What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

stars wars 3.

because.....its starwars

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by OG-
Who is this Jesus guy I keep hearing about? Can someone please nail it down for me...

I realize I'm already going to the warmer place.
I thought we went through this already...

Some will say he's an around the way guy who is black from back into time... like Santa Clause. But he's really Super Man.
Check it...

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
But he's really Super Man.
Nah, he's really James Woods and he hosts supper with RoboCop. I thought everyone knew that...

But to answer your question, I sadly haven't purchased a DVD in a while. The last I picked up was the special edition of The Fly. I should really get a job. A job other than not having a job, because as my monumentally unproductive 4 day weekends clearly show, not having a job is quite the task in and of itself.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by OG-
Nah, he's really James Woods and he hosts supper with RoboCop. I thought everyone knew that...
I do now...

That was good!

I got:
Phantasm Boxset
Star Wars: Episode 3 (even though i didn't think it was particularly good)

And i ordered:
Rainy Dog
Tetsou 2
Joint Security Area
In the Mood for Love
Versus
Thesis
Battlestar Galactica Miniseries

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
They're not arguements submitted as alternatives to your suggestions. I'm saying that CoG, as an example of the american public turning out to see a "foreign" film, had a few issues of it's own that can also account for a less-than-stellar financial outcome.
"Classic" or not, we lose the emotional through line and the most sympathetic character when we lose sight of the narrator. This could have been worked around in a few ways, but it wasn't. As a result, people didn't walk out of the theaters and immediately insist that everyone they know go see it. That's called "word of mouth" and it's as crucial for a financially successful film as marketing. For illustration, see Dukes of Hazzard, which had a ton of marketing and publicity and was choked to death the second weekend by word of mouth.
ok, does that mean you don't think it's an exellent film? i think it's flawless and if i can see it and say it's superb ( and i'm a white middle class european, as far removed from the characters and story as someone can get ) i don't see why american's wouldn't have flocked to the cinema to see it too....i don't know about you, but as soon as i walked out of the theatre i called or texted everyone i know to let them know what a superb film i saw, and everyone that saw the film agreed with me
yes, because those films have very relatable central characters. CoG starts out and ends with a very relatable narrator, but his through-line takes a back seat through the entire middle section of the film.
em, i still say that you don't have to relate to the characters to enjoy a film and think it's great

See above where I walked you through it. I can get the felt board out and some hand puppets if you still don't get it, Aristotle. (see, I can be a smartass too.. isn't this fun?)
that's the second time you talked to me in a patronising tone, did my post give out some kind of *******-ish vibe that you felt it necessary to respond in this way?
I did answer your question and I just went back and illustrated it. You can read what I'm saying, and realise that we're pretty much in agreement (only I'm making a more detailed analysis of the situation) or you can decide you were right before we started discussing anything and try and pretend I don't know what I'm talking about again. That was neato.
i never tried to imply you didn't know what you were talking about, you dished out some personal opinions on the reasons why CoG didn't do very well in the states and i simply disagreed that those are the right reasons ...you're being fairly passive-agressive, and might i say fairly insulting, bare that in mind the next time you go after someone like obiwanshinobi ey?

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by adidasss
ok, does that mean you don't think it's an exellent film? i think it's flawless ...
We disagree.
I've talked to plenty of people who don't think it's "flawless". It's a good film, but, for the reasons I cited, it's not a perfect litmus test for whether subtitles alone are enough to put off the american public.

that's the second time you talked to me in a patronising tone, did my post give out some kind of *******-ish vibe that you felt it necessary to respond in this way?
Yes. Your tone went from conversational to accusing me of trying to slide my personal opinion through as an objective fact. I didn't. The fact is NOT EVERYONE believes that City of God is "flawless". In fact, you're the first person I've heard use that word to describe it. Due to the fact that there were (painful as it may be for you to face) a few things that could undermine the wild popularity you apparently imagined for the film, it's not just my personal opinion that it might not be the most popular film ever. Reality bears me out on this.

i never tried to imply you didn't know what you were talking about, you dished out some personal opinions on the reasons why CoG didn't do very well in the states and i simply disagreed that those are the right reasons ...
You're refuting my personal opinion with your own personal opinion, and the conclusion you're drawing is illogical.

you're being fairly passive-agressive, and might i say fairly insulting, bare that in mind the next time you go after someone like obiwanshinobi ey?
No. I'm being outright aggressive. You went there and I answered it. You bear that in mind before popping off to me again. There were much less accusatory and insulting ways to state your opinion than those you chose to use. You'd be well advised not to align your behaviours with Obi. He's not generally regarded as a paragon of polite discourse.

The People's Republic of Clogher
ok, does that mean you don't think it's an exellent film? i think it's flawless and if i can see it and say it's superb ( and i'm a white middle class european, as far removed from the characters and story as someone can get ) i don't see why american's wouldn't have flocked to the cinema to see it too....i don't know about you, but as soon as i walked out of the theatre i called or texted everyone i know to let them know what a superb film i saw, and everyone that saw the film agreed with me
If I may step in here....

You're basing your half cocked argument...actually not an argument but rather questioning the taste of the American cinema going public, purely because you think the film is 'flawless' and can't understand anyone not likeing it?

Cindy offered her opinions as to why it didn't go through the roof and you compared it to The Matrix and LOTR?

Eh?

Massive escapist Sci-Fi & Fantasy films compared to a tiny-budgeted S American morality tale?

It didn't do that well because it was a 'small' story (ie, not The Matrix). The European grosses aren't much to write home about either.

In my opinion, City Of God is a decent little movie which gained a following on DVD by word of mouth. Wrong?

We disagree.
I've talked to plenty of people who don't think it's "flawless". It's a good film, but, for the reasons I cited, it's not a perfect litmus test for whether subtitles alone are enough to put off the american public.

Yes. Your tone went from conversational to accusing me of trying to slide my personal opinion through as an objective fact. I didn't. The fact is NOT EVERYONE believes that City of God is "flawless". In fact, you're the first person I've heard use that word to describe it. Due to the fact that there were (painful as it may be for you to face) a few things that could undermine the wild popularity you apparently imagined for the film, it's not just my personal opinion that it might not be the most popular film ever. Reality bears me out on this.
there's that tone again, i never, NEVER, said it is the gratest film ever of that it should have earned as much as the titanic, or that it should be the most popular film ever, you may have gotten on the wrong side of the bed this morning, don't take it out on me, i was merely saying that it should have earned more than the measly what, 9 milion dollars if i remember it correctly? especially when a film as weak as catch me if you can earned 150 million...

You're refuting my personal opinion with your own personal opinion, and the conclusion you're drawing is illogical.

No. I'm being outright aggressive. You went there and I answered it. You bear that in mind before popping off to me again. There were much less accusatory and insulting ways to state your opinion than those you chose to use. You'd be well advised not to align your behaviours with Obi. He's not generally regarded as a paragon of polite discourse.
i reitterate that my post did not deserve such a response, i was just trying to have a normal , mature converstion, at no point did i adress you in a patronising mannor or called you stupid , which you did to me...i may be half your age, but that doesn't give you the right to talk to me that way, especially when you imagine some personal attack, trust me , if i wanted to attack you i would have done it differently....my mistake for trying to have a normal discussion with you......one i shall try not to make again.....

Originally Posted by Tacitus
If I may step in here....

You're basing your half cocked argument...actually not an argument but rather questioning the taste of the American cinema going public, purely because you think the film is 'flawless' and can't understand anyone not likeing it?
yes, i guess i am questioning the taste of the american general public
Cindy offered her opinions as to why it didn't go through the roof and you compared it to The Matrix and LOTR?
i did? you'll have to explain that to me, i mentioned the matrix and the lord of the rings not to directly compare them to CoG ( as i myself think of both those movies as better than CoG and deserving of every penny they earned), she thought the american movie going public didn't go to see CoG because they couldn't relate to it, i merely mentioned those films as other example of unrelatable films, again, i don't think the film needs to be relatable for people to go and see it....

bottom line is, i think that if films like my best friends wedding, catch me if you can, hitch,oceans eleven,wedding crashers,signs,meet the fockers and other mediocre films can earn tens of millions of dollars, CoG should have earned a bit more don't you?
but i grow tired of this argument.....

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
There's definetly something in the air this week, ding-ding, round two....

In the blue corner........fresh from Croatia heeeeeeeeeere's Sugar Ray Adidasss,
In the red corner......... the devastating force of nature,.........Ohio Girl,

Lets get ready to ruuuuuuuuuuuuuumble

( posted bu a slightly more placid Darth Stujitzu )

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

i did?
Well, yeah you did.

you'll have to explain that to me, i mentioned the matrix and the lord of the rings not to directly compare them to CoG ( as i myself think of both those movies as better than CoG and deserving of every penny they earned), she thought the american movie going public didn't go to see CoG because they couldn't relate to it, i merely mentioned those films as other example of unrelatable films, again, i don't think the film needs to be relatable for people to go and see it....
See?

bottom line is, i think that if films like my best friends wedding, catch me if you can, hitch,oceans eleven,wedding crashers,signs,meet the fockers and other mediocre films can earn tens of millions of dollars, CoG should have earned a bit more don't you?
Only if you equate artistic achievement with box office success, or are the film's producer....

As I said, it was a 'small' movie. The ones you mentioned were mainstream Studio pictures - you're compairing apples to oranges.

[b]City of God was a bit far-removed from the lives of most of the american movie-going public
most people don't go to see films that are close to home, if that were true, people would not have gone to see the titanic or say, the matrix, not to mention lord of the rings and a billion other films, but they did so in milions
does that make sense now?

does that make sense now?
Totally - in the sense that you're comparing totally different films:

'Small' movies and 'Big' movies, if you want me to spell it out.

Again.

I think you're missing my point. It's all very well to compare City Of God to Titanic from the point of view that they're both dealing with an 'alien' subject but that's where it all ends.

Small....Big....Apple....Orange.

People went to see Titanic in their droves because it was a big budget elephant of a film which offered escapism, romance, tears and huge stonking big buggers of special effects....not gritty urban realism and kids with guns.

Paddy & Patricia Public would have no interest in it - hence the small takings.

If you want the last word then be my guest...

there's that tone again, i never, NEVER, said it is the gratest film ever of that it should have earned as much as the titanic, or that it should be the most popular film ever,
You said it was "Flawless", and suggested that, given it's utter super mindblowing awesomeness (which caused you to call every person you knew while leaving the theater - you said) that the only reason you can account for it not making heaps of cash in the US was that Americans don't like subtitled films.

you may have gotten on the wrong side of the bed this morning, don't take it out on me, i was merely saying that it should have earned more than the measly what, 9 milion dollars if i remember it correctly? especially when a film as weak as catch me if you can earned 150 million...
And yet, it didn't. I'm offering reasons why it didn't.
You blame marketing, which I pointed out doesn't hold water, because it did have a lot of marketing, and there have been films that had huge marketing campaigns and didn't do well.

i reitterate that my post did not deserve such a response, i was just trying to have a normal , mature converstion, at no point did i adress you in a patronising mannor or called you stupid , which you did to me...i may be half your age, but that doesn't give you the right to talk to me that way, especially when you imagine some personal attack, trust me , if i wanted to attack you i would have done it differently....my mistake for trying to have a normal discussion with you......one i shall try not to make again.....
I already pointed out exactly why you got the response you did from me. It's a moot point now, as you have deleted the post.

yes, i guess i am questioning the taste of the american general public

i did? you'll have to explain that to me, i mentioned the matrix and the lord of the rings not to directly compare them to CoG ( as i myself think of both those movies as better than CoG and deserving of every penny they earned), she thought the american movie going public didn't go to see CoG because they couldn't relate to it, i merely mentioned those films as other example of unrelatable films, again, i don't think the film needs to be relatable for people to go and see it....

but i grow tired of this argument.....
So now your arguement is that Americans see the wrong films?

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
just a little taste of your own medicine, i said i was getting tired of the argument but you simply must have the last word

bottom line:you=wrong, irritable, attacked me for no reason
me= innocent, poor little croatian boy, one of many that experienced your wrath

froggy has been away far too long, i guess you have to fill your monthly bitch-fight quota on someone.....not me sister.....pick someone else.....i come here to relax....

Totally - in the sense that you're comparing totally different films:

'Small' movies and 'Big' movies, if you want me to spell it out.

Again.

I think you're missing my point. It's all very well to compare City Of God to Titanic from the point of view that they're both dealing with an 'alien' subject but that's where it all ends.
did i say it didn't? you assumed i did, my point was exactly that, nothing else.....
Small....Big....Apple....Orange.

People went to see Titanic in their droves because it was a big budget elephant of a film which offered escapism, romance, tears and huge stonking big buggers of special effects....not gritty urban realism and kids with guns.

Paddy & Patricia Public would have no interest in it - hence the small takings.

If you want the last word then be my guest...
the end...

just a little taste of your own medicine, i said i was getting tired of the argument but you simply must have the last word

bottom line:you=wrong, irritable, attacked me for no reason
me= innocent, poor little croatian boy, one of many that experienced your wrath

froggy has been away far too long, i guess you have to fill your monthly bitch-fight quota on someone.....not me sister.....pick someone else.....i come here to relax....
Oh my... sorry I bored you with pointing out how wrong you were with both your assumptions, your wrecked logic and your failure to understand what's being said to you. I guess you get that a lot.

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
sure honey, what ever makes you feel better about yourself....