Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Eddie the Eagle (2016)

While this film never really deviated from the "underdog sports movie" formula, Taron Egerton and Hugh Jackman both gave very solid performances, and the movie had a lot of heart.

Spotlight (2015)

One of those movies that takes on a very interesting subject and executes it rather uninterestingly... The story is important, but it's kind of funny when movies take up subjects like this, shining the spotlight on a subject that had its subject shined upon already in another form of media. I mean, shouldn't they do more with the story than gather a great team of film people and just go from A to B?

That also leads up to a question that always frustrates me... How much should a subject weigh in on a rating of a film? I mean, I know must people would say something along the lines of "it's not the subject itself, but how the subject is presented, worked with and executed". I agree, but still you can't help but be affected by movies with heavy and/or important subjects and sometimes it makes you question what rating it really deserves.

This movie and Citizenfour are two examples of movies, one fiction on fact and one fact on fact, where I feel like the actual filmmaking is very straightforward and simple, but somehow feels bigger because of the subject. So yeah, I'm gonna to say this was fairly good going on really good, but it's too straightforward and standard, despite having much talent, to really do much out of the ordinary to me.

+

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Reposting...

Dazed and Confused
Richard Linklater | 1993

The Battle of Algiers
Gillo Pontecorvo | 1966

Stranger than Paradise
Jim Jarmusch | 1984
+1 for The Battle of Algiers - I also give it a 10/10.. On my Top 10 as well. Highly recommend this to anyone. It's a very important piece of history. The lead was played by the actual revolutionary leader.

Black Mass

I really like my Gangster films and I dont know if I will add this one to the collection. I did like the movie and the performances we good but I cant think of a memorable moment. It is good to see Depp doing a role that show he can act, I'm an Aussie so it is always good to see one in an US film, Edgerton was strong as well. Cumberbatch was questionable as it wasn't really a pivotal role that needed him as an actor and could have been anyone. I look back at Goodfellas and Godfather and all their characters were good to watch had a part to play which added to the story. I think in some ways it was too serious and the outcome was never really in doubt. Still it is a solid film and maybe a second viewing may sway me either way.

3/5 Stars

The Tall T (1957)

+

This was a blind watch from the top 100 Westerns list, that turned out better than I thought after a slow start. The movie is only 78 minutes long, and the first 25 minutes are like a very traditional cowpoke type of Western. The main story starts with only about 50 minutes left, and from then on out, this was a good flick. Very solid acting, dialogue, and tension.

Black Sea (2014)

"Black Sea" is intense, suspenseful thriller- adventure.
I Googled Jude Law an hour ago to see what he was up to lately. Wondered if I could catch this.

Care for some gopher?
Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1975) -

Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1975) -
Great movie.. 1976 though, along with many better movies than "Rocky" which one Best Picture.

There were rumors of a sequel... "Uber Driver"? or "Taxi Driver 2: Death To Uber"?

I have to return some videotapes...
Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012) - Stephen Chbosky

An introvert freshman played by Logan Lerman is taken under the wings of two seniors Ezra Miller and Emma Watson who welcome him to the real world. Logan Lerman does a really great job playing this socially inept kid who has a troubled past and I can't believe how much of a roll this kid is on; from Fury (2014) to this, he's just been killing it. Emma Watson also does a great job with the limited amount of time she is given. The story to this film has been seen before, but Chbosky does a great job at personalizing the characters and showing you the troubled lives that everyone leads. The plot is full of twists and turns, some warranted and some not, but interesting nonetheless. The soundtrack and score to this film is very well done and am surprised it didn't get more recognition. I really loved the character dynamics of this film and some of the scenes are so beautiful, especially the tunnel scene. This film does have it's fair share of problems though and the most blatant one is Ezra Miller. For me at least, this kid is very hit and miss with what he does, while I think he is very good in We Need to Talk about Kevin (2011), in this he just comes off as an annoying brat who is overcooking every inch of dialogue he is given. This film also gets a bit cheesy here and there, but not enough to really take away from the experience. My last gripe, is that
WARNING: "major" spoilers below
I didn't like how much him and Watson tied up in the end. The fact that he was raped by his aunt just didn't really ring true to me and it felt like it would have been better if he hadn't been. Maybe it's just me, but it felt a little forced.
Overall, the film has so many quality moments and is probably relatable for a lot of people out there and some of the performances are stellar.

If I'd snorted a pound of coke and downed 20 cans of Red Bull, it still wouldn't have brought me up to the pace required to make this watchable.

If I'd snorted a pound of coke and downed 20 cans of Red Bull, it still wouldn't have brought me up to the pace recurred to make this watchable.

that dude choco is in the point break remake.

McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971)

I watched this back for the 70's list, and my initial reaction was that it was just ok. However, I said that I may have had a bad viewing, and that I wanted to try it again in the near future. Normally, the results are the same anyway, but not this time. This time I thought it was phenomenal. The two things I really liked the first time was the look of the movie and the soundtrack. Now, for my taste, I almost want to say that this is the best looking movie I've ever seen, and the soundtrack by Leonard Cohen is hauntingly perfect. The big difference with this viewing was that now I completely got into the characters and the narrative. It is a slow movie, but I just found the characters played by Warren Beatty and Julie Christie so very interesting, and Beatty's especially is very unique. I feel like this might be a masterpiece, and that my rating will go up the next time I see it. This movie may be a good example of my growth as a movie watcher.

Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) - Benh Zeitlin

My god, this film is so good. Quvenzhane Wallis does an incredible job at playing the character Hushpuppy who is a girl who lives with her father in a place called the Bathtub, which is in an impoverished bayou community. This film is very smart and has an amazing script, which really understands the people who actually dwell in these real life areas. This film runs rich with symbolism that is beautiful; it also is filled with creative and insightful metaphors about life. There's not a whole lot to say other than please go and watch this movie if you haven't. It's a little slow, but there is a lot of beauty that derives from this small tale. The cinematography is incredible and finds beauty in these grimy, grief stricken places. I can't wait to see more from this director as I am honestly shocked how good this was, as I walked in thinking it wouldn't be that great.

++
I'm only curious, but why do you have it at a relatively low score? The way you described it certainley sounded like at least a 4.

McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971)

I watched this back for the 70's list, and my initial reaction was that it was just ok. However, I said that I may have had a bad viewing, and that I wanted to try it again in the near future. Normally, the results are the same anyway, but not this time. This time I thought it was phenomenal. The two things I really liked the first time was the look of the movie and the soundtrack. Now, for my taste, I almost want to say that this is the best looking movie I've ever seen, and the soundtrack by Leonard Cohen is hauntingly perfect. The big difference with this viewing was that now I completely got into the characters and the narrative. It is a slow movie, but I just found the characters played by Warren Beatty and Julie Christie so very interesting, and Beatty's especially is very unique. I feel like this might be a masterpiece, and that my rating will go up the next time I see it. This movie may be a good example of my growth as a movie watcher.
I liked it the first time, but the second time, it was a Top 10. There's a lot of overlapping dialogue, and a lot of things happening at once. It does start off slow, but there's a lot of themes covered, and some great lines. Definitely a masterpiece - I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

For anyone else interested, it'll be ON-DEMAND (TCM) for 3 more days.