Films You Haven't Been Able To Find Anywhere Yet

Tools    

Are there any films (or certain versions of films) that you've been looking for for a long time because you eagerly want to see them, but weren't able to find (in acceptable quality) as of yet?

Mention them here and perhaps some people might be able to help you (via PM or in the thread) or just post them because you want to get it out of your system.

Remember to not share illegal links or any stuff like that in this thread!

Here are some of mine:

California Split (1974) - 108 minutes unedited version (I consider this kind of as my holy grail)

Most of Hsiao-Hsien Hou's films, like for instance:
The Puppetmaster (1993)
Flowers of Shanghai (1998)
Millennium Mambo (2001) - 119 minutes version
etc.

The Actress a.k.a. Center Stage (1991) - Director's Cut version (I got a link from Daniel for this one, but it's not working so far) FOUND THIS ONE!

Share yours!

I haven't been able to find Kremhild's Revenge by Fritz Lang. Video stores tell me they have every Fritz Lang movie, and then look for it and come back and say, "except that one apparently..."

I couldn't find it anywhere online either save for a few clips.

Yes, Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars, though they are sci fi series, classics of sci fi. Wanna see those for 2 years now.

Also, Ali Hatami's films, as well as other Bahram Beyzai films, besides Bashu.

The Blob remake from 1988... I don't even think there's a region 2 DVD released yet.

Loved that movie when I was a kid. Haven't seen it since the early 1990s.

I've seen Red Angel. That's a great movie. I found it at an indie video store, but that store has closed down. Still, it shouldn't be that hard to find if you check out a few indie stores in a major city.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
My Holy Grails are

Greed (10-hour mythic version, the movie to end all movies)
Taipei Story (DVD quality)
A Brighter Summer Day (DVD quality)
The Magnificent Ambersons (Welles' version)

The Magnificent Ambersons (Welles' version)
That one will probably never become available, though, will it? I've still not seen The Magnificent Ambersons because I hate watching something that's incomplete or recut. I probably should, though, because some people call the first two thirds some of the best filmmaking in the history of the medium.

As you undoubtedly already know (but other people perhaps don't), another "holy grail" that will probably become available somewhere in the next few years (as opposed to The Magnificent Ambersons) is Orson Welles' The Other Side of the Wind. That's another film I'd love to see.

Here's an excerpt of it:

If they don't muck up the post-production, I think this might become another of Orson's masterpieces (more in the rapid style of F For Fake it seems).

Here's an interesting movie I was reading about the other day - it's considered one of the worst sequels of all time.

It was so bad that a Director's Cut was re-released changing a lot of the plot. I've heard now that the original is almost impossible to find, and only available on rare VHS copies (or Laserdisk in Japan - if you remember what that is).

Finished here. It's been fun.
thanks for making this thread Cob,

there's a few that I want to see that are very difficult to get a hold of, especially Fellini's final film La Voce Della Luna(The Voice of the Moon). Another one is Twilight, the 1990 murder mystery.

What a great idea for a thread! There's probably a long list of the films I'd like to find, but here's some I could think of:

The Funeral - Juzo Itami
The Idiots - Lars von Trier
a bunch of Jean-Luc Godard films
Tokyo Olympiad - Kon Ichikawa
Brother - Takeshi Kitano (complete with the 30 minutes or so cut out of the US version)
The Eel - Shohei Imamura

It really is amazing how many films, in this day and age, have never made it even to the DVD format.

Japanese film Tampopo, The classic Corbuci western The Great Silence, classic 70's film Sleuth, Kobayashi's Human Condition (the first one), Kusturica's Time of the Gypsies, Sidney Lumet movie with Henry Fonda Fail Safe, Mindwalk (1990) with Liv Ullman, Les tontons flingueurs (1963) with Lino Ventura

There are others, but these are the ones off the top of my head

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Japanese film Tampopo, The classic Corbuci western The Great Silence, classic 70's film Sleuth, Kobayashi's Human Condition (the first one), Kusturica's Time of the Gypsies, Sidney Lumet movie with Henry Fonda Fail Safe, Mindwalk (1990) with Liv Ullman, Les tontons flingueurs (1963) with Lino Ventura

There are others, but these are the ones off the top of my head

Sleuth (1972) is available on Blu-Ray DVD for less than $10 on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Sleuth-Blu-ray.../dp/B001221DTW

Fail-Safe (1964) is on YouTube for $2.99 from Sony:

or on DVD from Amazon for about $10:
http://www.amazon.com/Fail-Safe-Henr.../dp/B00004XPPE

Mindwalk is on YouTube for free:

Company: PIRATING IS ILLIGAL
Me: Ok so I won't pirate, can I get this movie in my region?
Company: No
Me:
And suddenly piracy it is your only option again. They tell you "you must not do something", but if they don't provide you the solution, then ... should it be illegal your only option available to get what you need? I wonder.

Men Behind The Sun (1988). Not available in Region 2. Is it really as bad as they say? Compared to the torture movies of the last 10 years, it must be pretty tame.