Actor Robert Culp dies

Tools    

Just saw Robert Culp died of an apparent heart attack outside his home. Most folks probably remember Culp as the ultra-cool tennis-playing spy teamed with comedian Bill Cosby in the I Spy TV series. But I remember him best as the ultra-cool Texas Ranger Hoby Gilman in his first TV Western series, Trackdown. Culp was the hippest cowboy on the screen with his turned up collar and rolled back shirt-cuffs. That series ran in 1957-1959 when I was 14-16 and studying cool. It was an entertaining series and Culp wrote some of the scripts. One episode introduced the cool Steve McQueen as bounty hunter Josh Randall, who was then spun off into another Western, Wanted: Dead or Alive. Culp was very much ahead of the times in some of the Westerns in which he appeared. He showed up once in the old Rawhide series (with cool Clint Eastwood) playing a former Civil War soldier who got hooked on morphine while recovering from his wounds. He joins the Rawhide drive and befriends a young cowboy. Trying to break his morphine habit, Culp gives the kid his stash and tells him not to give it back no matter how he begs. When the kid lives up to his promise when Culp is deep into the pains of withdrawal, Culp shoots and kills him. It was as good a portrayal of a junkie as I've ever seen.

Hey, Bob, you were the coolest, man! RIP.

LOS ANGELES — Robert Culp, the actor who teamed with Bill Cosby in the racially groundbreaking TV series "I Spy" and was Bob in the critically acclaimed sex comedy "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice," died Wednesday after collapsing outside his Hollywood home, his agent said. Culp was 79.

His manager, Hillard Elkins, said the actor was on a walk when he fell. He was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead just before noon. The actor's son "was told" he died of a heart attack, Elkins said, though police were unsure if the fall was medically related.

Los Angeles police Lt. Robert Binder said no foul play was suspected. Binder said a jogger found Culp, who apparently fell and struck his head.

Source: The Associated Press

I've seen a few of the old I Spy episodes... Culp was a good actor...

Rest In Peace

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

wasn't the music just the worst in those old shows, lol?
Hey, the I Spy theme was very cool compared to some of them out there at that time! Or some of the later tunes for Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, and absolutely the bottom of the barrel Petticoat Junction. The best theme song of all in that period had to be for the private detective show Peter Guinn, written and recorded by Henry Mancini as I recall. Guinn had real jazz by some of the best jazz musicians of the day in every episode.

Semper Fooey
How about that Batman theme, with those great lyrics?

Batman...Batman...Batman....

I always liked Robert Culp. The personification of 1960s cool.

It is a loos to the hollywood industry. I always remind him for his work in "Sunday in New York" . Wish him a happy journey to the heaven.