Documentary HOF Part 2

Tools    

I suppose we are all cancelled in some way then. Maybe you are joking? If not, is that a fair assessment of “cancel culture”?
Sorta joking tone, as in a lighter post and not trying to be controversial, just topical.

But I was being serious in that Takoma had said in the Persona Rec Hof she wouldn't watch Woody Allen films. Does that cancel him? I guess it's the same as one vote for any candidate. One vote or one cancel vote doesn't do nothing, but they can add up to a point where businesses like streaming services take note and remove certain movies from their services. I call that part of the cancel culture.

but they can add up to a point where businesses like streaming services take note and remove certain movies from their services. I call that part of the cancel culture.
This is where I agree with you definition of being cancelled, but disagree that it has happened to Allen. It seems like just the perception of being cancelled is enough.

This is where I agree with you definition of being cancelled, but disagree that it has happened to Allen. It seems like just the perception of being cancelled is enough.
Sorry for the late reply, after I initially posted this morning I had to leave for the day, just got home.

Yeah I agree Allen isn't cancelled and I for one plan on watching more of his filmography. If you haven't seen it, I recommend Wonder Wheel.

Sorry for the late reply, after I initially posted this morning I had to leave for the day, just got home.

Yeah I agree Allen isn't cancelled and I for one plan on watching more of his filmography. If you haven't seen it, I recommend Wonder Wheel.
Wonder Wheel was a bit of a disappointment for me because it paired Allen with Winslet, who is also one of my favorites. I didn’t hate it,, but definitely in that muddled middle of his filmography for me. Blue Jasmine is my favorite of his in the last decade or so. There are a handful I haven’t seen. He makes a crazy amount of movies.

I forgot the opening line.
I’m mostly agreeing with the assessments of the Woody Allen doc, but I am still waiting to hear how exactly he has been punished or canceled. Still feels like a figment of our cultures imagination.
I think it was that thing with his book just about to come out, and then his publisher dropping the whole deal when there was a mass walkout. Plus all the famous actors coming out and doing interviews about how they'd never appear in a Woody Allen movie, and those who have stated they'd donate any money they made from him to a Me Too charity. He's got a good proportion of people out there thinking he's a paedophile, which is unpleasant to have to deal with.

The whole thing with Soon-Yi just made him look terrible - there's no spinning that, even though he was never her step-father.

Definitely not cancelled though. I assume being cancelled means you can't make and release movies anymore. Nearly cancelled book-wise at the most.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

A little bonus watch since I was looking forward to another Malle. Watched on a beautiful transfer with flawless subtitles on the best streaming service in the world nonetheless.

This is a very cool doc. There isn’t much to say about it because it is just observing human nature. I could watch a doc like this a week though. Different areas and countries. I love just hearing people talk and try to articulate their world views. Not because I’m being judgmental but because you realize it’s how most of us think and talk. We kind of talk ourselves in circles and go off on random tangents. Human nature is a wonderful thing to behold. Really enjoyed this. Bummer it isn’t going to be in the running.

...Watched on a beautiful transfer with flawless subtitles on the best streaming service in the world nonetheless...
I see what you did there

BTW is that doc still in the HOF? I thought it was being changed out? It doesn't matter to me, just curious as I was wondering what the replacement would be.

I see what you did there

BTW is that doc still in the HOF? I thought it was being changed out? It doesn't matter to me, just curious as I was wondering what the replacement would be.
It’s out but we haven’t gotten a replacement yet.

I'm super busy at work so I am just going to let you know I have seen three of the docs this weekend.

Mr. Death
The Woody Allen one with the long title: He is innocent
King of Kong
I enjoyed all three of them. The Woody one kind of opened my eyes to the notion that Mia is the one keeping the accusation alive. I already had a problem with Woody dating Mia's daughter. That was just nasty. Sow the wind. Reap the whirlwind. I would definitely call the Woody one a video essay. But does that make it "not" a documentary? That might be an interesting discussion.

Mr. Death was excellent. I believe there is a film with Timothy Spall as the neo-nazi and Rachel Weisz as a prosecutor (I think). They actually have a scientist debunk Mr. Death's findings in that movie.
In King of Kong, Billy Mitchell was so smug, he made a perfect villain.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Regarding Place De La Republique:

It seems as if it won't be in. There may or may not be a replacement as Matt hasn't started watching the noms yet anyways. I feel no real need to push the issue. If Matt wants back in, I'll just extend the time.

I still would recommend people seeing Place De La Republique. I thought it was good.

The reaction to the Woody Allen documentary is fascinating to me. Woody and Soon Yi have been together for 30 years what he did was not a crime or fairly unusual. The reaction is yeah he was accused of molesting a seven year old...but he wasn't cancelled and he still had a gross relationship so it's okay that this man had his child stolen away from him.

Also we are just going to ignore the physical and psychological damage Mia inflicted on her children because...well we don't like the relationship between Woody and Soon Yi. Three of her children are dead, two are estranged...

As for the notion if the film is a documentary or a "film essay". I think it's a strong element of a performative documentary. It's pushing you towards an emotional response by going through the history of the case and hitting you with a series of hard facts.

Of the age difference....Frank Sinatra and Mia Farrow
Marrying an ex wife’s daughter?

Pretty sure I didn’t have to explain that but here we are.