available for paid for download on audible.co.uk. There are CD versions out there too if you read this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hit...(radio_series)

Strange, I see the exotic appeal the other way around, non-genre literature is much more appealing to me precisely because of how exotic and unconventional it can be. In fact that's one of the major criteria I used to form my list, you may not know some of the names I mentioned but if you search a bit you'll find that most of them are anything but "conventional" , specially Maria Gabriela Llansol and Edmundo Bettencourt (very unknown, but among the best portuguese writers IMO). There's an immense body of portuguese language literature, it's a major generalisation to say it's mostly conventional... there's styles and forms for every sensibility.
Ok. I was traumatized by portuguese literature in my high school, where I was forced to read a ton of book which I wasn't prepared to. Most Portuguese language literature I read, I think it was around 50 books, they were either retarded juvenile literature or boring but I was a teenager so I guess I never had the maturity to read serious literature at the time, at college, for some reason, I wasn't interested in literature, but I read a lot of other stuff (politics, economics, history, etc) in the 7 years since I finished highschool. Overall, my knowledge of Portuguese literature was so bad at the university entrance exams I did when I was 18 that it was my worst score. I never actually had a powerful emotional reaction from any of the few dozen portuguese language books I read, but that's mainly because I read to little and I did not have the maturity to better grasp them. And now I don't have the time to read as well.

I even remember a friend telling me that I was a real gaucho because I haven't read much of Erico Verissimo's work (I read only a couple of his novels, found'em boring):

I only found science fiction literature or Ayn Rand to be extremely entertaining, for either the crazy science fiction concepts or the crazy completely inhuman characters (in Ayn Rand's case). Well, that's the case of my "young adult" sensibilities.

Maybe in the near future I will delve deeper into literature, after I have more free time. I find that serious literature like Tolstoi to be much more time consuming than watching movies, TV or manga, so when I am time constrained I tend to focus on less time consuming entertainment.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

What a lovely juxtaposition that is, this being the funniest book I've ever read. Absurdities of technology, politic, reducing the big questions to jokes, all while being rather profound I felt; I feel sort of stupid for not having read the rest of them actually. Essentially, this book encapsulates my style of humor, and came at a point in my life where I was already laughing at all the things mocked in the book, so good timing or whatever, but still genius, and a wordsmith in comedy is a rare thing.
I read all the books in the series. They were the most addictive books I ever read. Though in terms of science fiction I strictly prefer Dune, Foundation and Nausicaa (because they were more powerful even though less entertaining).

PS: Sedai, Gilgamesh precedes The Odyssey.
The Illiad and The Odyssey were passed down by oral tradition for centuries before they became books around 550 BC. Writing was invented in 3,300 BC in mesopotamia, so literature is thousands of years older than Homer's books. Most of these earlier books were lost though. Also, you should note that what we understand by Western Civilization began to have a continuous history around 500 BC in the shores or the Aegean sea, so that The Iliad and The Odyssey represent the foundational works of literature in the Western tradition.

Gilgamesh is mesopotamian literature, part of the civilizations of the Ancient Near East. They are not strictly part of Western civilization as we usually conceive it though we may conceive the middle east to be another half of a larger Central Civilization, according to the work of some macrohistorians.

By the way, Homer was not a writer but more like a mythical figure that represents the collective efforts of many verbal storytellers who gradually composed the Illiad and The Odyssey.

I'm also rather new to Portugese literature. I have a couple of José Saramago's books in my watchlist. As for Murakami I'm planning to read all his novels. His prose is absolutely brilliant.

I have added quite a few books to my watchlist - Maldoror, some Bernhard. Milton's Paradise Lost and Boll's The Clown. Blood Meridian has been on my watchlist for a very long time. It won't be any more.
Add Erico Verissimo because he came from the same region of Brazil that I do.

Chappie doesn't like the real world

I've read a lot of Murakami now. His prose is beautiful, his characters complex and his stories intriguing. I very much recommend Kafka on the Shore.

Be a freak, like me too
The Young Girls - H. de Montherlant
The New Watch Dogs - S. Halimi
Justine, Or The Misfortunes Of Virtue - Marquis de Sade
Tender Is The Night - F. S. Fitzgerald
The Leopard - G. Tomasi di Lampedusa
The Catcher In The Rye - J. D. Salinger
Sculpting In Time - A. Tarkovsky
Notes On The Cinematographer - R. Bresson
My Monsters - D. Risi
Serial Killers - S. Bourgoin ( )