A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Damningly, I watched the movie like a month ago and I remember VERY little about it.
There was enough that I liked to keep the director's future stuff on my radar. I also watched some of her short films and there's some promise there.

On a superficial level, I'll always roll my eyes at the "wife is seeing stuff that nobody else sees, so husband recommends a nap" setup that has been used 4000 times. Ditto for the "isn't it scary when a person's limbs twitch around unnaturally?" effect. (Who do we have to blame for that one? Tool music videos?)

But the happy/not happy ending has kind of stuck with me, so there's that. It was fine, but I'm reading some gushing reviews and just wondered if I was missing something. (I often am.)

You were absolutely NO help, is what I'm saying.

But the happy/not happy ending has kind of stuck with me, so there's that. It was fine, but I'm reading some gushing reviews and just wondered if I was missing something. (I often am.)
As a think piece, it's fine. Like, the ideas are interesting. As a movie though? Meh. It uses a lot out worn out tropes (as you identify) to explore its themes.

You were absolutely NO help, is what I'm saying.
Fine, but that chicken kale salad DID need balsamic.

As a think piece, it's fine. Like, the ideas are interesting. As a movie though? Meh. It uses a lot out worn out tropes (as you identify) to explore its themes.
Well, I have more confidence in my middling rating now, at least. Thanks.

chicken kale salad
You misspelled "Velveeta Ultimate Cheeseburger Mac"

I am 13 minutes into Puppet Masters (the sci-fi one), and thus far:

1) The male lead has scolded the female lead for being dressed too slutty. She's wearing a blouse and a jacket.
2) They are determining if people are possessed or whatever based on whether or not they will look down the female lead's shirt.
3) Richard Beltzer! And the opening credits promised me Yaphet Kotto!
4) I love that the main characters go to the trouble of getting forged IDs pretending to be a family, then go on a walk through the woods in their obviously-federal-government suits.

Oh wow, thank you guys for recommending Pulse, I went in blind, had to re-watch immediately. Masterpiece, badly overlooked.

Oh wow, thank you guys for recommending Pulse, I went in blind, had to re-watch immediately. Masterpiece, badly overlooked.
Yes, it's fantastic. I honestly think it's suffered a bit by having both a title and cover artwork that feels like very generic early 2000s J-horror. Instead it's more in the space of something like Cure.

I totally didn't expect how
WARNING: spoilers below
large-scale it would go with its final act

This weeks movie night produced a solid film and an interesting misfire.

The Blackening was a mostly entertaining horror comedy, I liked that it did take some time to actually try and build some tension though I wish it had been a bit more interesting in it's violence, I feel like a bit of over the top elements there would have both amped up the comedy and brought more uncomfortableness and uncertainty to what could happen to the protagonists. Humor mostly worked though some of it just wasn't really my cup of tea. I feel like with a little refinement this could have been a really good black comedy (pun intended) but even as is it's was still entertaining enough that those who like horror comedies might want to check it out.

Alien Resurrection is the misfire, it just feels like the script and the direction are at odds with each other, which considering trivia I read afterwards might just be the case. I didn't realize Joss Whedon had wrote the film, or at least had forgotten that he had, and he was apparently disappointed that the director filmed it so serious when we was writing tongue in cheek. Now I'm not sure I would have been on board for that either as a tongue in cheek Alien film doesn't sound like what I want from the franchise but then again this take on the material also didn't really work. I like most of the actors, the performances are fine but it never gels into something whole. Also man the Aliens, despite killing a bunch of people, just don't feel as threatening as they do in the previous films, add some iffy CGI and a really bad creature design and resolution at the end and I think maybe they should have just let Ripley stay dead.

Alien Resurrection is the misfire, it just feels like the script and the direction are at odds with each other, which considering trivia I read afterwards might just be the case. I didn't realize Joss Whedon had wrote the film, or at least had forgotten that he had, and he was apparently disappointed that the director filmed it so serious when we was writing tongue in cheek. Now I'm not sure I would have been on board for that either as a tongue in cheek Alien film doesn't sound like what I want from the franchise but then again this take on the material also didn't really work. I like most of the actors, the performances are fine but it never gels into something whole. Also man the Aliens, despite killing a bunch of people, just don't feel as threatening as they do in the previous films, add some iffy CGI and a really bad creature design and resolution at the end and I think maybe they should have just let Ripley stay dead.
Alien Resurrection is such an interesting WTF mess. I mean, completely unsuccessful, but it is kind of wild that it exists. Just the director-duo choice alone is surprising to see the studios give a major franchise to them. Admittedly, I guess I can see how someone might think the directors of City of Lost Children might be a good match for the H.R. Giger aesthetic of the world, but the end result shows that they clearly were not. I do wonder if I ever watch Amelie and go back to this, if I'll see the progenitor of that movie here. Maybe in Ripley? Winona Ryder's character? The reconstructed Alien Queen? Without ever seeing Amelie, I'd like to see the fake trailer of the Alien Queen going on a magical realism trip through the Great War to find true love (is that what Amelie is about?)

I will die on the hill that Alien Resurrection is a blast if you can forget that it's part of the Alien franchise and just enjoy it as a sci-fi popcorn action movie. There are some great action setpieces, Sigourney and Ron Perlman are a fun combo to watch.

Now Alien 3, *that* movie sucked.

Nooooo!

I just got another job and now you are TEMPTING ME with things I want but should not buy. Ugh, and it's generally affordable, darn it!

Freaks is an all-time favorite. And while I'm not sure I'd say I love The Unknown, it's so quotable! ("Men! With their hands!!"). Haven't seen The Mystic.

Nooooo!

I just got another job and now you are TEMPTING ME with things I want but should not buy. Ugh, and it's generally affordable, darn it!

Freaks is an all-time favorite. And while I'm not sure I'd say I love The Unknown, it's so quotable! ("Men! With their hands!!"). Haven't seen The Mystic.
Start a GoFundMe, I'd happily contribute, buddy.

I knew virtually nothing about The Mystic before this disc was announced. Looking forward to that one. And yeah, The Unknown has a high rewatch factor. My only quibble is that The Unholy Three is also a circus-set Browning film so I'm bummed it wasn't included. But that's just me being greedy.

Start a GoFundMe, I'd happily contribute, buddy.

I knew virtually nothing about The Mystic before this disc was announced. Looking forward to that one. And yeah, The Unknown has a high rewatch factor. My only quibble is that The Unholy Three is also a circus-set Browning film so I'm bummed it wasn't included. But that's just me being greedy.
I already own Freaks, which is one I watch frequently. (Mostly because I LOVE watching it with people who have not seen it before). That takes the edge off of wanting the set just a bit. A bit!

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
I wanted to like Alien Resurrection but I agree it just didn't work for me. It wasn't bad, but it's wasn't good, imo. Oh well. The cast is rad, that's true, and the basketball scene is hilarious.

Latest Movie Viewing: Wings (1927)
Latest Album Listened To: Honky Château, Elton John (1972)
Latest TV Show Viewed: Doctor Who

Halloween III: Season of the Witch -

Our favorite William Shatner-masked villain or not, this is great horror, and like They Live, it demonstrates the expertise of Carpenter (along with writers Kneale and Wallace) with stories about the dangers of consumerism. It's a week before October 31, and a company called Silver Shamrock is flooding the airwaves with hypnotic commercials for their top-of-the-line Halloween masks. Meanwhile, an old man flees some stone-faced, corporate-looking pursuers, doesn't exactly make it out unscathed, ends up in the hospital, and what does his doctor (Atkins) find in his effects? You guessed it: a mask. This leads him and the stranger's comely relative, Ellie (Nelkin), to Silver Shamrock's headquarters so they can stick it to their corporate overlords (and oddly enough, the Irish).

As Jack Burton in Big Trouble in Little China and Nada in They Live indicate, Carpenter productions excel at crafting and casting everyman leads who are thrust down rabbit holes, and Atkins' Dr. Challis is worthy of being mentioned alongside them. He is convincing as the only sane person in this world and in his frustrations with this responsibility. He has a worthy adversary in Dan O'Herlihy's Silver Shamrock CEO Conal Cochran, who masterfully personifies corporate insincerity and sleaze. Horror and not corporate intrigue is on this movie's mind first, though, i.e., the horrors of losing the ability to make decisions for yourself and of forced conformity. I'll probably never forget the music in that damned commercial, and what's more, there's an unsettling montage showing kids across America buying the masks and putting them on as if they had no choice. As for the Silver Shamrock employees, their uniform dress, hairstyles and complete lack of emotion might as well have inspired the agents in The Matrix movies. If all of this makes the movie sound like The Invasion of the Body Snatchers lite, I don't blame you, but it has enough of a unique, not to mention era-specific spin on these tropes that I never minded. The scares are thankfully tinged with the right amount of comic relief, especially in Ellie's understandable inability to resist one of cinema's great moustaches.

Back to that "Irish" bit: as the evil corporation's and its leader's name imply, they're all Irish, and even though it's explained later, you might wonder if the writers have something against them. There are also some noticeably listless moments here and there that come across like filler and that affect the pacing. I still had a blast and consider it a prime example of '80s horror and not just because it came out in that decade, if you will. In addition, this is hopefully no longer a concern, but its stigma of being the only movie in the franchise without Michael Myers should not be a stigma.

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
As much as I enjoy Halloween III I doubt the movie would have worked as well if Tom Atkins hadn't been involved. Too bad we never got to see him go up against ole Mikey.

There was enough that I liked to keep the director's future stuff on my radar. I also watched some of her short films and there's some promise there.
Bad news, everyone! I just read an interesting analysis of the film and now I feel that I must revisit it with that different lens.

Boo! Or maybe yay! We'll see!

As much as I enjoy Halloween III I doubt the movie would have worked as well if Tom Atkins hadn't been involved. Too bad we never got to see him go up against ole Mikey.
Atkins and his 'stache are gifts to horror cinema. Possibly cinema's best 'stache, not just horror.

Bad news, everyone! I just read an interesting analysis of the film and now I feel that I must revisit it with that different lens.

Boo! Or maybe yay! We'll see!
Ha, I had to scroll back to remind myself what we were even discussing.
But yeah, the point of my original post was that my reaction wasn't meshing with some of the glowing reviews, so I will not be offended to learn that I missed something.

Ha, I had to scroll back to remind myself what we were even discussing.
But yeah, the point of my original post was that my reaction wasn't meshing with some of the glowing reviews, so I will not be offended to learn that I missed something.
So I read a short review about how the film is a critique of that way that women, and specifically queer women, are forced to contort themselves into traditional "wife-y" roles. Because I hadn't been totally able to reconcile that subplot in the film, I think I'll give it another go with that reading in mind.

However, just because I appreciate the ideas more doesn't necessarily mean I'll enjoy the film a lot more. I mostly remember being bothered by some underdeveloped character work and predictable images/scares. A great concept/social critique won't fix those problems.