A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Are there any worthwhile horror movies that take place during the summer, possibly around when school gets out?

I'm reading Dan Simmons' Summer of Night and recently rewatched Dazed and Confused, the latter not being horror, but there's something about summer's vibe of freedom, intense heat and all those empty school buildings that make it suitable for the genre.
Obviously a ton of horror takes place at summer camp. Are you wanting something not-summer campy but still summer?

Obviously a ton of horror takes place at summer camp. Are you wanting something not-summer campy but still summer?
Ooh, good point...I didn't even consider the obvious in Sleepaway Camp, Friday the 13th and their sequels when I asked. Camp or no camp, I'll gladly accept your recs.

Are there any worthwhile horror movies that take place during the summer, possibly around when school gets out?

I'm reading Dan Simmons' Summer of Night and recently rewatched Dazed and Confused, the latter not being horror, but there's something about summer's vibe of freedom, intense heat and all those empty school buildings that make it suitable for the genre.
Piranha 3D is campy self-aware fun. And there’s no shortage of shark movies.

Ooh, good point...I didn't even consider the obvious in Sleepaway Camp, Friday the 13th and their sequels when I asked. Camp or no camp, I'll gladly accept your recs.
Great Summer Films
Predator
Jaws
Friday the 13th
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Sleepaway Camp
Friday the 13th Part 2
The Witch Who Came from the Sea

Worth Watching Summer Films
Piranha
Make Out with Violence
The Sand
There's Someone Inside Your House
Fear Street Part 2
The Burning
Cabin Fever
The Prowler
You Might Be the Killer
Lady in a Cage
It Stains the Sands Red
Cub

Summer Films? (aka Takoma doesn't know the difference between "summer" and "the desert")
Tremors
Lake Mungo
Revenge (2017)
The Visit
Phantasm
The Bad Batch

Great Summer Films
Predator
Jaws
Friday the 13th
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Sleepaway Camp
Friday the 13th Part 2
The Witch Who Came from the Sea

Worth Watching Summer Films
Piranha
Make Out with Violence
The Sand
There's Someone Inside Your House
Fear Street Part 2
The Burning
Cabin Fever
The Prowler
You Might Be the Killer
Lady in a Cage
It Stains the Sands Red
Cub

Summer Films? (aka Takoma doesn't know the difference between "summer" and "the desert")
Tremors
Lake Mungo
Revenge (2017)
The Visit
Phantasm
The Bad Batch
Whoa, thanks! And here I was thinking there are only a handful. I won't have to leave the house (which I wouldn't do anyway since it's so freakin' hot).

Have heard good things about The Witch Who Came from the Sea and It Stains the Sands Red.

Whoa, thanks! And here I was thinking there are only a handful. I won't have to leave the house (which I wouldn't do anyway since it's so freakin' hot).

Have heard good things about The Witch Who Came from the Sea and It Stains the Sands Red.
Yeah, I normally don't run my AC in the summer (for money and environmental reasons), but with the temps in the 90s and humidity in the upper 80s, I've decided to have it on today. The cats (who were dramatically melting) seem grateful, LOL.

The Witch Who Came from the Sea takes kind of a standard horror premise (a woman who hates men!) and tackles it from an angle that is very overt and disturbing, but also ultimately empathetic. I think that the ending is particularly strong.

Keep your expectations in the mid-range for It Stains the Sands Red. I mention it a lot because I think it deserves more of an audience, but it's not quite great. But the story of a woman lost in the desert being slowly stalked by a zombie and forming a weird attachment to him is just all around better than it should be. Like, imagine if It Follows was ultimately about forming a friendship with your 0.5 MPH stalker. I think that the two lead performances are really good, and their chemistry (weird as that sounds considering I don't think he says a word and the writing for her character is spotty at times) really elevates it.

I'll also give a special shout out to The Sand which is just some good old fashioned dumb fun.

It isnt that well-received, but I think Beneath (since there are at least three films with the same title, I should probably clarify that I'm referring to this version) is a quality horror film.

I feel like it's been a real, long time since I've seen Serial Experiments Lain.
Sorry, my mind wandered there.
Man I love Serial Experiments Lain, watched it at an anime club in College and it definitely blew my mind at the time. It, along with Dark City, paved the way for an interest in darker reality bending media for me. Which to tie things back in definitely made me interested in the works of Satoshi Kon and Perfect Blue had me hook line and sinker when I saw it.

Don't most (horror) films occur during the summer (or at least not during the winter)? Anyway, here are some not yet mentioned by Takoma:

Poison for the Fairies
The Innocents (the Norwegian one from 2021)
Dust Devil
Who Can Kill a Child?
Cannibal Holocaust
Impetigore
Onibaba
Razorback
Anthropophagous

Fear No Evil was dope. Thanks to Crumbsroom for giving me a nudge to check it out.

Full Review  

Piranha 3D -

Can A-list talent elevate C-grade material? I’m not sure, but there are more hits than misses in this horror comedy that's as bloody as it is silly. Set in Arizona's fictional Lake Victoria, it kicks off with a familiar face meeting our not-so-welcome visitors during a fishing trip. As luck would have it, not only is the lake a popular spring break locale, but the vaunted week is just around the corner. Speaking of luck, our hero, Jake (McQueen), would very much like to be dancing on a boat with the rest of the sexy revelers, but he's stuck babysitting his younger brother and sister. His circumstances change in an unexpected way, though, when a chance meeting with adult film director Derrick (O'Connell) lands him a dream job: location scout. It should be no surprise that he takes his crew to piranha ground (or is it water?) zero.

I mentioned the A-list talent off the bat because the cast is my favorite thing about the movie. It was nice to see Ving Rhames and the eternally charming Elisabeth Shue, who plays a police officer and Jake's mother, as well as familiar faces who I won’t spoil as a wet T-shirt contest host and piranha expert, but the MVP is easily Jerry O'Connell. He makes Derrick a hilarious and loathsome piece of work in equal measure. I'll admit right now that I watched this on Max and without the titular gimmick, but I'll at least say that the sequences utilizing it look impressive in 2D as well. One is set to the "Flower Duet" from Lakme and is so artistic that it seems like it should belong in a better movie, and the other made me laugh, but let's just say I'm glad I wasn't eating anything at the time. Moments like the latter also pepper the bloodbath scene typical of movies like this one, and for the most part, none of them disappointed. These and other moments meant to terrify are diluted (no pun intended), however, by the dated and cartoonish CGI of the piranhas. I also found myself looking at my phone during a lot of the third act. With that said, I went in looking for something dumb, silly and with "fun in the sun” vibes, and on the whole, it succeeds. Oh, and despite the disappointing third act, it at least concludes on the right note.

I liked M3gan more than I expected. Came in hoping it would be an heir to tongue-in-cheek 80's creature features like Chucky or Critters. M3gan serves that up competently and also managed to make me feel a little bit genuinely concerned for the mother-daughter relationship. I would have liked it more if the movie took itself a bit less seriously and leaned into the silly camp possibilities of a killer robot doll going amok. This movie really needed just one super-zany robot murder to make it complete.

Fear No Evil was dope. Thanks to Crumbsroom for giving me a nudge to check it out.

Full Review  

I've never known exactly how to take the fab cape, but I definitely lean on the '**** yeah' spectrum. While I think it is fair to read into possibly homophobic inclinations (it is the 80's after all), I prefer to view it as an outsider who finally owns what makes him different and metamorphizes into the unapologetically gay son of Satan.

Maybe that wasn't their intention, but that's what I am going to take it as.

I've never known exactly how to take the fab cape, but I definitely lean on the '**** yeah' spectrum. While I think it is fair to read into possibly homophobic inclinations (it is the 80's after all), I prefer to view it as an outsider who finally owns what makes him different and metamorphizes into the unapologetically gay son of Satan.

Maybe that wasn't their intention, but that's what I am going to take it as.
Yeah, I borderline liked Andrew as a character, so it's not homophobic in the sense of him being predatory or whatever. But, you know, connecting gay and satan with such a straight (LOL) line can't help but feel a bit iffy on some fronts.

But like you say, at points it feels like an appropriate response, especially in terms of where those powers manifest themselves (being picked on in gym class, being harassed in the shower).

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
I love The Witch Who Came From The Sea. I found Fear No Evil to be alright, I didn't enjoy it as much as as you did Takoma11 but that's alright. Jackie I enjoyed M3GAN but I did want a bit more killer robot moments. Perhaps the eventual sequel will have more of that.

Latest Movie Viewing: Wings (1927)
Latest Album Listened To: Honky Château, Elton John (1972)
Latest TV Show Viewed: Doctor Who

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
I finally watched Sharknado, it's glorious Z grade movie entertainment that's dumb fun. Exactly what I was looking for tonight, my brain wasn't in the mood for any heavy lifting.

Last night I watched Huesera: The Bone Woman on Shudder and I'm struggling with my reaction to it. Please watch it and tell me if I liked it. Ok thanks.
While you found the themes about being hesitant about motherhood to be interesting, you found the overall execution lacking because the film never fully develops its main character and the highly conceptual nature of the horror requires deep character work. It also gave you flashbacks to babysitting difficult children, which was legit the scariest part for you. You also enjoyed the kale chicken wrap you ate while watching the film, but it was missing something. That something was balsamic vinegar.

While you found the themes about being hesitant about motherhood to be interesting, you found the overall execution lacking because the film never fully develops its main character and the highly conceptual nature of the horror requires deep character work. It also gave you flashbacks to babysitting difficult children, which was legit the scariest part for you. You also enjoyed the kale chicken wrap you ate while watching the film, but it was missing something. That something was balsamic vinegar.
Uncanny!