Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

1st Rewatch...the second and, for my money, best entry in the Pink Panther franchise with Peter Sellers at the top of his form. That scene in the billiards room with George Sanders and the scene in the nudist colony never get old.

Excellent movie from the Dardenne Brothers. Sweet & sad. Really enjoyed it.

Quite good. Lead actress from South Korea exceptionally good.

March 19, 2024

ARTHUR THE KING (2024)

Well, it's a trifle on the sentimental side, I guess. But you'd have to have a stone located where your heart should be if you're not at least a little bit moved. And this tale of a professional adventure runner named Michael Light (Mark Wahlberg), who is befriended by a sickly stray dog during his one big, important final race in South America. I don't really have much to say about it other than that I enjoyed it very much. Very good performances from Simu Liu, Nathalie Emmanuel and Ali Suliman as Wahlberg's teammates, Juliet Rylance as his wife... and let's have a great big round of hearty applause for Ukai as the mighty Arthur!

And on the home video front...

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (John Huston / 1948)
Johnny Guitar (Nicholas Ray / 1954)
The Searchers (John Ford / 1956)
Little Big Man (Arthur Penn / 1970)
Wyatt Earp (Lawrence Kasdan / 1994)

My adventures in the Wild West continue. This time I got a number of classics.

The great John Huston's The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is nothing short of brilliant, and Humphrey Bogart is absolutely spot-on (and increasingly scary) as Fred C. Dobbs.

Nicholas Ray's Johnny Guitar may have been a bit operatic and stylized for fans of more traditional Western fare during its initial release, but it proved to be highly influential further on down the trail. Joan Crawford and Sterling Hayden are wonderful, of course, and Mercedes McCambridge as Emma Small is one of cinema's great villainesses. (Check out her facial expression after she's set Crawford's saloon ablaze!)

I had seen John Ford's The Searchers before, having borrowed it a few years ago. It had actually taken me a while to warm up to, strangely enough. I can't tell if it was just that I was alienated by John Wayne's character Ethan Edwards, but after a couple more viewings the film's virtues have been made blindingly apparent to me. Ford's direction is damn near perfect, Monument Valley has never looked more gorgeous or imposing, and the battles and confrontations with the Comanche are thrilling and exhilarating, And John Wayne's character, although perhaps a tad alienating on first viewing, is wonderfully layered and complex and filled with fascinating contradictions, and it truly is a great performance on Wayne's part. ("What do you want me to do, draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me! Long as you live, don't ever ask me any more.")

I don't even know where to begin with Arthur Penn's Little Big Man. It's a very hard movie for me to adequately sum up, but overnight it's become one of my all-time favorites. Dustin Hoffman portrays the title character, born one Jack Crabb, and his many fascinating misadventures bouncing back and forth between the world of the Cheyenne people who adopted and raised him and the world of the white man from whence he originally came. Of course, there's always the possibility that everything we are told is ultimately a tall tale, or the confused ramblings of a senile 121-year-old man. Hoffman of course is great, but I also love the great Chief Dan George as Old Lodge Skins. I had already seen George as Lone Watie in Clint Eastwood's The Outlaw Josey Wales and been impressed with him. Here, as in the Eastwood movie, he's by turns warmly paternal, moving and tragic, and quite often very funny.

Lawrence Kasdan's Wyatt Earp, starring Kevin Costner in the title role, has a terribly unfair reputation as being the loser in the great box-office O.K. Corral shootout with George P. Cosmatos' Tombstone, starring Kurt Russell. Granted, Cosmatos' stylish slam-bang action Western is ultimately the better of the two, but Kasdan's moody, sprawling and uneven epic has actually aged a lot better over the years than people at the time might have guessed. Sure, Russell makes a far more dynamic Wyatt Earp than Costner, but I personally prefer Dennis Quaid's take on Doc Holliday to Val Kilmer's. Sure I think Kilmer's great, but Kilmer's Doc is more the dissolute yet supercool "rock star" take on the character. Quaid actually digs a bit deeper with the character, and his Doc is inflected with a lot more darkness, rage and inner turmoil. The barroom scene where Wyatt and Doc share a drink after Wyatt's second wife has attempted suicide, where Doc offers counsel with his own nihilist philosophy, is probably my favorite Wyatt/Doc barroom scene in any of the various Wyatt/Doc/O.K. Corral films that have come out over the past century. (And it's also a nice twist on the usual scenario of Wyatt playing "preacher" and trying to dissuade Doc from self-destruction.) Alas, Kasdan does not give Quaid's Doc a death scene to rival that of Kilmer's! Oh well...

Unknown Country (2022)

We’re told that we’re living in the ‘golden age of TV’ or the ‘Golden age of film’. I say we’re living in a golden age of cinematography. Andrew Hajek’s photography here is stunning. He captures the landscape of the Midwest all the way down to Texas as we follow Lily Gladstone’s character Tana, on a roadtrip to find a spot where her late Grandmother was photographed.

It’s clearly a personal film from writer director Morissa Maltz, and a very beautiful one. There’s not a great deal of plot to speak of. Just a journey. Gladstone is pretty great and very natural, and I’m sure this performance went some way in cementing her casting in Scorsese’s Killer of the Flower Moon. It reminded me of early Chloe Zhao films.

6.9/10

I enjoyed it, but I like Certain Women better with Gladstone. Have you seen it?

Amusing to know that Lily is related to former British PM Gladstone.

Bullitt (1968)

Just cool as heck. McQueen was such an icon. San Francisco and the car chase may be what this film is predominantly known for but it’s way more than that. Sharp dialogue and a clever twist play a part too.

And Michael Mann completely ripped the airport scene off for the climax of H.E.A.T.

8.1/10

Huge crush on Steve McQueen & this is my fave movie. Seen it a million times.

Interesting fact: all his clothes were made in Great Britain for this film. He loved British tweeds.

Ladyhawke (1985)

I certainly seem to be into my 80s stuff but was apprehensive about fantasy. However this is a great premise and acted wonderfully. Pfeiffer and Hauer are great. Matthew Broderick less so, I just think he's a dweebish actor and his voice grates and kinda lifts from the story which was told. A great romp and romantic tale otherwise.

I enjoyed it, but I like Certain Women better with Gladstone. Have you seen it?

Amusing to know that Lily is related to former British PM Gladstone.

[/center]

Bullitt (1968)

Just cool as heck. McQueen was such an icon. San Francisco and the car chase may be what this film is predominantly known for but it’s way more than that. Sharp dialogue and a clever twist play a part too.

And Michael Mann completely ripped the airport scene off for the climax of H.E.A.T.

8.1/10

Huge crush on Steve McQueen & this is my fave movie. Seen it a million times.

Interesting fact: all his clothes were made in Great Britain for this film. He loved British tweeds.
Did not know any of that. i'll have to watch Certain Women

Late Night with the Devil

I was kind of hoping this movie would be diabolically clever - and as far as this type of movie goes, it's pretty good, actually.
The "found footage" genre find new life with this clever film from Cameron and Colin Cairnes, in which a "master tape" is discovered from a fateful late-night show broadcast live on Halloween in 1977.
David Dastmalchian plays the late show host of Night Owls with Jack Delroy, which in this fictional universe finds itself embroiled in a heated ratings race at a time when Johnny Carson still reigned supreme.
To reveal more about plot details would be... a wicked thing to do, so I won't.
But the film works as more than just a horror film, having some clever ideas on things like the price of fame, the overall exploitative nature of reality-based television, and the place where the US was in the late 70s (the Cairnes brothers are Australian, and this movie, although set in the US, was filmed Down Under).
Try to catch it in cinemas if you can, before it goes to Shudder sometime next month - the movie can really come alive with the right audience!
I really want to see this. For some reason, its not playing in my county and I didn't want to drive to far to see it. Let's see what next weekend brings.

And on the home video front...

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (John Huston / 1948)
Johnny Guitar (Nicholas Ray / 1954)
The Searchers (John Ford / 1956)
Little Big Man (Arthur Penn / 1970)
Wyatt Earp (Lawrence Kasdan / 1994)

My adventures in the Wild West continue. This time I got a number of classics.

The great John Huston's The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is nothing short of brilliant, and Humphrey Bogart is absolutely spot-on (and increasingly scary) as Fred C. Dobbs.

Nicholas Ray's Johnny Guitar may have been a bit operatic and stylized for fans of more traditional Western fare during its initial release, but it proved to be highly influential further on down the trail. Joan Crawford and Sterling Hayden are wonderful, of course, and Mercedes McCambridge as Emma Small is one of cinema's great villainesses. (Check out her facial expression after she's set Crawford's saloon ablaze!)

I had seen John Ford's The Searchers before, having borrowed it a few years ago. It had actually taken me a while to warm up to, strangely enough. I can't tell if it was just that I was alienated by John Wayne's character Ethan Edwards, but after a couple more viewings the film's virtues have been made blindingly apparent to me. Ford's direction is damn near perfect, Monument Valley has never looked more gorgeous or imposing, and the battles and confrontations with the Comanche are thrilling and exhilarating, And John Wayne's character, although perhaps a tad alienating on first viewing, is wonderfully layered and complex and filled with fascinating contradictions, and it truly is a great performance on Wayne's part. ("What do you want me to do, draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me! Long as you live, don't ever ask me any more.")

I don't even know where to begin with Arthur Penn's Little Big Man. It's a very hard movie for me to adequately sum up, but overnight it's become one of my all-time favorites. Dustin Hoffman portrays the title character, born one Jack Crabb, and his many fascinating misadventures bouncing back and forth between the world of the Cheyenne people who adopted and raised him and the world of the white man from whence he originally came. Of course, there's always the possibility that everything we are told is ultimately a tall tale, or the confused ramblings of a senile 121-year-old man. Hoffman of course is great, but I also love the great Chief Dan George as Old Lodge Skins. I had already seen George as Lone Watie in Clint Eastwood's The Outlaw Josey Wales and been impressed with him. Here, as in the Eastwood movie, he's by turns warmly paternal, moving and tragic, and quite often very funny.

Lawrence Kasdan's Wyatt Earp, starring Kevin Costner in the title role, has a terribly unfair reputation as being the loser in the great box-office O.K. Corral shootout with George P. Cosmatos' Tombstone, starring Kurt Russell. Granted, Cosmatos' stylish slam-bang action Western is ultimately the better of the two, but Kasdan's moody, sprawling and uneven epic has actually aged a lot better over the years than people at the time might have guessed. Sure, Russell makes a far more dynamic Wyatt Earp than Costner, but I personally prefer Dennis Quaid's take on Doc Holliday to Val Kilmer's. Sure I think Kilmer's great, but Kilmer's Doc is more the dissolute yet supercool "rock star" take on the character. Quaid actually digs a bit deeper with the character, and his Doc is inflected with a lot more darkness, rage and inner turmoil. The barroom scene where Wyatt and Doc share a drink after Wyatt's second wife has attempted suicide, where Doc offers counsel with his own nihilist philosophy, is probably my favorite Wyatt/Doc barroom scene in any of the various Wyatt/Doc/O.K. Corral films that have come out over the past century. (And it's also a nice twist on the usual scenario of Wyatt playing "preacher" and trying to dissuade Doc from self-destruction.) Alas, Kasdan does not give Quaid's Doc a death scene to rival that of Kilmer's! Oh well...
Little Big Man and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre are favorites of mine. I have never seen Wyatt Earp.

I forgot the opening line.

By Studio and or Graphic Artist - IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=73965154

Bottoms - (2023)

This was great! The kind of comedy where you pay full attention because you don't want to miss the next great moment of comedy, which will usually only be one moment away. It exists in it's own world of complete absurdity - a certain kind that strikes a balance with a semblance of reality while still allowing itself to do absolutely anything. I love Ayo Edebiri - she was the best of the ensemble that made up Theater Camp (another good 2023 comedy) and after seeing her here I'm fully onboard. She's great, and very funny. A fight club set up by girls in regard to empowerment (while in all actuality it's to help them hook up with cheerleaders), and how that goes awry, makes for some dangerous areas to tread which these ladies stampede through with abandon. Best out-and-out comedy of 2023 for me (true story BlackBerry in a different category so I don't have to choose which to rate higher.) A blast.

8/10

By May be found at the following website: http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/00859c69, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=48309118

After Life - (1998)

People go through a certain stage in the afterlife where they get to choose their most cherished memory, see it re-enacted and filmed, then watch the film - taking with them the only moment they'll retain into eternity. Which memory would you choose? Absolutely amazing stuff from Hirokazu Kore-eda - full review here, on my watchlist thread.

9/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Eh, more like he ripped off Shakti...

The Simpsons Movie (2007)

I thought it was time to try and introduce my daughter to some of the characters and humor in The Simpsons, as she mainly watches Netflix and Youtube content these days. The show has been very hit-and-miss over the years, but the movie remains hilarious to me.
haha It's a classic, but I find the series funnier, especially the older seasons.

I really want to see this. For some reason, its not playing in my county and I didn't want to drive to far to see it. Let's see what next weekend brings.

It's a Shudder film so I doubt it's going to get an international release...it's barely getting a national one here.

Late Night with the Devil (2024)

Man the Etsy shops are going to have a field day making merch from this film. Going into the film cold helps, because I didn't know how short the film was...then again much like up the opening in this film just breaks you. Major props to Michael Ironside doing the early narration as the world is established in that opening prologue.

The rest of the film takes place during the course of a TV episode of a 70's talk show on Halloween. The host troubled by failing ratings and personal issues has a special show lined up with four quests. A psychic, a skeptic, an author and a jazz singer. David Dashmachin (Oppenheimer, The Suicide Squad, Angry Video Game Nerd the Movie) stars as a Dick Cavett type of host.

I'm not going to say this is a perfect film, had it used all practical effects like the Exorcist than I would say it's perfect...but it's close to perfection. This film has so many visceral unsettling things that are very simple and very effective. Dashmachin demostrates a tremendous amount of restraint in a roe that could have gone camp but is balanced so well. He proves he can be a leading man here not just the creepy supporting character.

I think a lot of casting agents are going to be grabbing actors from this film. Ingrid Torellio in what is her debut film is one of several standout performances including Jack's sidekick Rhys Auteri and Georgina Haig who play Jacks wife just nail their small parts. This film is a love letter to character actors as nobody feels like a movie star in this.

But this is a film where several aesthetics are really going to stick with you. The tone/tempo/look of this film are first rate not just for a low budget film but for any film. I don't know if a film meant tor Shudder can get a Best Picture Oscar nom...but I can see the grass roots campaign begin.

Poor Things (2023)

Gave this one a try after all of the Oscar nominations and wins, and I am certainly glad I did. The trailer doesn't give you much to go on, but I recommend this to anyone above the age of 18 haha...think of it as a twist on a Frankenstein kind of story.

Everything is so simplistic yet complicated. Immature, raw, analytical...from the comedy to the philosophical elements. It is a bit longer than it probably needs to be at 2+ hours, but it's such a uniquely strange movie that should be seen by all film fans. Delighted!

It's a Shudder film so I doubt it's going to get an international release...it's barely getting a national one here.
I don't understand why/how people get the idea that, just because a movie happens to get picked up by a streamer for the US, that streamer somehow controls what happens to the movie in the rest of the world.

Here's what really happened with Late Night with the Devil: The movie was produced by Image Nation Abu Dhabi and Spooky Pictures; it premiered at SXSW almost a year ago, to good reviews. It played a few other festivals and got some awards. It wasn't until last November that IFC Films and Shudder announced they had acquired the rights to the movie covering North America (US and Canada), the UK and Ireland.

Don't know who's got rights to the movie in the rest of the world; the movie relies to some degree on knowledge/familiarity with US television programming, so it's anyone's guess how well that translates for audiences in other countries. However, imdb.com does show it's got a release date in New Zealand, Australia, Turkey, Spain, Argentina and Brazil.

I don't understand why/how people get the idea that, just because a movie happens to get picked up by a streamer for the US, that streamer somehow controls what happens to the movie in the rest of the world.

Because international distribution is not guaranteed and it's unlikely for IFC.Shudder films.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/...ref_=bo_se_r_1
Stopmotion - barely released

Birth/Rebirth - nothing

Skinamarink
just got a Russia release and basically nothing else

Because international distribution is not guaranteed and it's unlikely for IFC.Shudder films.
And I just explained that IFC/Shudder films just picked up the distribution rights for a limited number of territories. So what happens in the rest of the world doesn't have to do with who's got the rights in the US/UK.

And I just explained that IFC/Shudder films just picked up the distribution rights for a limited number of territories. So what happens in the rest of the world doesn't have to do with who's got the rights in the US/UK.

What do you think it was like some sort of menu option for international releases. Oh we'll take a small domestic release and huge global one. If a major distributor didn't pick up the releases during it's festival times the chances of it getting an international release are very slim. And I don't know what country the person who asked about this film is from but they can tell you if they actually get IFC films released in their country.