The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yay! Glad to see THE JERK on the list. It didn't make my own list, but that's mostly because I had too many Gene Wilder movies to fit in there. The 1970s were a busy decade for ol' Gene.

Like so many of these movies, I saw THE JERK in the theater. Something about comedies makes them prime candidates for viewing in a theater with other people. Collective laughter is so much more fun.

And, back in those days, Steve Martin was ALL the rage. He was a hot ticket on the standup comedy circuit, playing huge venues by this point. I was fortunate to have seen him twice a few years before this, in small venues (college gymnasiums), and once I even got to interact with him because of something stupid I did during the show. He was doing this bit where he pulls out a small Instamatic camera, holds it up, and takes a flash picture of the audience. Then he says, "You people get to see a show. All *I* have are memories."

Well, everyone back then had most of Steve's routines memorized (from having seen them on TV or from having bought his albums), and I knew what the camera bit meant. We had been warned that no flash photography was allowed (and this in the days before Photoshop to fix a badly lit picture). But I'd sneaked in my own Instamatic camera and as soon as Steve whipped his camera out, I got out mine. My idea was to take my own flash picture as soon as he took his, and then I'd get a picture of Steve in action and no one would be the wiser. (We were about 10 rows back from the front.)

However, my timing was just a little bit off ... and my flash went off in direct response to Steve's flash.

Everyone burst out laughing, two security guards (one at each end of our row) appeared almost out of nowhere, and Steve yelled from the stage, "GUARDS! SEIZE HER!" in his best melodramatic voice.

Everyone burst out laughing again, and although the guards *did* start into the row from each end, I had already sat down (it was dark), and they didn't really know who had taken the picture. And so I got to keep it.

--

The next year two of us went to see Steve again, and this time we had front row seats. We had a T-shirt made for him that said, "OH NO! I'VE GOT HAPPY FEET!" (remember, I was about 17 years old... no accounting for teenage tastes). At one point during the show we just stood up, moved to the front of the stage, and said, "Steve! We have a present for you!" and handed the T-shirt up to him.

He held it up, told everyone what it said, shuffled his feet around a little, and then cavalierly tossed the T-shirt over his shoulder onto the floor behind him, saying smarmily, "Thank you for the LOVELY gift. I'll cherish it always."

We were thrilled.

--

I'm trying to think of a comedian now who is as popular as Martin was back then in the late '70s, but I can't think of one that compares. He was THE comedian of the time -- on TV everywhere, on SNL a lot, putting out comedy albums (I have most of them on vinyl), and then THE JERK came out. At the time it was a lot like MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL: Everyone could quote huge chunks of dialogue from THE JERK.

And I bet a bunch of you here, even you young'uns, have heard jokes from THE JERK and have never known where they came from.

Martin's humor may have calmed down and matured over the years, but those of us who grew up in his heyday still have a soft spot for the frenetic, goofy wild and crazy guy Martin was when he first hit it big.

--

P.S. Last year Yoda and my other kids got me tickets to see Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers live here in Pittsburgh. It was a marvelous evening, and Martin's humor, though still subdued compared to THE JERK, was going full tilt. So glad to see he hasn't lost his edge... and SO GLAD to see THE JERK on this list up this high.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've seen fifteen now. Five Easy Pieces was on my list, coming in at number 15. A great performance from Mr. Jack.

Now there is NO hope for Wonka.

The Jerk is not anywhere close to my favorite Steve Martin movie, but it is wonderful, and distills some of the bits and attitudes from his legendary stand-up routines. Of the four Steve Martin/Carl Reiner collaborations from the beginning of Steve's film career, I would put The Jerk only third...

1. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
2. All of Me
3. The Jerk
4. The Man with Two Brains

But it's still hilarious to me, and one of the better comedies of the 1970s. Not among the very best for me, which is why three others made my list of twenty-five in front of it and it might have been the fifth or sixth or so I got to....but I'm happy it made the group cut, and in the middle of the pack, too.

Much more Steve Martin HERE.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	jerk.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	16604  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Holden, I have to agree that DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID is just a MARVELOUS movie. I find it holds up really well, and even the cuts between old and new scenes hold up a lot better than I would have expected. It didn't really hit people the way the goofy Martin stuff did, though, and never took off the way THE JERK did.

But I like it a lot better too.

Thanks for the anecdote Austruck. Always good to hear why theee things are so personal for people. I was not discovering Martin until the late 80's, early 90's but he has always been one of my favorite comedians. He had a TV special that me and my buddy used to watch it over and over when I was 12ish. The main thing I remember is a high dive bit. I would love to find that. He certainly has had some misses over the past twenty years. His 70's and 80's stuff is priceless to me though. Incidentally did you catch him on 30 Rock for a few episodes a bit back? Felt like the old Steve. Good stuff.

A system of cells interlinked
Another one that almost made my list! I haven't seen it in a while, although I own it, of course...

I haven't seen The Jerk and Five Easy Pieces was ok, but I didn't love it.

Thanks for the anecdote Austruck. Always good to hear why theee things are so personal for people. I was not discovering Martin until the late 80's, early 90's but he has always been one of my favorite comedians. He had a TV special that me and my buddy used to watch it over and over when I was 12ish. The main thing I remember is a high dive bit. I would love to find that. He certainly has had some misses over the past twenty years. His 70's and 80's stuff is priceless to me though. Incidentally did you catch him on 30 Rock for a few episodes a bit back? Felt like the old Steve. Good stuff.
You're in luck, as a year or two ago they released all of his early TV work in a boxed set, called simply Steve Martin: The Television Stuff. It includes a classic stand-up set when he was at the apex of his '70s popularity, as well as all four of the TV specials he did for NBC. If memory serves the diving bit was from the third of the specials, "Comedy is Not Pretty"? But whichever one it was, it'll be in that set.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv stuff.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	16605  

Holden, is it weird if I tell you I love you. So flippin funny. I am headed to Amazon right now, the only thing that can stop me is sticker shock.

I love The Jerk it was #19 on my list.

Austruck, great post about your experiences with Steve Martin, I enjoyed reading it! We must be about the same age, I have some of the same memories of Martin.

I remember being in high school and a friend had Steve Martin's comedy album, Let's Get Small. We must have listened to that a 100 times. The bit about being pulled over by the cops, and asked 'are you small'....still cracks me up just to think about it.

I seen The Jerk at a theater, you're so right that an audience that is pumped to see a movie by Steve Martin who was the hottest comic in the country at the time was riotous. The audience went wild. Steve Martin was big every-time he was on Saturday Night Live it was a big deal!

The Jerk was #19 on my list.

I have only seen it once. I enjoyed it, although I wasn't thrilled with the last act, as I remember. I honestly don't know if it would still hold up with me now, but it was only a couple of years ago that I saw it. I like Steve Martin and I needed a movie on my list and I wanted to help the movie get on the official list, so I put it on my list.

ON MY LIST:

4. Rocky II
8. Mad Max
15. Little Big Man
17. The Muppet Movie
19. The Jerk

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched both "The Jerk" and "Five Easy Pieces" in preparation for this list, but neither movie made my list.

I usually like Steve Martin, but I thought "The Jerk" was stupid and unfunny, and I can't understand what many people find funny about that movie. If I'm looking for a good Steve Martin movie, I would much rather watch "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" (1982), "All of Me" (1984), or even his "King Tut" routine.

(Here's a link to a better and longer version.)
https://screen.yahoo.com/king-tut-000000724.html

On the other hand, "Five Easy Pieces" was a pretty good movie, but it just wasn't good enough to make my list. But the diner scene in "Five Easy Pieces" was funnier than the whole movie "The Jerk".

not crazy about five easy pieces, but i'm fine with it's inclusion.

not sure i've ever seen the jerk in full, but it's one of my dad's favorite comedies so I saw scenes from it all the time growing up. can't really say for sure, but i think i really like it and i've always loved Steve Martin.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I watched The Jerk a few times at the theatre when it came out and a few times in recent years too. I still like it. Sure, it can't be so funny all the time, but it's even weirder then. I showed it to Sarah and she was laughing out loud. She had to buy some of Steve Martin's old records. For me it's a solid
movie, probably not as funny as I originally thought, but with many scenes I dearly love. "He hates these cans!" "Good Lord - I've heard about this - cat juggling! Could there be a God that would let this happen?" Glad to see that enough people still have a sense of humor. Still never considered it for the list.
Five Easy Pieces (Bob Rafelson, 1970)
- Nicholson takes his George Hanson character from Easy Rider and finely-delineates him into one of the scummiest, uncaring characters of all time. Of course, Nicholson is provided with awesome fodder for his performance: there's the "chicken salad sandwich scene", along with the sex scene with Sally Struthers, the beating and cussing in the car, the bowling alley scene, Nicholson barking at a dog and jumping on the back of a pick-up truck to play the piano, the "pompous celibate" scene, the beautiful coda to the oilfield scene where Billy Green Bush gets arrested, the scene where Nicholson cries in front of his father who's suffering from a stroke and cannot react, and the incredible finale involving the truck driving north. Karen Black probably gives her greatest performance, and Helena Kallianotes is hilarious in all her scenes about cleanliness.
I've known people like the Jack Nicholson character in Five Easy Pieces, but he's far-more interesting and entertaining than they were. People seem to keep saying that they don't like the film because he's a rotten character, it's plotless or has no ending, but aside from everything else, it has a great script which explains the character quite well when it brings him to his family home. He doesn't get a traditional comeuppance at the end, but that's part of its genius. He's going to a place "cold as hell" with nothing but the clothes on his back. His comeuppance is that he's being exiled from those who love him. He wiil probably never be happy and will never make anyone else happy, so he'd better keep moving until he falls off the edge of the earth. More to say, but I can save it. You might not believe it, but no, I didn't have it on my list. I thought The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz needed my one point more,

You're in luck, as a year or two ago they released all of his early TV work in a boxed set, called simply Steve Martin: The Television Stuff. It includes a classic stand-up set when he was at the apex of his '70s popularity, as well as all four of the TV specials he did for NBC. If memory serves the diving bit was from the third of the specials, "Comedy is Not Pretty"? But whichever one it was, it'll be in that set.
I have the vinyl albums from back in the day... and...

my awesome kids got me that Steve Martin boxed set! (Not sure if it was for Christmas or my birthday.) They know me all too well.