The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I figured Teeter would have Rocky II.

Still don't know who had it second on their list, though.

I like Depp's Wonka.

But then I seem to be among the few Tim Burton fans around here.
I do too. I like it's message about creativity.

I actually really like the Tim Burton version, too. Haven't watched it in a few years, but I saw it several times.

I figured Teeter would have Rocky II.

Still don't know who had it second on their list, though.

It was Rhys who had Rocky II as their number two.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rhys.png
Views:	523
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	16602  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Serpico was no.18 on my list. I like the mood of that film , it reflects that era really well.

Not sure now if any martial arts films are going to be on the list. Better had be cos I got 5 on mine!

Maybe I was tired or preoccupied when I watched Serpico, but I was fairly underwhelmed. I think Dog Day Afternoon, the other Lumet-Pacino collaboration from the 70's, is far superior.

I loved the first half of Picnic at Hanging Rock, which was haunting, mysterious, dreamy, ethereal (to borrow an adjective from honeykid), but, during the increasingly dull second half, I found myself daydreaming about how much more awesome the intriguing premise would have been if someone like Lynch or Jodorowsky had directed it. I like that the mystery remained unsolved, but I guess I was expecting a different kind of movie. After all, I initially watched it after seeing its inclusion on some "Weirdest Movies of All-Time" list, so I expected the movie to be, you know, weirder. I wanted hallucinations and dancing dwarfs, damn it!

Our final 54 (no order)
The Godfather
The Godfather 2
Cabaret
Jaws
Chinatown
Star Wars
A Clockwork Orange
Network
Dog Day Afternoon
Young Frankenstein
Amarcord
Blazing Saddles
Halloween
Five Easy Pieces
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Taxi Driver
Apocalypse Now
The Long Goodbye
3 Women
Nashville
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The Conversation
Rocky
Patton
Annie Hall
Manhattan
Kramer vs. Kramer
Cries and Whispers
Harold and Maude
The Deer Hunter
The Exorcist
American Graffiti
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Outlaw Josey Wales
High Plains Drifter
Rocky Horror Picture Show
The French Connection
Days of Heaven
Eraserhead
Barry Lyndon
Alien
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
Dirty Harry
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
A Woman Under the Influence
Stalker
The Warriors
Mirror
Life of Brian
El Topo
Solaris
The Jerk
Get Carter
Kudos for putting this together. I think the rest of the countdown is going to look quite similar to your hypothesized list, but I disagree about a few of your guesses. I like The Rocky Horror Picture Show, but it's probably already missed its opportunity to show up on the countdown. Same goes for 3 Women, The Jerk, El Topo, possibly Get Carter, and, I fear, High Plains Drifter. I'll also be a little surprised (albeit pleasantly) to see Amarcord at this point.

However, I have no idea what movies I'd choose to replace those guesses. Your worry about Willy Wonka not showing up is probably unfounded, since the movie is so beloved by many that I can't imagine it not making the countdown, especially when The Muppets Movie made it. Carrie is probably too popular not to make it. I know several people on here really like Dawn of the Dead, so I expect to see it show up at some point. I think Enter the Dragon and Deliverance are more likely to make the countdown than a few of your guesses. And I'll be severely disappointed if Aguirre, the Wrath of God is the only Herzog to make the countdown. I've already lost hope in Stroszek and his lesser known films of the decade, but I'm still holding onto a small glimmer of hope that Nosferatu the Vampyre will soon be making an appearance.

I think Rocky Horror Picture Show and The Jerk are definitely coming.

Kudos for putting this together. I think the rest of the countdown is going to look quite similar to your hypothesized list, but I disagree about a few of your guesses. I like The Rocky Horror Picture Show, but it's probably already missed its opportunity to show up on the countdown. Same goes for 3 Women, The Jerk, El Topo, possibly Get Carter, and, I fear, High Plains Drifter. I'll also be a little surprised (albeit pleasantly) to see Amarcord at this point.
I have hope 3 Women will make it.

Al Pacino, not Dusty. Dustin Hoffman and Sidney Lumet only made the one film together, the lackluster Family Business (1989). Lumet and Sean Connery made five films together, three of which were in the 1970s.
Thanks for quoting my mistake, that way everyone can see it even though I've already fixed it.

Hoffman was on such a hot streak back then, though, that maybe he played Al Pacino playing Sepico, as well as Sonny in Dog Day Afternoon. Hell, maybe Al Pacino doesn't exist at all. He's always been Dustin Hoffman. There's definitely a resemblance:

Mind = Blown

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
And the way Al Pacino's appearance changed... Almost like someone else.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Regarding Raul's guess list, I think there's at least 10 solid question marks on it. I think Deliverance is a lock, and that What's Up, Doc?, and Enter the Dragon probably make it. Three that I think could be surprises are Three Days of the Condor, Dawn of the Dead, and Smokey and the Bandit. I'm pretty sure my #8 won't make it, but I tend to underestimate my choices. That's not on Raul's list either.

Edit: just saw Captain's remark about Nosferstu; I'd like to see that make it and I think it could

Rocky II would also have been number 2 on my list if not for one of the most influential soundtracks (at least in my life) of all time. I'm kinda afraid now that its not going to make it though. But yeah Rocky one and two are the sh*t. "Anyone who says differently is selling something."

Now Dawn of the Dead will be very high I predict. And Enter the Dragon better be on here or I quit. I don't think I'm kidding either.

I WANT TWO MORE MOVIES!

I really, really, really just want two more movies right now for some reason.