The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Ahhh, HALLOWEEN!

This would have made my list if I hadn't felt morally obligated to put a ton of Gene Wilder and Mel Brooks movies on my list. (Somebody had to represent.) I find it a bit disheartening that many of the folks who say this film is hackneyed or cliché probably did not see it when it was new in the late '70s, when it was fresh and not already followed by tons of stupid sequels and bad knock-offs later. I'm surprised that it doesn't occur to some people that the film that starts a trend isn't cliché -- it's all the imitators that are cliché.

Plus, seeing a then-groundbreaking horror movie in a crowded local theater with a bunch of shrieking teenage girls changes EVERYTHING.

ANYWAY, having said that, it's time for another Austruck-the-Old-Gal story of seeing this movie in the theater as a first-run release:

I was in high school. It was near Halloween. Three of us went to see this movie together, in my friend's car. We parked way far out from the theater (it was crowded -- weekend night and all that), and, as was ingrained in all three of us, we locked the car doors so nobody'd steal stuff.

Those of you who've seen the movie: You remember the scene where the girl goes out to the car in the garage and gets in WITHOUT LOOKING IN THE BACK SEAT, right? (WHO does that, by the way? Oh wait, girls who are in movies in 1978 before this became cliché, that's who!) And, of course, the car is MYSTERIOUSLY UNLOCKED, so everyone in the theater gasped and held in their breath. We all knew. She was doomed. She hadn't noticed the unlocked car door, and she hadn't checked the back seat. Plus, she was scantily dressed.

Strike three.

ANYWAY, the three of us survived the movie, but by the time we filed out of the theater, used the restrooms and headed out to the parking lot to the car, most people had left. We walked that long walk to our car, and when we got there, the driver's side door WAS UNLOCKED. This, despite us all remembering CLEARLY that we had locked all four car doors (in the days before power locks). Let's face it: We were seventeen years old. We were freaked out, and alone in a parking lot in the dark on Halloween weekend. Yes, we whimpered a little. Okay, a lot.

And then we checked that back seat for MICROBES. And all three of us got down on our bellies and checked UNDER the car. And we opened the trunk and checked the trunk. We ran AROUND the car and met at three points around the car to be sure Michael Myers wasn't somehow following us around the car, crouched down.

Let's just say we couldn't drive home fast enough. Or lock the doors to our homes fast enough.

Geez, I'm getting creeped out just thinking about it.

So glad this one made the list. It's not cliché. It's iconic.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
MY LIST
2. The Last Picture Show
+
3. Halloween
+
4. Days of Heaven

6. Fantastic Planet

9. House
+
14. Dog Day Afternoon
+
15. Five Easy Pieces
+
17. Eraserhead

18. Dirty Harry

24. The Long Goodbye
+
25. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
+

MOVIES IVE SEEN
Breaking Away
+
Autumn Sonata
+
MASH

Mean Streets

Paper Moon

Don't Look Now
+
The Muppet Movie

Little Big Man
+
Badlands

Picnic at Hanging Rock

Serpico
+
Manhattan

Cries and Whispers

The Outlaw Josey Wales
-
Kramer vs. Kramer

Nashville

Cabaret

Carrie

Network
+
The French Connection

Annie Hall

Harold and Maude

Stalker

The Conversation
+

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I was going to just keep quiet because as we keep getting higher on the list, I keep moaning about not being thrilled with the choices. But Austruck's post makes me at least want to comment on the fact that Halloween was cliched and ridiculous, and I saw it at the theatre when it came out too. I'd already seen Silent Night, Bloody Night and Black Christmas and hundreds of other horrors where someone was trying to get away from a mad killer. But I will give Halloween credit.for being intense enough in the last half hour that you could forget about logic. I think nowadays people prefer their horrors to not have any logic, whether universal or internal. They just want a visceral experience like a nightmare. They'll complain about logic in rom coms or musicals - if they watch any.

I remember when I went to the drive-in with my brother to see The Conversation, and he said he was being driven insane by the constant refrain of ""when the red, red robin". It did meticulously recreate the boring life of a professional eavesdropper, but there were cinematic flourishes with the foggy dream sequence and the almost-surrealistic horror stuff involving the toilet. It also had the tables turned on the protagonist leading up to one of the most-paranoid endings of all-time. Hackman was great, as always, but I still didn't consider voting for it.

I'm still stubbornly planning on getting nine more of mine to turn up!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Autumn Sonata
+
Cries and Whispers

Stalker
Is it making any sense?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I think The Conversation is a really great film. It was number 4 on my list. Harry Caul's increasing personal paranoia is reflective of the whole development and use of surveillence in the 70s. Walter Murch's editing and soundscapes are great too

Top 16 Prediction
1. Jaws
2. The Godfather
3. Taxi Driver
4. Chinatown
5. Clockwork Orange
6. Apocalypse Now
7. Star Wars
8. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
9. Godfather Part 2
10. Alien
11. Rocky
12. The Exorcist
13. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
14. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
15. Barry Lyndon
16. Young Frankenstein

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Not that anyone cares, but I've had seven already, so I'm only expecting eight more.
3 Little Big Man
4 Cabaret
8 American Graffiti
10 Deliverance
14 The Outlaw Josey Wales
17 Straw Dogs
21 Harold and Maude

I have 17 that have made it, 4 that will probably all be in the top 10 (one is unsure ), and 3 that definitely won't make it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Conversation was another movie that I strongly considered putting on my list, and it was on and off my list several times before my final list was submitted, but ultimately it ended up getting cut. I watched (or re-watched) several similar movies around the same time that I watched The Conversation, and some of the others made my list instead. But they were all great movies, so on a different day, my list could very possibly have had a different result.

I saw Halloween when it was originally released back in 1978, which probably makes it the first real horror movie that I ever saw. I was probably way too young for that type of movie at the time, and it could possibly be the reason why I hate horror movies today. (I don't think it was anything about this specific movie that I hated. Just the genre in general.)

My top 16 prediction:

1.Taxi Driver
2.The Godfather
3.Jaws
4.Star Wars
5.Chinatown
6.Apocalypse Now
7.A Clockwork Orange
8.One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest
9.The Godfather Part 2
10.Alien
11.The Exorcist
12.Rocky
13.Barry Lyndon
14.Close Encounters
15.Monty Python and the Holy Grail
16.Young Frankenstein

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Conversation and Halloween are both fantastic films. Definitely one of the best sets yet.

Top 16 prediction:

1. Taxi Driver
2. The Godfather
3. Chinatown
4. Jaws
5. A Clockwork Orange
6. Apocalypse Now
7. Star Wars
8. Alien
9. Rocky
10. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
11. The Godfather Part 2
12. The Exorcist
13. Young Frankenstein
14. Barry Lyndon
15. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
16. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Neither were on my list. Halloween has never really done anything for me. No doubt hugely influential, it's just not a film I've ever found particularly interesting. Even though I expected it to be on this list, I am surprised it made it as high as it did.

I remember liking The Conversation a lot. But its been quite a while since I last saw it.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Seriously. I had it really high on my list, and the fact that it doesn't show up at all makes me very sad.

Amarcord must have been in the 102-105 range
Probably. I mean, you've been so spot on with all your predictions, so far.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Well, if one were spot on with their predictions, there's not much to predict. This is why some of us like to know SC as being a genius.

I will reveal #103-#130 on Friday sometime, after #11 and #12. But if you go back to the beginning of the countdown, you'll remember that #101 and #102 were already announced, as they were in a numerical tie with #100 and #99. I named them when I went through the tie-breaking process.

Murder by Death and Coffy, for anyone who forgot.